aaronsmomma

American bringing husband to US sponsoring help!!!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I are currently in Canada however we would like to live in the US. I am a U.S. Citizen and so is our son. I would like to sponsor him, but am unsure if I can do this since I haven't been working since 2012. How would that situation be worked out? Is there any other way to bring him to the U.S. Without me sponsoring him? I need help desperately as I/we would like to return to wisconsin summer 2015. Thanks!!!!

If I was you, I'd start the process ASAP if you want to be there in Summer 2015! First you will need to submit the petition I-130.

As for sponsoring, if you don't have income you can use assets in your names, or you can use a joint sponsor (someone in the USA with income/assets to help meet the requirements - but you are still the main sponsor), or you can return to the US and get a regular income and then sponsor him.

Good luck!

And don't stress, plenty of us are in a similar situation!

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

Hi,

Immigration is a multi step process and it starts by you petitioning USCIS for the immigration of your husband, or through the embassy if allowed. I wish I could tell you the process is fast, but it isn't. It takes its toll on you, but with the help of this website, you will be able to prepare yourself and learn about the process.

You have to sponsor your husband for immigration and it doesn't matter if you haven't been working, but you do need someone in the US who can be your joint sponsor. It can be any USC, national, or LPR that meets the income requirements and they don't have to be related to either of you.

You also have to prove that you have the intention of reestablishing your domicile in the US, since you have been living abroad. Also, if you were required to file any US taxes in the last 3 years, you must file them, or be exempt from having to file.

I will provide links so that you can get acquainted with the process and the immigration terms. Please read everything carefully so that you get an understanding of what is needed and how everything works. If you don't understand something, please just ask.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/immediate-relative.html

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/spouse/bringing-spouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

I've been doing a little research tonight and found this option: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/green-card-immediate-relative-us-citizen

What I'm understanding is that my husband can stay in Canada and work and wait for a permanent residency and get a green card? We wouldn't mind that option. Anyone know how long it usually takes to get the PR visa? (After the petition is accepted)

Please correct me if I'm getting this all wrong. I'm very new to this stuff!

Yes. Do you plan on moving to the US first? Or do you plan on coming back together? You can do it either way. You can apply from Canada and wait out the process in Canada with him, and come back together. Or you can come to the US first and petition for him from here.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

My husband and I are currently in Canada however we would like to live in the US. I am a U.S. Citizen and so is our son. I would like to sponsor him, but am unsure if I can do this since I haven't been working since 2012. How would that situation be worked out? Is there any other way to bring him to the U.S. Without me sponsoring him? I need help desperately as I/we would like to return to Wisconsin summer 2015. Thanks!!!!

First you file petition I-130 ; upon approval they will send it to National Visa center ( NVC ) for processing of the visa once the case is completed they will then send it to US consulate in Canada.

Processing of the petition can be from 5 to 6 months depending on which location the petition is being forward to.

NVC - can be up to 4 months and another 2 month time for interview in Canada ....I would say give it about 12 to 15 months.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife and I were in a similar situation; and we just finished the process.

With current processing times, you'd be looking at a time frame anywhere between 12 to 16 months for your husband to have his immigration visa in hand.

As others have pointed out, you have the choice to stay with him in Canada during this process, or to move back ahead of him to show that you have actually taken concrete steps to re-establish residency in the states.

Start by filing the I-130 form with USCIS. The form's instructions are self explanatory. This site has example forms for you to follow.

Good luck.

Please take some time to read the guides here so you have an idea of what the whole process entails. Then spend your time concentrating on each section to get the details right. I find this to be super helpful for most people. If you choose nto to move back ahead of your husband, you will need to find a joint sponsor for the I-864 when that time comes.

It's good to note that your husband WILL interview in Montreal.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

sponsering usually entails money, a job, some assets (optional) and specifically for you, in canada, USA domicile.

lets assume you not have usa bank account in your name (solely) with 120K usd in it,

and

suggest that you should seek a co-sponsor for the I-864.

You have some time - could file the I-130 this week, knowing that financial stuff and domicile is not reviewed until after the I-130 is approved, during the NVC doc intake process for the actual visa application.

you'll have to sort out either:

1. proof of usa domicile or

2. proof of steps taken to re-establish usa domicile

by interview day - again you have some time on this, even you file the I-130 this week.

GO Get Em, and GOOD LUCK !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.