aussiewench

London Embassy Graduates Thread

542 posts in this topic

i used to get that question, too. "are you sure he doesn't just want a green card?"

my reply got increasingly sharp as i heard that question over and over and over again.

sometimes i would point out that if we wanted to live off the government, we'd certainly choose to live THERE rather than HERE, because the benefits were so much better. ;)

then other times, i'd reply with something like, "you know, it's kind of offensive that you think that the idea of marrying me is so totally repulsive that the ONLY reason someone would marry me was to illegally immigrate."

either way, it usually shut people up. :whistle:

f35qw2.gif

f35qif.gif

Click here to view our webpage!

jt179g.jpg

AOS Approved!! icon_woohoo.gif

Apply to remove conditions August 13, 2008!

Click here for our complete Immigration Timeline

2uhvevm.gif

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."--Author Unknown

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then other times, i'd reply with something like, "you know, it's kind of offensive that you think that the idea of marrying me is so totally repulsive that the ONLY reason someone would marry me was to illegally immigrate."

Never thought of that! Good answer!!! :lol:

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline

My US buddies activily tried to have me married off before me and The Husband decided that we actually were rather smitten with each other.

Our situation is a little different because we still will have lengthy separations (he has a military job)...I wish we were in the 'now we can be together forever' boat, but alas not yet.

The only good thing to come of the situation was being able to have the AOS expedited.

Still, one of the nicer things about a lengthy separation is the reuniting afterwards...it's like falling in love all over again, and falling in love is a really fantastic feeling!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
then other times, i'd reply with something like, "you know, it's kind of offensive that you think that the idea of marrying me is so totally repulsive that the ONLY reason someone would marry me was to illegally immigrate.

HAHAHAHA YOU RULE! I am so going to use that next time! :lol:

Marie - NYC, USA

Adam - Birmingham/Manchester, UK

Stick a pony in me pocket!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Yes, because life is SO terrible and hard in the UK, where the currency is actually worth more than the dollar... :rolleyes: So of course he's marrying you just for that green card!!! It's just THAT much better in the US. ;)

Yes well it's all like a Dicken's novel where everyone grows up in a dark orphanage and has to beg for more gruel. Also another popular American misconception is that ALL british people live in London. There is just no other city in England. :lol:

Great Britain consists of, in alphabetical order: England AND Scotland AND Wales!

While the 'United Kingdom' consists of Great Britain (see above) and the several northern counties of Ireland known by some as 'Northern Ireland' and by others as 'Ulster'.

So, when you refer to 'British' people, you are refering to more than just the English or England.

Sorry, just something that irks me but no hard feelings.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Yes, because life is SO terrible and hard in the UK, where the currency is actually worth more than the dollar... :rolleyes: So of course he's marrying you just for that green card!!! It's just THAT much better in the US. ;)

Yes well it's all like a Dicken's novel where everyone grows up in a dark orphanage and has to beg for more gruel. Also another popular American misconception is that ALL british people live in London. There is just no other city in England. :lol:

Great Britain consists of, in alphabetical order: England AND Scotland AND Wales!

While the 'United Kingdom' consists of Great Britain (see above) and the several northern counties of Ireland known by some as 'Northern Ireland' and by others as 'Ulster'.

So, when you refer to 'British' people, you are refering to more than just the English or England.

Sorry, just something that irks me but no hard feelings.

Wouldn't you say however that there are some people from Scotland, No. Ireland, and maybe even Wales who adamantly refuse to categorize themselves as British because they don't want to be considered as subjects of the queen? I know that's besides the point of the technical correctness...just babbling here...

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Just one more sleep, and I am on that plane! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Yay! Have a wonderful trip!!! :dance:

(F)

Current Journey - Naturalization

25 Jun 2012 - Filed N-400

28 Jun 2012 - NOA

03 Jul 2012 - Biometrics Letter

30 Jul 2012 - Fingerprints in St Louis, MO

02 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 11 Sept 2012 in Kansas City, MO

08 Aug 2012 - Letter stating interview has been cancelled

09 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 18 Sept 2012 in Springfield, MO

18 Sept 2012 - Approved! Oath ceremony 10/12/12

Filed: Other Timeline
i used to get that question, too. "are you sure he doesn't just want a green card?"

my reply got increasingly sharp as i heard that question over and over and over again.

sometimes i would point out that if we wanted to live off the government, we'd certainly choose to live THERE rather than HERE, because the benefits were so much better. ;)

either way, it usually shut people up. :whistle:

Oh, Dani, didn't anybody ever ask you if he was the member of any certain covert political groups who prefer to remain underground...and that he might be running from the crown?

