lirpa11

Recruitment Agents? Or apply direct?

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I am a USC, and my husband (Australian) and I are in the process of waiting for an IR1 visa to be approved (spouse visa!).

We both live in Australia, but plan on moving in January/February 2015 to USA. If we have any problems using assets to sponsor him to the USA, I will fly over in January, secure a job/house and we will apply again from there.

I would like to know, what is our best chances of getting jobs in the USA. I am an accountant (been working in tax for Australia since 2008, financial statements etc, husband is a heavy duty diesel mechanic with nearly 10 years experience and a vocational trade certificate - fully qualified).

Would we be best to use a recruitment agent to place us to where we are needed, or just send out our resume to potential employers? Can we start before we leave Australia (once we know arrival date in USA), or is it best to wait until we arrive in USA to send resumes and organize interviews? We would be fine with Skype interviews.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I am a USC, and my husband (Australian) and I are in the process of waiting for an IR1 visa to be approved (spouse visa!).

We both live in Australia, but plan on moving in January/February 2015 to USA. If we have any problems using assets to sponsor him to the USA, I will fly over in January, secure a job/house and we will apply again from there.

I would like to know, what is our best chances of getting jobs in the USA. I am an accountant (been working in tax for Australia since 2008, financial statements etc, husband is a heavy duty diesel mechanic with nearly 10 years experience and a vocational trade certificate - fully qualified).

Would we be best to use a recruitment agent to place us to where we are needed, or just send out our resume to potential employers? Can we start before we leave Australia (once we know arrival date in USA), or is it best to wait until we arrive in USA to send resumes and organize interviews? We would be fine with Skype interviews.

Hi lirpa,

I'm not sure how the jobs are back east in Georgia but our here in the west in California jobs are getting extremely difficult to get. I know there are several websites that may be useful in your search, are you, Linkedn? Good luck in your search I wish i could be more helpful and someone should have more guidance or information that will help.

Hi lirpa,

I'm not sure how the jobs are back east in Georgia but our here in the west in California jobs are getting extremely difficult to get. I know there are several websites that may be useful in your search, are you, Linkedn? Good luck in your search I wish i could be more helpful and someone should have more guidance or information that will help.

Hi cappuccino, I am on linkedin but how do I add US employers? I feel like a stalker/creeper if I add people I don't know! Have you added potential employers on linkedin and it be successful?

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I have added multiple people on LinkedIn in the area I will move to, especially recruiters. It's a good way to start connecting. Just don't connect randomly, but write a small text why you are adding them and why you are interested in their company / specific area of work. It's all about connections. I also tried a Subreddit for my area on reddit. Very helpful people there (and some trolls). Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Both, Recruiters are great because they often have access to jobs which the companies do not post. Plus some companies ONLY hire through temp/hiring agencies. It will also get your husband some local (US) experience, which will help pad his resume.

But apply directly as well! You never know what will happen, and it's best not to limit yourself. Some employers refuse to go through a recruiter or temp agency. They prefer to have more control over the hiring process.

Consider applying for work through a temp agency like Robert Half International as well. Another good way to pad your resume for quick, short-term contracts.

I'd recommend going to your local Unemployment Office once he's here and take the classes on interviewing and resume writing. Have his resume reviewed by a professional as well. It will help him understand what they expect in the US as far as presentation and any cultural differences in how business is handled. The classes are free, he just needs the gas and time.

Edited by d3adc0d3

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Thank you for posting this. We're actually moving also the Atlanta area and looking for jobs in Accounting. Good luck Lirpa!

**USC Filing Abroad**

Married: Sept 5, 2004

? I -130 sent

? NOA1
? NOA2

Still working on our file ...

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for posting this. We're actually moving also the Atlanta area and looking for jobs in Accounting. Good luck Lirpa!

I suggest you try to look in you taking CPA - Certified Public Accountant. Otherwise, you will have to compete with many Americans. I do not know how hard it is in other areas but in my area, even my friends who has dual degrees in MBA in account and engineer is hard to find a decent job in accountant without an CPA. Good thing is that he is working an an engineer, he just hates to be an engineer for some reason.

Edited by Ulink2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.