Capricorn80

ADVICE PLS.

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi friends,

I have been on this forum for some months since I was selected for DV 2015 and it has been very helpful. Recently I have been so confused so I thought to share. As the saying goes"A problem shared is a problem solved". I passed all other subjects in the Waec(West Africa Examinations Council) but failed one of the major subject which is English, I registered to resit my english test a few months ago in my home country which is now battling with the deadly Ebola virus and they put everything on hold. I spoke to a friend recently and he advised that I sit TOEFL test which is an international English test that is recognized all over the world. And the U.S Embassy in my country has on it page that it is mandatory for all dv applicants in my country to pass the waec examination. I'm in ghana and earlier on when I was selected and filing in ds 260 I asked KCC to forward my case to my country. I'm current at the moment but waiting 2nd notification letter in email. And recently the US Embassy in my country published that there will be ni medicals done there and sosuccessful dv applicants are asked to do their medicals in a nearby country with a US physician panel instructed by the US embassy and after you could return and continue your process or you ask for your case to be sent to another country for processing, these were the two options they gave. I have decided to write KCC this week asking them to foward my case back to ghana where I can sit my interview due to the current situations in my country. The problem is can I sit the TOEFL test which is administer every three to four times in a month, can this test prove as a substitute for the English I failed? I don't know why but I think I was cheated in the waec cause I write and speak good English and I do not see this as something to hold me back. I have my high school diploma, transcripts and all other documents with me. I'm worried about this pls advice, Thanks in advance.

Hi friends,

I have been on this forum for some months since I was selected for DV 2015 and it has been very helpful. Recently I have been so confused so I thought to share. As the saying goes"A problem shared is a problem solved". I passed all other subjects in the Waec(West Africa Examinations Council) but failed one of the major subject which is English, I registered to resit my english test a few months ago in my home country which is now battling with the deadly Ebola virus and they put everything on hold. I spoke to a friend recently and he advised that I sit TOEFL test which is an international English test that is recognized all over the world. And the U.S Embassy in my country has on it page that it is mandatory for all dv applicants in my country to pass the waec examination. I'm in ghana and earlier on when I was selected and filing in ds 260 I asked KCC to forward my case to my country. I'm current at the moment but waiting 2nd notification letter in email. And recently the US Embassy in my country published that there will be ni medicals done there and sosuccessful dv applicants are asked to do their medicals in a nearby country with a US physician panel instructed by the US embassy and after you could return and continue your process or you ask for your case to be sent to another country for processing, these were the two options they gave. I have decided to write KCC this week asking them to foward my case back to ghana where I can sit my interview due to the current situations in my country. The problem is can I sit the TOEFL test which is administer every three to four times in a month, can this test prove as a substitute for the English I failed? I don't know why but I think I was cheated in the waec cause I write and speak good English and I do not see this as something to hold me back. I have my high school diploma, transcripts and all other documents with me. I'm worried about this pls advice, Thanks in advance.

I don't know why you did badly in high school English but, unfortunately, if they require particular WAEC grades that is what you need to show to get your visa. TOEFL won't be a substitute for that. Can't you do the exam in another WA country? (And Are you absolutely sure that you need a pass in English considering you already have your high school diploma?)

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

Susie, Yes in Liberia at the US Embassy it is their requirement even if you have your high school diploma they said its not sufficient. I have read on the US Embassy Ghana website and I didn't see that as a requirement. It is only stating that you should be a high school graduate or meet the job zone requirements. I will try to go there(US Embassy Ghana) this week and ask because I want to be sure about this. I called waec office two months ago and I was told they have done registration and sat the remedials already and the next one is 2015. Time frame for this is not good cause they will register February and write exams in August only God knows when the results going to be out! I'm really worried cause I don't want to lose this great opportunity. I have submitted a new entry tonight for 2016.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.