Florence and Tim

Fiance and Fiancee

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

So I had no idea what the extra e was for. Ijust checked the dictionary finally. 

If in my I-129F I referred to my fiancee as my fiance, but I always made sure to use her full name to clarify things, will they be confused on the gender of my fiancee and send me an RFE? Actually my fiancee asked me last night what the extra "e" was for on the NOA1. I said, "It must have something to do with the French." It probably does, but, I'm just scared that USCIS won't get my lack of knowledge about the "genderedness" of this word. I really have no excuse I guess. English is my native language. Wow. This one is...yeah...

-Tim

• September 17, 2005 - Florence and Tim met in Hong Kong for first time
    May 27, 2006 - Tim left Hong Kong to study in Beijing
    July 8, 2006 - Tim returned to Hong Kong to annoy Florence
    August 8, 2006 - Tim had to go back to school in U.S.
    December 18, 2006 - Tim returned to Hong Kong to spend holidays with Florence
    January 6, 2007 - Florence accepted Tim's begging plea to marry him and had engagement dinner
    January 13, 2007 - Tim had to go back to school again :(
    January 15, 2007 - Started putting together all the documents for the I-129F filing
    January 18, 2007 - Sent to Nebraska Service Center via overnight USPS - expensive :( - but fast :)
    January 24, 2007 - NOA1 Issued
    January 27, 2007 - NOA1 Received by Mail
    May 1, 2007 - Touched
    May 1, 2007 - NOA2
    May 2, 2007 - Touched
    May 13, 2007 - Tim went to HK to visit Florence
    May 22, 2007 - Package sent from NVC to HK Consulate
    June 6, 2007 - Florence received packet 3
    June 8, 2007 - Florence finished filling out packet 3
    June 9. 2007 - Florence went for medical exam and to request police certificate
    June 16, 2007 - Florence got interview scheduling letter from HK Consulate
    July 12, 2007 - Interview at Hong Kong Consulate for Florence, successful
    July 22, 2007 - Florence came to U.S.
    September 15, 2007 - We had our wedding!
    Now working on the AOS papers.

Don't worry... I'd say the majority of people are oblivious to the distinction between a fiance and a fiancee, and if USCIS send you an RFE to double-check that your fiancee is indeed a fiancee and not a fiance, I will... eat my hat, or something. :lol:

I'm always more bemused when people seem appear to get 'fiance(e)' mixed up with 'finance' - I'm sure there must have been more than a few petitions sent in with people talking about bringing their finance to the US, etc... :hehe:

What was my point? Oh yeah - don't worry about it, don't even give it another thought!

So I had no idea what the extra e was for. Ijust checked the dictionary finally. 

If in my I-129F I referred to my fiancee as my fiance, but I always made sure to use her full name to clarify things, will they be confused on the gender of my fiancee and send me an RFE? Actually my fiancee asked me last night what the extra "e" was for on the NOA1. I said, "It must have something to do with the French." It probably does, but, I'm just scared that USCIS won't get my lack of knowledge about the "genderedness" of this word. I really have no excuse I guess. English is my native language. Wow. This one is...yeah...

-Tim

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Tim

Believe it or not it's a very common mistake, I wouldn't worry about it. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Don't worry about it, I'm sure they'll figure it out. Many people just use the fiance spelling generically. It would be interesting to see what the RFE would ask for to prove she is a she! :D

By the way, hello to a fellow Illini! I'm in Bloomington, I see you're in Champaign, just a stone's throw away.

I hope your visa journey is trouble and RFE-free!

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We worry about the smallest details :innocent:

Don't worry, I never knew there was a gender difference between the two :lol:

You'll be fine!

David and Pu's Timeline

10/20/2006 Submitted I129F to TSC

10/23/2006 Transferred to CSC

10/26/2006 NOA1 sent snail mail

11/13/2006 Received NOA1 - (Late due to my changing residences on 11/1. FYI, move before you file!)

11/13/2006 Called Customer Service to change address

11/29/2006 Touched!

12/02/2006 Received verification of Change of Address - snail mail

01/10/2007 Bought ticket to visit Pu on Valentines Day!

01/17/2007 NOA2!! via email

01/29/2007 NVC Left - Headed for Bangkok!

