Kimbear

new passport requirements as of 10/2014

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

as read from here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-09-18.asp

New requirements for legal name changes

If you are applying for a new passport following a legal name change, you must first update your proof of Canadian citizenship (i.e. your birth certificate in Canada or your Canadian Citizenship Certificate) to reflect your new legal name.

What the hell am i suposed to do if i'm from Quebec? They dont allow you to change your maiden name to your married name and i haven't lived there in years, so there is no way for me to change my Birth Certificate.

They dont say whether this applies to married names or not...so, do i just ignore it?

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Read this part. Getting married isn't really a name change they just humour us.

New requirements to assume a relationship surname

If you are applying for a new passport in an assumed relationship surname that is different from the name on your birth or citizenship certificate, you must submit one of the following documents, issued by a federal or provincial/territorial government authority, or local equivalent abroad, along with your birth or citizenship certificate:

a marriage certificate; or
a common-law relationship certificate; or
a court order (i.e. separation agreement or divorce order/judgement) issued by a court of law in or outside Canada; or
a certificate to dissolve a registered common-law relationship; or
a resumption of surname certificate.
Note that the identity document submitted in support of your passport application, must display the relationship surname you are requesting.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

So if you want your married name you would give them the marriage certificate. Plus birth certificate with your maiden name on it, no need to change it.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, there's no need to "legally" Change your last name to your married name. You kinda just start using it, and then change your ID and whatever else over to it. No need to change your birth certificate!

IR1/CR1 Visa - We are using a lawyer!

Embassy: Montreal, Canada

USCIS

22 Jan 2013 -- packageSent
31 Jan 2013 -- NOA1 from NBC

6 Mar 2013 -- I130 transferred to Orlando local field office (which started the whole nightmare)

Mar 2013 to October 2013 no one would tell us where our case was or what was happening. I suspected the whole time it was just sitting in a corner somewhere in the Orlando field office. I was pretty much right.

October 2013 - get congressman involved. Congressman asks USCIS repeatedly about our case but they won't even tell them anything.

31 Jan 2014- finally get NOA2!!!! (we think the nightmare is over!)

NVC

Our case was not sent from the Orlando field office as it should have been. The nightmare continues. We kept calling NVC and asking if they received our case, and they always said "NO" and that we had to wait 90 business days for it to be received. We called USCIS during this time and they kept telling us it had been sent. After the 90 days of agonizing frustration, NVC then started telling us we had to wait 120 business days. I got our congressman involved again, and they told the congressman it was sitting at the Orlando office this whole time (just as I thought it was!).

22 Apr 2014 -- NVC received
16 May 2014 -- NVC case number assigned
24 May 2014 -- AoS and IV bills paid

28 May 2014 -- Sent AoS and IV Packages

6 June 2014 -- documents scanned

18 July 2014 -- false checklist from NVC

21 July 2014 -- Case complete

28 July 2014 -- receive case complete email from NV

30 July 2014 -- interview booked! September 11 here I come!

Embassy
04 Sept 2014 -- Medical
11 Sept 2014 -- Interview - APPROVED!!!!
15 Sept 2014 -- Package arrived at Loomis location!!!

**03 Oct 2014 -- POE!! **

I NOW LIVE IN OCALA, FL!!!!

Timeline

derp i'm an idiot..sigh..too much on my plate atm. lol. btw, do i have to send back my old passport? it expired LAST October..:( i never got around or had the funds to renew it til now..

HWDWm6.png

I'm not from Canada, but I think that they are referring to a name change by court when they say legal name change. I know here in NY you can change your birth cert when you change your name through court, but name change through marriage is a whole other thing. I agree with Ontarkie, your marriage cert with your birth cert should be what is needed.

This does not constitute legal advice.

http://passport.gc.ca/info/index.aspx?lang=eng&region=USA

If you apply before the expiration date passes one year you can renew it, otherwise you have to apply for a new one. Also if you were married you don't renew but rather apply for a new one (if you're assuming your married surname for example.)

You may renew if your most recent Canadian passport:

• is still valid or expired for no more than one year;
  • is in the same name as your current application;
  • was issued with 5-year or 10-year validity;
  • is not damaged;
  • was never reported lost or stolen; and
  • you were at least 16 years old at the time of your previous application.
Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I live in Toronto, did a name change in April, before i did so, they told me i had to have to have another piece of id with the new last name, so i walked up the street and apply for a new health card with the new last name,

after i got it i went and apply for the passport, they need to see some form of id with the new last name and your signature. Also u cant renew the passport u have to apply all over again, so u will need two references and a guarantor. Also walk with your old passport and a copy of your marriage certificate.

Timeline

ya i know i have to apply for a new one and pay a stupid outrageous price just because i live in usa..sigh.

as for guarantor i already go the 'In lieu of" form from the local consulate, since well i have no one i can use as a guarantor here. my only other issue will be where in hell to get the Canadian size pictures..

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I went to change my name on my passport last week, and before I could even line up, a man who looked like a security guard said I had to have ID with my new name, and then I'd have to apply for a brand new passport. So now I'm waiting on my new driver's license and health card from Service Ontario, then I get to pay $120 for 5 years or $160 for 10 years (it's $190 for 5 years and $260 for those of you lucky enough to be with your spouses in the US). It just seems like a money grab to me. and if that's the case, let's call a spade a spade and and just pay $160 for a name change. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The new passport rules are a total money grab! It's also difficult as heck for some to get one due to garantor and references. I was going though a bad divorce and everybody that I could think of that I had known long enough had sided with my ex husband in the split and wouldn't agree to be references. Luckily, I found 3 people at my church. Even more luckily I got an emergency pasport same day for an extra $100.

I have no idea why someone wouldn't be a reference. They don't call them or anything. Wow! You used to have to find a doctor or lawyer that had known your for 2 years but I think the doctors in Canada got tired of doing all these passport applications so they made it easier. I'm sorry your ex is such a jerk. My ex-boyfriend (my daughter's father) was my guarantor because I knew he had a valid passport! YEESH!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I need to renew my passport before December, probably get married next summer and taking my husbands name. Does that mean I will have to renew my passport again or will I be ok to travel with my passport using my maiden name?

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.