zinger143

Affidavit of support for K-1 visa ?'s and evidence of relationship

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

I am sending the affidavit of support to my fiancée with all the documents needed. I make well over 125% above the federal poverty line, and I have over 10,000 in the bank. I have the statement from my work stating my salary, type of employment, and when I started. I have my bank statements, and I included my W-2 just was extra evidence. I have bank statements for my main checking account. I then have a composite that is what my bank was able to print that includes the first statement that my account was opened. On the composite it has my annual year to date balance, my current balance, and my last deposit, but it doesn’t have the total deposits made. With the abundance of evidence that I am financially competent to sponsor my fiancée, will I need that extra evidence or should I be ok?

I also know I need to include evidence of a sustained relationship. My petition was approved in four weeks, and I had just left my fiancé when I submitted the petition, so my amount of evidence isn’t as lengthy as others who have had to wait. I have nine screen shots of the skype and facetime conversations we’ve had over the past month. I am including the evidence I sent with the I-129F of course which includes pictures of us together and logs of conversations we had from the time I left until I filed the I-129F. We don’t email so I would assume the 9 screen shots of call logs would be sufficient to show for one month, would that be a fair assumption?

Thank you in advance

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have not yet hit the interview portion of our journey yet, but I've looked at a huge number of posts and guides, etc and have started gathering the items for my fiance so we're prepared to move ahead. Hopefully others who have direct knowledge answer as well.

It sounds like you have more than enough for income evidence. I do not know how strict the Bolivia consulate will be, income is one area that varies widely among consulates. I would have a look at the specific forum for that country or region and see if there is more info there. Also check out the consulate reviews: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Bolivia&cty=&dfilter=5and http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?letter=B (scroll down for Bolivia on the last one)

For the evidence of sustained relationship, I would suggest updating your letters of intent to marry (did you send them originally?) with new dates, new signatures and stating the journey you've taken since the petition was submitted and how you are looking forward to being with your fiance. Include screenshots/bills/chat logs/etc. anything you have - even if you have birthday or holiday cards, I would make scans of them. If you have any envelopes with return addresses or the like, scan those and include as well.

Also remember to send your fiance a full copy of the I-129F packet you sent USCIS. The consular officer should have it in the file but it shows you are prepared and can answer to any questions they have, and who knows.. they may have misplaced it <_<

Good luck!

Edited by Megan & Luke

Our K-1 at Texas Service Center

I-129F Sent: 07-02-14 (USPS Overnight Express)
I-129F Rcvd: 07-03-14
NOA1: 07-08-14

NOA1 Hardcopy: 07-14-14

ARN Changed: 07-16-14

NOA2: 01-23-15 (199 days)

Sent to NVC: 01-27-15

NOA2 Hardcopy: 01-30-15 (No consulate listed, inquiry opened)

NVC Received: 02-06-15 (Case # assigned)

NVC Sent: 02-19-15

London Embassy Received: 02-23-15

Readiness Submitted: 03-02-2015

Packet 3 Received: 03-03-2015

Packet 4 Received: 03-12-2015

Medical: 03-04-15 (Passed)

Interview: 04-10-2015 (Approved!)

Visa Issued: 04-15-2015

Visa In Hand: 04-21-2015

POE: 05-03-2015

Wedding: July 10, 2015

3,419 miles (L) Distance means nothing when your heart says "I love you"

YVjFm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You really only need the most recent tax transcript, letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs, so what you have extra is more than enough. Since your income more than meets the requirement, you did not need to list assets or supply bank statements/letter at all.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I am sending the affidavit of support to my fiancée with all the documents needed. I make well over 125% above the federal poverty line, and I have over 10,000 in the bank. I have the statement from my work stating my salary, type of employment, and when I started. I have my bank statements, and I included my W-2 just was extra evidence. I have bank statements for my main checking account. I then have a composite that is what my bank was able to print that includes the first statement that my account was opened. On the composite it has my annual year to date balance, my current balance, and my last deposit, but it doesn’t have the total deposits made. With the abundance of evidence that I am financially competent to sponsor my fiancée, will I need that extra evidence or should I be ok?

I also know I need to include evidence of a sustained relationship. My petition was approved in four weeks, and I had just left my fiancé when I submitted the petition, so my amount of evidence isn’t as lengthy as others who have had to wait. I have nine screen shots of the skype and facetime conversations we’ve had over the past month. I am including the evidence I sent with the I-129F of course which includes pictures of us together and logs of conversations we had from the time I left until I filed the I-129F. We don’t email so I would assume the 9 screen shots of call logs would be sufficient to show for one month, would that be a fair assumption?

Thank you in advance

I don't see mention of a tax transcript and I have read on here that is required. You can get it for free at IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS in just a few minutes. I downloaded and will send 3 years just because I am always trying to give them more.

