aussiewench

London Embassy Graduates Thread

542 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
My husband is arriving on Saturday and my little daughter and I are really excited. We are very fortunate in that he spent approx. 7 months in the US utilizing the VWP so he knows what to expect- he knows the area, our friends and family, etc from being here before. We have also lived together so we don't have the "newness" factor to add to all of our stress either. So that's what we are fortunate about- but we also still have to deal with him getting EAD, then his green card, plus our baby is on it's way....so we have enough stress to last us for a little while! (F)

shakysgirl, I didn't realize you were expecting!!!!!

So glad this part of your journey is nearly over! (F)

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hey Shakysgirl.

I saw in your profile that you have already been through the UK visa process....just out of curiosity what is that like/exactly what does it entail? Also, is it still possible to have dual citizenship? I always thought it was but someone recently told me that the US will now revoke your US citizenship if you try to file for a dual citizenship if you weren't born in the US originally. Just thought I'd ask someone with experience. And good luck with the one in the oven!!!!! -Weebeansy

Weebeansy - you certainly can have dual citizenship. No problem at all.

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Shakysgirl congrats on the baby news!! This will be such a huge weekend for you and a well deserved reunion. Best of luck tomorrow!! (F)

Marie - NYC, USA

Adam - Birmingham/Manchester, UK

Stick a pony in me pocket!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for your good wishes. Yes, I thought I might be pregnant, but waited until I went to the UK with my husband for his interview to take the test. We took it after he was approved, and were both very happy (if nervous). The little one is due in mid- September. I was so excited for hubbies arrival today I could barely sleep last night. I am leaving for JFK in a couple of hours. :dance::dance::dance:

As for the UK visa process- I got both a UK fiance visa and a UK spouse visa (also known as Limited Leave to Remain). You must apply for a UK visa in your country of origin. It takes either one day or four- five days, depending on how you choose to do it. You can apply on line, get all your paperwork in order, choose your interview day and then go in person and receive your visa that day. Or you can apply on line, get all your paperwork in order, mail it in, and receive your visa via courier four or five days later. Approval rate for US marriages is something like 98%. Proof of your relationship (or marriage), proof of your finances to support you in the UK until you find work (you are allowed co-sponsors and they can either be US or UK citizens), proof of both your own and your spouses citizenship, those are the basic requirements. It is SO easy and stress free in comparison to the US type. (which is why we originally headed in THAT direction) I got my UK fiance visa in about 4 days. I went to the UK, got married, and then changed my visa to a LLR in a few hours in Liverpool. I am pretty sure you are allowed dual citizenship. I'm really happy that our little baby (who we refer to as "Keanu" after The Royle Family) will have automatic dual citizenship. Most of the world will be available to him without torturous visa issues to deal with- lucky kid huh?

:luv:

See my timeline for all previous dates!

Naturalization:

6/28/09: Mail N-400 to Texas

7/6/09: NOA1

7/24/09: Biometrics

10/08/09: Interview

11/21/09: Receive oath date

01/22/10: Oath Date

With thanks to all the helpful people who made this journey slightly more bearable.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
Thanks for your good wishes. Yes, I thought I might be pregnant, but waited until I went to the UK with my husband for his interview to take the test. We took it after he was approved, and were both very happy (if nervous). The little one is due in mid- September. I was so excited for hubbies arrival today I could barely sleep last night. I am leaving for JFK in a couple of hours. :dance::dance::dance:

As for the UK visa process- I got both a UK fiance visa and a UK spouse visa (also known as Limited Leave to Remain). You must apply for a UK visa in your country of origin. It takes either one day or four- five days, depending on how you choose to do it. You can apply on line, get all your paperwork in order, choose your interview day and then go in person and receive your visa that day. Or you can apply on line, get all your paperwork in order, mail it in, and receive your visa via courier four or five days later. Approval rate for US marriages is something like 98%. Proof of your relationship (or marriage), proof of your finances to support you in the UK until you find work (you are allowed co-sponsors and they can either be US or UK citizens), proof of both your own and your spouses citizenship, those are the basic requirements. It is SO easy and stress free in comparison to the US type. (which is why we originally headed in THAT direction) I got my UK fiance visa in about 4 days. I went to the UK, got married, and then changed my visa to a LLR in a few hours in Liverpool. I am pretty sure you are allowed dual citizenship. I'm really happy that our little baby (who we refer to as "Keanu" after The Royle Family) will have automatic dual citizenship. Most of the world will be available to him without torturous visa issues to deal with- lucky kid huh?

