US man w/ CN wife

Moving in state after filing N-400 Citizenship Application

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

My wife is eligible to file her N-400 application for naturalization. We are moving in February (just down the street, very near), 4 months away, and I believe this naturalization process takes about 6 months to complete which would mean if I send in the N-400 now we will have to file a change of address in February.

My concern is that after we move and I file the change of address, and I ask the post office to forward any mail from our old address to the new address that somehow an important letter from USCIS will still end up getting lost.

I’ve searched all over the internet about this topic but can only find info for people moving out of state or concerns that aren’t relevant to mine. Does anyone have any experience with a local change of address while N-400 application is pending? Is it a non-issue or am I better off just waiting until after the move to file the N-400?

I’ve considered using a family member’s address as the mailing address on the N-400 but unfortunately they lose things a bit too often for comfort.

Thank you for your input.

PS: Also, worst case scenario, if USCIS sends an important letter like biometrics or interview appointment letter and we never receive it and therefor never show up; what is the worst thing that can happen? Is the N-400 application denied and we just fill out another application and try again, or something worse?

Edited by US man w/ CN wife

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My wife is eligible to file her N-400 application for naturalization. We are moving in February (just down the street, very near), 4 months away, and I believe this naturalization process takes about 6 months to complete which would mean if I send in the N-400 now we will have to file a change of address in February.

My concern is that after we move and I file the change of address, and I ask the post office to forward any mail from our old address to the new address that somehow an important letter from USCIS will still end up getting lost.

Ive searched all over the internet about this topic but can only find info for people moving out of state or concerns that arent relevant to mine. Does anyone have any experience with a local change of address while N-400 application is pending? Is it a non-issue or am I better off just waiting until after the move to file the N-400?

Ive considered using a family members address as the mailing address on the N-400 but unfortunately they lose things a bit too often for comfort.

Thank you for your input.

PS: Also, worst case scenario, if USCIS sends an important letter like biometrics or interview appointment letter and we never receive it and therefor never show up; what is the worst thing that can happen? Is the N-400 application denied and we just fill out another application and try again, or something worse?

If you miss an appointment, they will usually schedule you for another appointment. If you miss two appointments, your application will be considered abandoned and your N400 file will be closed. You can apply again, but you'll have to pay the fee again.

If you move, you need to file an AR-11 form, which all green card holders have to file, but you also need to go online and update your contact info with USCIS regarding your application. If your move within your state does not change your field office, then all you have to worry about is the post office possibly not forwarding mail or USCIS possibly sending letters to the old address even after you inform them of the new address. If your move does change your field office (for example, you move from Houston, TX to Dallas, TX) then you should expect a delay and possible mix-ups while your file is transferred from one office to another. Things could, of course, go smoothly, but it's best to plan for the worst case scenario.

Personally, if your need isn't urgent, and you are moving soon, I would wait until after the move to apply, but many people have applied successfully while moving halfway through the process. Then again, if you are just moving down the street, you might want to look into speaking with the new tenants after you move out and ask them to let you know if they get a letter for you from USCIS. You could be done with most of the process in 4 months.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

If you miss an appointment, they will usually schedule you for another appointment. If you miss two appointments, your application will be considered abandoned and your N400 file will be closed. You can apply again, but you'll have to pay the fee again.

If you move, you need to file an AR-11 form, which all green card holders have to file, but you also need to go online and update your contact info with USCIS regarding your application. If your move within your state does not change your field office, then all you have to worry about is the post office possibly not forwarding mail or USCIS possibly sending letters to the old address even after you inform them of the new address. If your move does change your field office (for example, you move from Houston, TX to Dallas, TX) then you should expect a delay and possible mix-ups while your file is transferred from one office to another. Things could, of course, go smoothly, but it's best to plan for the worst case scenario.

Personally, if your need isn't urgent, and you are moving soon, I would wait until after the move to apply, but many people have applied successfully while moving halfway through the process. Then again, if you are just moving down the street, you might want to look into speaking with the new tenants after you move out and ask them to let you know if they get a letter for you from USCIS. You could be done with most of the process in 4 months.

Thank you

I'm pretty sure that USPS will not forward any USCIS mail since they have a restriction on which mail is forwarded (at least they used to). Basically they will forward any unimportant mail like catalogues or other junk. However any government mail they didn't forward for us.

I suggest to talk to your landlord regarding any leftover mail - we basically ended up going to our previous address once a month to pick up whatever stuff was not forwarded. We didn't move during any immigration process, so maybe in your case just stop by more frequently.

Adjustment of Status

Dec 3, 2008 - Aug 20, 2009 (approval on August 7th)

Removing of Conditions

May 9, 2011 - October 4, 2011 (approval on September 28th)

Naturalization

July 19, 2014 - N400 packet sent out

July 21, 2014 - N400 packet delivered

July 23, 2014 - received email/text that I-797 is issued

July 26, 2014 - received I-797 in mail

August 11, 2014 - received the Biometrics notification

August 14, 2014 - biometrics walk-in (original date August 20)

August 18, 2014 - in line for interview scheduling

September 9, 2014 - yellow letter is received (letter is issued September 3)

November 3, 2014 - interview notice is issued (email/text alert)

November 10, 2014 - interview notice received with the interview date of December 11, 2014.

November 10, 2014 - request to reschedule mailed out

December 5, 2014 - interview notice is sent out (email/text alert)

December 11, 2014 - received an interview letter in mail

January 10, 2015 - interview on Saturday at 7am

January 26, 2015 - sent the requested documentation

February 26, 2015 - oath letter is issued (email/text alert)

March 2, 2015 - oath letter is received

March 18, 2015 - oath at 8am

I think you are over concerned. When you move change your address, and you should be fine. You can open a pobox with post office if you wanna have your own pobox for mailing purposes. I saw most of the time their online case status is accurate when it comes to N400, I would keep an eye on the online status and if you see they send you something and you didn't receive then you can follow up with them.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.