jkf21

Obtaining Green Card from Uncle by means of mother obtaining one first and subsequently sponsoring me

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hi All,

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I am looking to get some form of permanent residence status in the United States to eventually move over there and work.

My uncle currently has a US citizenship, an american wife and children and has lived in the US for over 10 years. My mother who is british currently lives in Spain and has no current residency status in the US.

Would it be possible to for my uncle to sponsor my mother (his sister), and then once that has been approved, subsequently sponsor myself as my mothers son?

I am currently over 21, as I understand this makes a difference.

Would this be possible without my mother moving/living in the US at any point?

I understand this approach will likely take several years.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Yes, your uncle can sponsor his sister (your mother).

The time of waiting in this category (F4) is around 12 years.

When your mom becomes LPR, she can sponsor you.

But only if you're unmarried.

If you're married, your mom can sponsor you after becoming USC herself.

You can't be added to the original petition (F4), since you're over 21 years old.

Unless something is done about immigration, keep in mind that you're looking close to a 20 year wait. You can try applying for the DV every year in the meantime if you are a national from an eligible country. You can also look at employment visas and see if you may qualify in one of those routes.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Hi All,

Thank you for all the advise.

Unfortunately I won't be able to apply for the DV, as I'm from England.

I'm unmarried, so that should be okay.

In regards to my mother sponsoring me, does she need to reside in the US at any point for this to happen, or can the green card grant this regardless?

Yes. She cannot petition for you unless she is an LPR first, which means that she has to enter the US as an LPR. There is no minimum amount of time she has to live here though, she can petition for you as soon as she gets out of the airport.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Yes. She cannot petition for you unless she is an LPR first, which means that she has to enter the US as an LPR. There is no minimum amount of time she has to live here though, she can petition for you as soon as she gets out of the airport.

Thank you Ian!

I have looked at the employment visa route, and that's my next step.

I work full time in IT whilst doing a university degree part time, but it still seems like a massive pain to get a employment based visa.

I'm unsure if it'll help, but I've got a 10 year visitors visa (B1 or B2 if I remember correctly) approved by the US embassy in London. We will see!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I just recommended to someone else to look into Robert Half Technology, they're an international company and have bases all over the world (including the UK). They sponsor work visas for Executives, HR and IT workers regularly. Especially highly qualified ones.

Why are you looking to immigrate to the US? That might help us determine the best route for you.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

I just recommended to someone else to look into Robert Half Technology, they're an international company and have bases all over the world (including the UK). They sponsor work visas for Executives, HR and IT workers regularly. Especially highly qualified ones.

Why are you looking to immigrate to the US? That might help us determine the best route for you.

Thanks for that, I will have a look into them.

it's just an goal I've always had, I've visited a few times and just love the place compared to the UK, perhaps because it's different, I'm unsure.

I'm fairly qualified in regards to Microsoft and other technologies, and currently in a managers position with about 4 years experience, so I'm just building this experience up alongside qualifications to have the best chance.

Timeline

Thanks for that, I will have a look into them.

it's just an goal I've always had, I've visited a few times and just love the place compared to the UK, perhaps because it's different, I'm unsure.

I'm fairly qualified in regards to Microsoft and other technologies, and currently in a managers position with about 4 years experience, so I'm just building this experience up alongside qualifications to have the best chance.

then a work based visa would be best for you. Look for international temp agencies. I'm sure if you do that and speak to several US based recruiters they will find a company willing to sponsor a work visa.

A simple google search will help you find US based hiring agencies, and several postings of your resume on US based job search engines, like Monster.com, linkedin, careerbuilder.com, etc will help too.

Make sure you let it be known you're willing to relocate.

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

then a work based visa would be best for you. Look for international temp agencies. I'm sure if you do that and speak to several US based recruiters they will find a company willing to sponsor a work visa.

A simple google search will help you find US based hiring agencies, and several postings of your resume on US based job search engines, like Monster.com, linkedin, careerbuilder.com, etc will help too.

Make sure you let it be known you're willing to relocate.

Thanks d3adc0d3, I will certainly do that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

the only way a US employer can sponsor you for a work visa is if they cannot find a US citizen who is qualified to fill said job position, so it would have to be a very specialized job that no one here can fill. The US government doesn;t allow employers to find foreign workers to take American jobs. Having an IT degree won;t help you as there are millions of US citizens who have the same degree. It isn;t as easy as applying for a job and getting a visa. And Robert Half is a head hunter company, they look for workers to fill jobs for other companies. Why can't you find a job in England? You are looking at a 20-25 year wait minimum if your mom petitions you, you mother must be willing to move here permanently(she must reside here to petition for you) and you MUST stay unmarried right up until the time you are granted a visa. You won;t be married 20 -25 years from now?

Timeline

the only way a US employer can sponsor you for a work visa is if they cannot find a US citizen who is qualified to fill said job position, so it would have to be a very specialized job that no one here can fill. The US government doesn;t allow employers to find foreign workers to take American jobs. Having an IT degree won;t help you as there are millions of US citizens who have the same degree. It isn;t as easy as applying for a job and getting a visa. And Robert Half is a head hunter company, they look for workers to fill jobs for other companies. Why can't you find a job in England? You are looking at a 20-25 year wait minimum if your mom petitions you, you mother must be willing to move here permanently(she must reside here to petition for you) and you MUST stay unmarried right up until the time you are granted a visa. You won;t be married 20 -25 years from now?

That's not necessarily true, as someone who is in the IT field, you can have a degree and be an expert in certain stacks. Not everyone has the same expertise.

I'm a PHP/MySQL JavaScript Full Stack/JSON/JQuery HTML5/CSS3 full stack developer.

There are about 50 of us in the country. :)

Edited by d3adc0d3

Useful Links:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.