Kimbear

new passport requirements as of 10/2014

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have no idea why someone wouldn't be a reference. They don't call them or anything. Wow! You used to have to find a doctor or lawyer that had known your for 2 years but I think the doctors in Canada got tired of doing all these passport applications so they made it easier. I'm sorry your ex is such a jerk. My ex-boyfriend (my daughter's father) was my guarantor because I knew he had a valid passport! YEESH!

Yes, they do check references. Especially if it's a first or emergency passport. I do agree finding a guarantor is generally easier now. I never had that issue growing up in the church. I always knew a pastor who could act as guarantor.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They need all of your travel documents under the same name. If you're traveling with your maiden name in your passport, your tickets will also need to be in that name.

And to change it on your passport is a pain - you have to re-apply and pay the full fee, not just renew. :(

Yes, they do check references. Especially if it's a first or emergency passport. I do agree finding a guarantor is generally easier now. I never had that issue growing up in the church. I always knew a pastor who could act as guarantor.

Huh.. never had them do that for either passport I have.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

They need all of your travel documents under the same name. If you're traveling with your maiden name in your passport, your tickets will also need to be in that name.

And to change it on your passport is a pain - you have to re-apply and pay the full fee, not just renew. :(

Oh no :angry: Bad timing! Oh well hopefully my picture is good (as good as passport pictures can be) I'll ask for a few extra copies. Ugh and it`s more expensive when you file from the USA. That`s what you get for falling in love with an American!

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

Your travel docs should be but you can travel in your maiden name and have your green card in your married name. Just bring your marriage certificate when you travel. But yes, you're not renewing if you change your name, you have to reapply. I had to do the same thing but I was still in Canada so it was significantly easier. Well beyond the fact that I had no passport when my husband's grandma died and I was stuck in Canada vs going with him to the funeral. Felt like the world's most non-supportive wife at the time.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Geesh...I kept my maiden name because it would have been too much of a hassle to change everything over to my husband's last name and used my maiden name on our marriage certificate. Was going to change it when I become a US citizen in the next year and half which will also be about the time that I will need a new Canadian passport. What a headache!!

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Reason #238 why I kept my name... Two passports, professional accreditations, Nexus and all... Plus some documents that would forever be in my maiden name. I had no interest to do it, but time and cost to change it all completely convinced me not to change it at all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.