02/07/2007 Packet 3 mailed from US Embassy!

02/10/2007 Packet 3 received

02/20/2007 Packet 3 mailed (EMS Next Day)

02/21/2007 Packet 3 Received at Embassy (no signature)

03/06/2007 Received response from Embassy - Packet 4 mailed 02/28/07. Interview scheduled 5/16/2007!

05/16/2007 Interview. Embassy requests passport amended. Luckily the turnaround time is two days in Bangkok.

05/21/2007 Pu returns to Embassy with new passport, visa granted. Visa issued the following day.

05/26/2007 Pu arrives in USA!

05/30/2007 Married!

06/26/2007 Overnighted AOS petition to Chicago Lockbox

06/27/2007 AOS petition delivered to Chicago lockbox, signed for by V Bustamante

Don't worry... I'd say the majority of people are oblivious to the distinction between a fiance and a fiancee, and if USCIS send you an RFE to double-check that your fiancee is indeed a fiancee and not a fiance, I will... eat my hat, or something. :lol:

I'm always more bemused when people seem appear to get 'fiance(e)' mixed up with 'finance' - I'm sure there must have been more than a few petitions sent in with people talking about bringing their finance to the US, etc... :hehe:

What was my point? Oh yeah - don't worry about it, don't even give it another thought!

-Tim

:lol: cant stop :lol::lol:

[/center]

AOS/EAD APPLICATION

Got my SSN

had my immunization info transferred in I-693a thank God!

May 11, 2007-AOS mailed

May 13, 2007- item was delivered in CHICAGO IL

May 16, 2007- AOS/EAD NOA recieved

June 2, 2007- Biometrics Appointment Date

June 21,2007-AOS transferred to California Service Center

July 10, 2007-I-485 Card production Ordered

July 11, 2007-Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident.

July 13, 2007-Approval notice sent- I-485

July 19, 2007- Green Card Arrived! Wooohooo!

July 24, 2007- I passed my driving written test!

August 22, 2007 Passed my road test and started my work!

April 2009- Removing Conditions Applied

September 11 -got my 10 Year green card! yahooo!

December 2010- Apply for Citizenship

• 2 years later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

I just found this post....

I have to admit I did the same thing and was a bit worried about it.

I put 'fiance' on the I-134 form and of course my fiancee is a woman. ;)

The most embarrassing thing is that my Japanese fiancee pointed out my error after she received the form from me in the mail.

She has lost all confidence in my English ability. :lol: :lol: :bonk: :bonk:

Our Timeline

10.13.08 - Engaged!

11.25.08 - I-129F mailed

12.02.08 - Check cashed

12.05.08 - NOA1 received

03.17.09 - Received Email stating that I-129F Petition is approved (NOA2)

03.21.09 - Received NOA2 in the mail

03.26.09 - Received letter from NVC stating that they received and approved the I-129F Petition

04.01.09 - Packet 3 Received

04.06.09 - Packet 3 Sent

06.04.09 - Packet 4 Received

06.29.09 - Interview Date

07.01.09 - K1 VISA RECEIVED!!!

07.25.09 - POE - JFK

09.12.09 - Wedding!

09.21.09 - AOS,EAD,AP mailed

09.30.09 - Check cashed

10.05.09 - NOA1 received (AOS,EAD,AP)

10.26.09 - Received Notice of Transfer (AOS transfered to CSC)

10.28.09 - Biometrics Appointment

11.02.09 - AP Received

11.09.09 - EAD Received

11.12.09 - SSN Application accepted at SSA office

12.01.09 - AOS NOA2 Received (Approved - Welcome to U.S.A.)

12.04.09 - Green Card received in mail (Permanent Resident Card)

12.15.09 - Social Security Card received (with work authorization condition)

08.26.11 - I-751 Mailed

09.04.11 - NOA received

06.04.12 - I-751 Approved

06.14.12 - GC Received

-Tim

Well, since petitioning your same-sex partner is not allowed, I don't think USCIS would send you an RFE, if they thought your fiancee was a man....they'd just reject your petition for cause. :whistle:

Funny...I always referred to M as my 'finance' during the time we were engaged. ;)

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

-Tim

Extra "e" is for estrogen.

No it will not make a difference

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.