Edited by Greg_Dubai

Citizenship  :dancing:

19-FEB-2020 - Oath Ceremony, Passport Application, Voter Registration - ALL DONE!!!:dancing::dancing::dancing:

03-FEB-2020 - Received Oath Ceremony Notice (19-FEB-2020)

29-JAN-2020 - Interview complete - APPROVED!!!:dancing:😁

20-DEC-2019 - Received Interview Notice (29-JAN-2020)

18-JUL-2019 - Biometrics Appointment

29-JUN-2019 - NOA Date

24-JUN-2019 - N-400 Submitted Online

ROC

23-OCT-2017 - I-751 Filed. (USPS Priority Mail)

23-OCT-2017 - Packet Delivered and signed for

27-OCT-2017 - NOA Date - Received 02-NOV-2017

2018               - Biometrics and Interviewed Waived

11-Jan-2019 - I-751 Approved

14-Jan-2019 - 10 YearGreen Card Received :dancing:

AOS

20-May-2015 - I-485 Filed, Filed I-765, I-131 at same time. (USPS Express Mail)

21-MAY-2015 - Packet Delivered and signed for

26-May-2015 - NOA Date

16-Jun-2015 - Biometrics Appointment

19-Jan-2016 - I-485 AOS Approval I-797 by mail

27-Jan-2016 - 2 Year Green Card Received :dancing:

EAD, AP

20-May-2015 - Filed I-765, I-131 with AOS I-485 (USPS Express Mail)

21-MAY-2015 - Packet Delivered and signed for

26-May-2015 - NOA Date

16-Jun-2015 - Biometrics Appointment

03-Aug-2015 - EAD & AP Approved

16-Aug-2015 - Card Mailed (online update)

19-AUG-2015 - Card Received

:thumbs:(L)(F):thumbs:

K-1

05-SEP-2014 - I-129F Petition Package Sent

11-SEP-2014 - NOA1 Email Received - Assigned to CSC

20-OCT-2014 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received

03-FEB-2015 - Interview - APPROVED

25-APR-2015 - POE Minneapolis

16-May-2015 - Married, Brooklyn Park, MN (L):rolleyes::D:dancing:

05-DEC-2015 - Son enters on K-2

Timeline

You only need your tax forms if you are self-employed. And since I'm not it's just extra information to verify my income is what I said it is.

You only need your tax forms if you are self-employed. And since I'm not it's just extra information to verify my income is what I said it is.

The tax forms are required if your embassy specifically says they are. The I-134 instructions are merely a guideline and give examples of types of evidence you can use, but they are all optional. What you are required to submit with your I-134 will be listed in your embassy instructions.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Those are the vague I-134 instructions. The I-134 is used for non-immigrant visas, which the K-1 is technically. However, the K-1 is a special case because it does have immigrant intent. This is why the answer to #11 on the I-134 is N/A because it does not apply to a K-1 visa entrant who will be staying in the US and adjusting status to permanent residency.

Many consulates follow the I-864 guidelines because they know you will need the I-864 after you enter the US, marry and file for AOS. Some consualtes will go ny the I-134 and not require the tax returns, but many do. Follow what the instructions from your consulate ask for specifically. If they do not specify in their instructions, then I would provide the most recent tax transcript(or copy of your complete return) just to be on the safe side.

As I said before, if you meet the income requirement, you can leave assets blank, no bank statements needed. Typically the most recent tax return and letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs are all that are needed to prove you meet the financial requirement. It is tried and true. Self-employed use their tax returns to prove income since they do not have an employer and sometimes no pay stubs. They can use bank statements if they feel it will help show the income they receive each month. If someone needs to use assets or they have non-taxable income, then sure, they need to provide the bank statements to prove their assets/income.

This is what the Foreign Affairs Manual has to say about it > http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

9 FAM 40.41 N5.6-3 Use of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support

f. To substantiate the information regarding income and resources, the sponsor should attach to the affidavit a copy of the latest Federal income tax return filed prior to the signing of the Form I-134, including all supporting schedules. If you determine that the tax return and/or additional evidence in the file do not establish the sponsor's financial ability to carry out the commitment toward the immigrant for what might be an indefinite period of time, or there is a specific reason (other than the passage of time) to question the veracity of the income stated on the Form I-134 or the accompanying document(s), you should request additional evidence (i.e., statement from an employer showing the sponsor's salary and the length and permanency of employment, recent pay statements, or other financial data).

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Thank you, that makes sense, and makes me feel better about what I'm sending, seems to be more than enough. I'm waiting to confirm with the embassy what they want specifically, but it seems what I have gathered will meet the requirements!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I make well over 125% above the federal poverty line, and I have over 10,000 in the bank. I have the statement from my work stating my salary, type of employment, and when I started.

I was in the same situation and didn't include any bank stuff. Income is key and if it's adequate, then it's adequate. You don't get extra credit for more.

We don’t email so I would assume the 9 screen shots of call logs would be sufficient to show for one month, would that be a fair assumption?

It is suggested to purposefully generate all kinds of evidence. Skype screenshot don't tell anything about the content of your conversations and that is key in establishing relationship legitimacy.

Thank you in advance

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.