avpin

Upgrading F2A to IR, but PD has gone past

19 posts in this topic

Today my wife will become US citizen :)

Once we get the naturalization certificate we will send a copy to USCIS as I am waiting for my i 130 approvals(NOA2). My PD is feb 03 2014. As you guys advised in my previous post, the PD will remain same after upgrading my petition from f2a to IR.

But in CR/IR category feb month process is already completed. How will this affect in my case? Will they process my case faster? or are they gonna give me a new PD? Have anyone gone through similar experience? Please Help!!!???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

there are no priority dates when married to a USC, so you don't have to wait anymore once they have updated your wife's status, .

When USCIS receives the request to upgrade, you will be able to get NOA2 right away. Since the case has been processing since Feb, they should pull it right away for adjudication. Then the case will go directly for NVC processing. You want to stay on top of this and make sure that USCIS receives this request and finishes processing your application ASAP. Good luck.

This does not constitute legal advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We have sent the copy of Naturalization Certificate to USCIS and after some days the status has been changed to "On October 30, 2014, we received your correspondence for your I130, IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN . You will receive a notice in the mail when further action is taken on this case. Please check our website at www.uscis.gov for further updates on your case. If you move, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address."

Can someone please tell me whats the meaning of this status message? Our petition get approved soon? Please Please Please help... Thank you

Since you just upgraded your petition and it has been pending since February, it should be approved soon. I can't say how long for sure, but hopefully within the next few weeks.

By the way your PD is irrelevant now that you are a USC. Also just want to make sure, you didn't have any children that were immigrating under this petition, right?

Edited by Ian H.

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the quick response :)

No, No children.

I have read somewhere that feb filers (spouse of USC) already have been approved and moved to VSC. If this information is correct then will it affect my petition? Please advise

Thank you so much

You are now a USC, so your petition would be approved according to the processing times for USC's. Therefore, if February filers for VSC have been approved, you should too soon. Remember that now they actually have to go over your petition, since it's just been sitting there.

When you were F2A, your petition is checked for completeness and the fee, then it is kept in some file cabinet or something until it's ready to be processed. Now that you are a USC, they have to go in there, dig up your application, process it, then approve it. This is why I said I couldn't be sure how long they would take, but because of the time it's been sitting there it should be pretty soon.

This I read from a guy that used to work in a service center who explained how they handle petitions and such. I wish I could remember where, there was pretty good info about the ins and outs of USCIS.

Hello Ian,

At last they have found our docs :)

My status has been again changed to "On October, 2014, we received your correspondence for Form I-130, Immigrant Petition for Relative, Fiance(E), or Orphan, Receipt Number "*******************". We are reviewing your correspondence, and will mail you a notice if we need something from you. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address." Just update.

Good. It should just be a matter of time now. I would say to give them 2 weeks before calling in to check on the status again. It shouldn't be long now before your case is approved since it looks like they are currently "touching" your case.

Today my wife will become US citizen :)

Once we get the naturalization certificate we will send a copy to USCIS as I am waiting for my i 130 approvals(NOA2). My PD is feb 03 2014. As you guys advised in my previous post, the PD will remain same after upgrading my petition from f2a to IR.

But in CR/IR category feb month process is already completed. How will this affect in my case? Will they process my case faster? or are they gonna give me a new PD? Have anyone gone through similar experience? Please Help!!!???

Avpin, did you try to check your petition on USCIS website check your case status online ? This is the easiest way to check if your petition has been approved.

• 3 weeks later...

We sent an email to USCIS to check the update and we got this,

Dear **********:

On 11/24/2014 you, or the designated representative shown below, contacted us about your case. Some of the key information given to us at that time was the following:

Caller indicated they are:
-- Applicant or Petitioner

Attorney Name:
-- Information not available

Case type:
-- I130

Filing date:
-- 01/15/2014

Receipt #:

Referral ID:
Beneficiary (if you filed for someone else):

Your USCIS Account Number (A-number):
-- Information not available

Type of service requested:
-- Outside Normal Processing Times

The status of this service request is:

On November 19, 2014, you or your representative contacted USCIS concerning your Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, to notify us that you have naturalized and are requesting an upgrade in the status of your petition. Below is a summary of what we found and how the issue has been or may be resolved.

We have updated your relative petition to reflect that you are now a U.S. citizen. As a result, your petition has moved to a new visa category. However, immigrant visas in the new visa category are not immediately available from the U.S. Department of State (DOS).

You can obtain more information about immigrant visa processing at the DOS Web site at
www.travel.state.gov. You can also ask to have the Visa Bulletin sent to you monthly via email. Complete instructions on how to subscribe can be found at the bottom of the Visa Bulletin, which you can also view on the DOS Web site.

We hope this information is helpful to you.

Somebody Please tell me what is it about

• 2 weeks later...

That email that they sent you doesn't make any sense. Spouses of USC's don't have to wait for immigrant visas to become available, the number is unlimited. Once you upgrade the petition from F2A to IR1 a visa would be available immediately. That email is clearly a mistake. Have you tried contacting them over the phone? You should contact your senator and congressperson for help as well. I'm not sure if an infopass would help, but you could try that route as well.

Edited by Ian H.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.