AnnaMaria

USCIS ELIS Fee $165 - Confused about when to pay

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello, my wife will be immigrating to the US on Saturday this week on a CR-1 Visa. We have everything prepared and finished except the $165 USCIS ELIS fee which we are kind of confused on because on the welcome packet the embassy gave us, it says it MUST be paid before we arrive in the states, but everywhere else it says it can be paid AFTER we enter, and that it is just required to receive her physical green card.

The fee isn't a problem as much as the fact we have no way to pay it here since we don't have one of the payment methods available, and my mother who is our Joint Sponsor had handled all of the NVC/USCIS fees back home for us. However, on the ELIS fee it isn't as easy as entering your email and password and submitting a payment, you get a code every time you log in and it says to not let ANYONE have access to the website other than the immigrant. That is fine, as we can pay it as soon as we get home in the U.S., but will this be a problem at our PoE?

This is a direct quote from the USCIS ELIS page under "Immigrant Visa Fee"

"We strongly encourage you to pay this fee after you receive your immigrant visa packet from the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad (including Canada and Mexico) and before you depart for the United States. Paying before you depart for the United States will ensure that you receive your Green Card without delay. However, you can also pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee after you immigrate to the United States. We will send your Green Card to you after you pay the fee. "

So, are we ok to pay the fee a day or two after we arrive in the US or will this cause issues at the PoE?

Thank you!

6/24/2014 - I-130 Shipped via UPS to Chicago

6/26/2014 - I-130 Received and signed for at USCIS

7/1/2014 - E-mail of acceptance with Receipt number - NoA 1 (Routed to California Service Center)

07/15/2014 - Change of Address via phone call with USCIS, confirmation via e-mail.

7/30/2014 - I-130 Approved at USCIS - NoA 2 E-mail

08/13/2014 - NVC Received Approved I-130 package from USCIS

08/21/2014 - Case Number and IIN created at NVC

08/25/2014 - Case Number and IIN received via phone call. DS-261 Available and completed online.

8/26/2014 - AoS Fee invoiced and paid online.

8/28/2014 - AoS Invoice status PAID

09/04/2014 - Expedite Request response - Must enter Beneficiary Date of Birth - Re-sent exact e-mail with requested info

09/10/2014 - Expedite Request e-mail received as "Under Review"

09/11/2014 - Expedite Request Approved - Confirmation via e-mail from U.S. Embassy in Bucharest, Romania

09/16/2014 - Embassy Received Case from NVC

09/16/2014 - Received E-mail from Embassy to Schedule our Interview and prepare documents

9/23/2014 - Medical Exam at Regina Maria - Results OK

10/01/2014 - Visa Approved!

10/03/2014 - Received Passport with Visa!

11/2/2104 - PoE Atlanta - Welcome to the US!

11/5/2014 - Paid $165 ELIS Fee

8/1/2016 - I-751 Packet sent in for Removal of Conditions!

8/15/2016 - Notice of Action 1 for I-751 - California Service Center

9/29/2016 - Received Biometrics Appointment

Hi,

You will not have any issues at POE. They recommend that you pay the fee before entering the US, so they only encourage, not require.

The thing is that some people wait months after POE to pay the fee, or don't pay the fee at all, and then wonder where their green card is. And yes some people are like that lol. You can pay the fee after POE, whenever you can.

The visa and entry stamp serve as a temporary GC for one year from POE date. Two cousins of mine paid the fee before POE and their GC's still took like 2 or 3 months to arrive, so I don't really see the advantage.

This does not constitute legal advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! We did paid mine when I landed here in US last August 2014. and I haven't got my GC yet... Can you guys please update if you got already GC? As I am worried about mine.. *sigh*

It can take 3 months to receive the GC. Sometimes it can take a little longer when you pay the fee after POE. When in August did you enter? If it's been 3 months already then you want to contact USCIS to find out. Have you checked the case status?

Hi guys! We did paid mine when I landed here in US last August 2014. and I haven't got my GC yet... Can you guys please update if you got already GC? As I am worried about mine.. *sigh*

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

I paid mine bfore i leave Philippines,i arrive here Nov 5 and until now i didnt get any of them but my friend arrive here Sept.25 and she said after a week she got her social security card and she said that there is another instruction that she need to pay for the green card.im confused also for what she said because all i think the $165 is for the green card already.is there anyone got the green card already?or did u pay again aside from the $165?

~~moved to general immigration discussion from IR1/CR1 process and procedures with other such topics~~

I paid mine bfore i leave Philippines,i arrive here Nov 5 and until now i didnt get any of them but my friend arrive here Sept.25 and she said after a week she got her social security card and she said that there is another instruction that she need to pay for the green card.im confused also for what she said because all i think the $165 is for the green card already.is there anyone got the green card already?or did u pay again aside from the $165?

Most people have to go to the SSA office to get their SSN. It takes 1-3 months to get the hard copy green card normally. Keep an eye on your ELIS account.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

~~moved to general immigration discussion from IR1/CR1 process and procedures with other such topics~~

Most people have to go to the SSA office to get their SSN. It takes 1-3 months to get the hard copy green card normally. Keep an eye on your ELIS account.

You shouldn't need to do this if you already selected the option on the DS-260 to receive one automatically.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

You shouldn't need to do this if you already selected the option on the DS-260 to receive one automatically.

what I am saying is about 80% or more of people who select this option do not receive one automatically.

We went to the SSA to apply for my SSN but they said i don't need to go there to apply for my SSN coz it will send to my address.

then you're lucky and one was sent to you! YAY!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

what I am saying is about 80% or more of people who select this option do not receive one automatically.

Aww crud, I didn't know that. Guess we'd better stop off at the SSA when I arrive :P cheers

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Aww crud, I didn't know that. Guess we'd better stop off at the SSA when I arrive :P cheers

Give it about 2 weeks after you enter. It takes that long sometimes for the IV package to make it back to the USCIS and the CBP to tell the SSA you've entered.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.