:luv:

Hey shakysgirl,

Thanks for the info....I can't believe how easy it is to get a UK visa!!! So basically what takes a minimum of 4 to 5 months here takes a maximum of 4 to 5 days for the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing!!! Well that's good to know. On a side note....I can't even possibly imagine the anticipation and nervouness that you must have been facing on the day of the interview....and how much your life had changed at the end of that day. I mean, in literally one day an entire family was placed in your hands...that's so beautiful and sweet and scary and just amazing. Life really is a journey, isn't it? Thanks again, Weebeansy

I have a quick question, did you all submit a P85 to the Inland Revenue before moving to the US? I just finished work on Friday and have my P45....... to inlcude with the P85. Should I be filling any other forms out?

Cheers

Yorkie

AOS

03-23-06: AOS Package mailed to Chicago

04-11-06: Infopass Appointment

05-20-06: I-765 Biometrics Apt.

05-25-06: I-765 Touched

06-01-06: I-485 Biometrics Apt.

06-01-06: I-485 Touched

06-03-06: I-485 Touched

06-26-06: Infopass Appointment for EAD - 90 Day EAD Given

06-28-06: I-765 Touched

06-30-06: I-765 Approved

07-21-06: I-485 Application Transferred to CSC

08-09-06: I-485 Touched

08-18-06: I-485 Welcome notice mailed out.

08-21-06: Greencard Received

-----------------------------------

06-26-08: I-751 Package mailed to NSC

07-07-08: NOA1 Received (Case Transferred to CSC)

08-08-08: I-751 Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics completed via walk-in on 07-25-08)

23-10-08: Card Production Ordered

Seven weeks from today...Ewen comes home with me! :D

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Good luck for today shakysgirl :D

I received my appointment for AOS/EAD biometrics today :dance: It is set for March 16 in Charleston, WV.

Things are starting to happen! :P

Kiki (F)

YAY KIKI!!!! :dance: That was fast!! :P

Marie - NYC, USA

Adam - Birmingham/Manchester, UK

Stick a pony in me pocket!

Filed: Timeline

Good luck for today shakysgirl :D

I received my appointment for AOS/EAD biometrics today :dance: It is set for March 16 in Charleston, WV.

Things are starting to happen! :P

Kiki (F)

YAY KIKI!!!! :dance: That was fast!! :P

Thank you Estella :luv: Yes, it is in just another 16 days. We are hoping it all goes smoothly and that the AOS /green card happens quickly, like most people! I'm so looking forward to being able to look for work again and get out and meet more people! Oh yes, and get a driving license! :lol:

I hope that all is going well for you and Adam. I found the first few weeks stressful, what with no bank account, no independence, no sense of existing almost, etc...Once I got my SSN and we applied for the AOS, I started to feel much more settled.

Roll on the Spring!

Kiki (F)

I've had a look around, but it seems like this was eaten up by the old board. So I'll have to ask it again.

I need to make some phonecalls to the UK and was wondering what calling plan/card you guys use to call back to the UK. Thank very much. :)

Filed: Timeline
I've had a look around, but it seems like this was eaten up by the old board. So I'll have to ask it again.

I need to make some phonecalls to the UK and was wondering what calling plan/card you guys use to call back to the UK. Thank very much. :)

We use Verizon. We have some sort of plan that includes free US long distance calls. Calls to the UK are sooo cheap. Like $2.50 for 30 minutes. I call my mom and dad 1-2 times a week!

Seven weeks from today...Ewen comes home with me! :D

:thumbs::D

Edited by KikiDoug

Filed: Other Timeline

I used AT&T. If you have a long distance package with them, you can get a unlimited calling plan to the UK for $40 a month. A steal if you call a lot!!!

In fact, after I had the plan about a month, THEY called me. They thought with the volume of calls (3-4 hours a day with Wes) that perhaps I was using the line for business instead of personal use. I laughed and told them to check and they would be able to see I was only dialing one number and I was speaking to my boyfriend! Apparently they weren't making any money on me!!! LOL!!

Prior to that I used a rechargeable phone card that I got from zaptel.com. They have gobs of cards and with the one I was using, I could talk to him for $20 for about 7 or 8 hours. The voice quality was usually good. If you are interested in this PM me and I will look up to see what one we use. This is what we have gone back too since he doesn't call home that frequently.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.