BRSP

Green Card Interview Rescheduled and EAD card

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello!!

I have a question, maybe one of you can help me...

Yesterday, I received an email from the immigration saying that my interview for the green card was scheduled for Nov 25, 2014. I haven’t received the appointment letter yet, but I should get it by the end of the week or so. The problem is that my husband and I bought tickets to travel to CA the same week as my interview and the tickets are non-refundable. Also, my husband have 2 other trips scheduled between Nov and Dec for work.

To add to the situation, I haven't received my EAD card yet (it's been almost 90 days).

My question: If I ask to reschedule the green card interview, will it affect in the process of getting my EAD card? Are they going to reset the "clock" and take 3 more months to send it to me?

Help!! Please!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

EAD is processed separately from the green card. Rescheduling the interview for your green card will have no impact on the processing of the EAD. If it goes past 90 days and you still have not received your EAD, then contact the USCIS to put in a service request. I assume you also applied for AP at the same time, so make sure not to travel without first having your EAD/AP combo card.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

since you are at the AOS interview stage,there is no need to be concerned about the EAD, a successful green card interview and you no longer need the EAD anyway. That said, I have never seen posts (others may correct me) about rescheduling a AOS interview,(maybe for a death in the family or illness),because,why would anyone allow a "trip" to stand in the way of this most important step in the immigration process? My wife is going to Thailand for 3 months soon, I will join her for the last 5 weeks of the trip,if an interview appt. comes while she is gone,then her flight home gets changed and she will return for the appointment.

9/16/2013-I-129-F Petition Rec`d-(Dallas lockbox, transfered to CSC)
9/19/2013-Notice Date- NOA-1
10/1/2013-Notice Date- NOA-2-I-129-F Petition Approved!
11/1/2013-NVC Rec`d I-129-F Petition
11/14/2013- U.S.Consulate- BKK Rec`d I-129-F
11/23/2013-Rec`d Packet 3
12/1/2013-Medical Exam
12/9/2013-Packet 3 sent to U.S. Consulate-BKK
12/16/2013-Rec`d Packet 4
1/22/2014-Interview/Approved!
1/25/2014-Rec`d Visa/Passport (Korat)

4/30/2014-POE-Chicago-O`Hare
5/1/2014-Successful S.S.# Application(Chicago office)Marriage License(Cook County)
5/2/2014-Married!
5/16/2014-AOS,I-765,I-131 package received by U.S.C.I.S.
5/19/2014-Notice Date- NOA-1`s
5/23/2014-Rec`d Biometrics Appointment Notice
5/30/2014-Early Biometrics(Chicago location)
7/26/2014-I-765 and I-131 Approved (card production)
8/01/2014-Rec`d Combo Card
9/10/2014-Rec`d Potential Interview Waiver Letter
3/20/2015-Filed form with CIS Ombudsman requesting assistance with AOS.
3/21/2015-Rec`d case# from Ombudsman.
4/03/2015-Sent I-765/I-131 renewal documents to U.S.C.I.S.
4/9/2015- NOA Notice Dates-I-765/I-131 renewal.
4/10/2015-NOA Notice Date-Biometrics Appt.for I-765/I-131 renewal.
4/27/2015-Biometrics Appt.for I-765/I-131 renewal.

5/22/2015-Rec`d RFE for expired Medical Exam.

5/23/2015-Rec`d Renewal Combo Card.

6/8/2015-Updated I-693 Medical Exam sent to U.S.C.I.S. (New York office)

6/20/2015-Rec`d Welcome Letter.

6/24/2015-Rec`d Green Card via U.S.P.S.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is possible to reschedule and people have done so. There does not need to be an emergency involved. It just delays the green card approval and the local USCIS office will most likely take their dear old sweet time in providing a new interview date. The OP stated the tickets were non-refundable, so not sure if they can change the travel date, but perhaps with a fee and keep the current interview date.

Oh, and also be sure to not only call about changing the appointment, but send the request in writing to the USCIS office handling your case. Alternatively, you could make an Infopass appointment and ask about changing the date in person.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the reply and help!!

So yeah... I know, most people would not reschedule the appt. However, this trip is very important to me and my husband...Regardless...here's my situation. At this point, the most important document to me is the work permit (I already have a number of job offers and I can't accept it...). If I have the work permit and I can legally work, then I'm fine waiting a few more months for the green card. I just called the USCIS and they said it usually takes between 30-45 days to receive a new appt letter.

All I wanted to confirm is if rescheduling the interview (green card) would impact the time frame for me to get the EAD work permit...that was my biggest concern.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.