Edited by rebeccajo

Heck, Ewen's only marrying me because his asylum application failed. Apparently being a Celtic fan in Hearts/Hibs territory doesn't count as "persecution."

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just one more sleep, and I am on that plane! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Hope you have a wonderful trip and arrive safely in your new country. :)

Alison.

Alison West Midlands (England) and Scott Michigan (USA)

05/31/03 Met Online.

07/03 Fell in love

08/24/03 I visit Scott for first time and got engaged :)

02/04 Scott came to England for first tme

04/20/04 My son and I went to visit Scott

08/10/04 Both children came with me to visit Scott.

12/21/04 Scott came for Christmas

03/01/05 My son and I went to visit

06/19/05 Last UK holiday

12/05 Scott is coming to spend Christmas again

06/28/05 I-129F package received at Nebraska Centre.

07/05/05 Scott's received first NOA.

09/01/05 NOA2 was mailled

09/02/05 NOA2 approved in email

09/08/05 Approved case sent to Department of State for visa processing

09/23/05 Email Confirmation of Case Number from NVC

09/26/05 Scott received Letter with case number from NVC

10/03/05 Booked Medical for 31st October at 11.10am

10/03/05 Received Packets 3 from Embassy

10/11/05 Sent Packet 3 To Embassy

11/10/05 Packet 3 and Checklist completed by Visa Branch

11/23/05 Email of interview date and also Packet 4 arrived

12/20/05 Scott comes over for two weeks

12/21/05 Interview at 11.00am, Approved

12/23/05 Received vias's in the post

01/04/06 Scott goes home :(

05/18/06 Emigrate to Michigan

07/15/06 Getting married

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Okay and this is totally random but do people think you are absolutely nutso crazy when you tell them you are marrying a Brit you met online?

I live in a small town, and I thought people might be very judgemental about it, but they're not. Mostly they are curious about what he will do for a loving here, since the job market isn't the greatest. And everyone's always surprised that he won't be able to work right away. This is a military town, so there are a lot of mixed-nationality couples, maybe that's why people don't seem to have much of a problem with it? :huh:

(F)

45 days! :wub:

Tony has been here for nearly 4 months and people STILL ask why he isn't able to work! they usually ask " What does he do for a living? Or, has Tony found a job yet?" Sometimes it is a bit irritating but I usually say " As soon as the government will let him, he is ready!" Also, they are very curious too about how we met. I think meeting someone online scares some people. I feel very fortunate to have found him. If it weren't for internet, we'd still be searching for each other... :(

Karen ( USA ) and Tony ( UK ) now both residing in USA!!

2/28/05- I-129F sent to TSC

7/29/05- Interview date- Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/06/05-Tony comes home to Tennessee!!!

10/08/05-WE'RE MARRIED!!! I love this man!

AOS/EAD/AP

11/26/05-filed for emergency AP

11/29/05-filed for AOS/EAD

03/07/06-online EAD approval

03/10/06-received EAD in post and passed driving test (Wow what a day)

07/26/06-AOS Interview---APPROVED!!!!!!

07/31/06-received 'Welcome to America' Letter

08/07/06-received Green card in post wooooooooohoooooooo

03/30/09-received approval to remove conditions!

Filed: Timeline

Hello Fellow Londoners,

I hope Purple Hibuscus arrived safely....good luck! :P

Well, we saw the Civil Surgeon yesterday, no problems at all. I took my x-ray along just to "prove" I'd had the medical already. They gave me the vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope.

A couple of queries...

- When we apply for my AOS, do we need to include a cover page to explain that I had the medical already in London so are just including a vaccination supplement?

- On the I-864, do we fill in the value for the 125% poverty guidelines for 2005 or 2006?

Still no SSN... :whistle:

Thank you all,

Kiki (F)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.