GBCW

How I Was Bullied By A Senior Citizen On The M72 Bus

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jen Chung have had her 4-year old give up her seat for the crotchety old lady?

• Yes. Old people are very very important.
    • No. The old lady deserved no respect at all.
  2. 2. Having to deal with other people so much...

• Is what sucks about mass transit.
    • Is the best part of mass transit.
  3. 3. Are children people?

• Yes.
    • No.

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

By Jen Chung/Gothamist

On Sunday afternoon, my four-year-old daughter and I waited for the M72 bus to take us from the Upper West Side to the Upper East Side. The bus was a little late ... At first, my daughter and I sat down in the first two-seater row, facing the front. But then I got up and told her that we'd sit further back, since those seats were "Priority seating."

"What's priority seating?" my daughter asked.

"Seats for someone older or someone who might have trouble getting on the bus. It makes it easier for them," I explained as we settled into the fourth row, with my daughter taking the window seat.

A senior citizen—maybe in her early 60s, and not seemingly infirm (though I can't account for internal pain/issues)—walked down the aisle, ignoring the adults in their 30s or 40s sitting in the priority seating row. Perhaps she didn't see my daughter at first, but when she did, she audibly groaned. Then she turned, muttering something along the lines of, "I can't believe people let their children sit on the bus."

She did not speak to me, so I decided to ignore her. The woman sitting in front of me asked the older woman, "Would you like my seat?" and the older woman declined—but then proceeded to grumble some more about how she deserved a seat and my daughter didn't. So I said, "Excuse me, do you have something to say to me directly? Instead of talking about this passive aggressively?"

"Yes," the senior citizen said. "Your two-year-old shouldn't have a seat."

"What are you talking about? She's four!" I said.

Another (older) woman sitting behind me said urgently, "I don't think she's asking passive aggressively! She wants a seat."

But, I thought, she didn't accept the seat from the other lady! I looked at the senior citizen, and said, "Are you asking for my seat? Is that what you want?"

"Yes."

I picked up my daughter and put her on my lap as I scooted over by the window. We were both wearing coats (it was windy on Sunday) and now my daughter's head was two inches from the handle on the preceding bus seat, so I put my hand on the handle, in case the bus braked quickly and her head went forward. The senior citizen said, "I think you could show your daughter that you respect me by giving up a seat."

"But what about the people up in priority seating? Why didn't you ask them for their seats?" I asked as my daughter and I were packed in like sardines (if we didn't have a row in front of us, I would not be writing, ugh, 1,000 words on this).

This flummoxed the senior citizen. She sighed and finally said, "I believe I deserve respect AND priority."

It's another one for the timeless debate about whether children count as actual people on mass transit.

http://gothamist.com/2014/10/09/bus_etiquette_kids_nyc.php

We have issues with elderly people in the groceries store.

Last incident happened recently. I went shopping with my daughter. So she went to pick some salads. While she was doing that, an elderly woman came from behind and pushed my daughter so hard, she almost felt !!!! My daughter got hurt :( I saw it all. I was further away picking some other stuff, but close enough to see it.

And guess what, elderly "lady" was feeling like she did the right thing and had 0 regret. I can't stand arrogant, mannerless people. No matter what age they are.

The same thing happened to our guests, when we went shopping together.

I'm not saying all of them are like that, but definitely more then enough.

ROC VSC mailed 5/7/14

NOA1 5/9

Check cashed 5/14

Biometrics current

RFE dated 12/18

RFE mailed 1/20

Approved 2/2 ! ( letter came from the local office)

Card received 2/17/15 !!!!

what? a legal adult pushed your child in the grocery store? that's crazy.

Yes, with the shopping cart drove in to my daughters back. My daughter is refusing to go to the store with me after this. I lost my helper :(

And I got my feet hurt couple times with elderly ladies shopping carts. It's useless to argue with people like that. They feel they own the place.

Now we try to go for groceries very late, when elderly people are home. Morning is the most dangerous time to go to the store.

We have many elderly people communities around.

ROC VSC mailed 5/7/14

NOA1 5/9

Check cashed 5/14

Biometrics current

RFE dated 12/18

RFE mailed 1/20

Approved 2/2 ! ( letter came from the local office)

Card received 2/17/15 !!!!

Yes, with the shopping cart drove in to my daughters back. My daughter is refusing to go to the store with me after this. I lost my helper :(

And I got my feet hurt couple times with elderly ladies shopping carts. It's useless to argue with people like that. They feel they own the place.

Now we try to go for groceries very late, when elderly people are home. Morning is the most dangerous time to go to the store.

We have many elderly people communities around.

wow. i just pushed back my grocery shopping till this evening. good call.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Big mistake.

In the city, use a cab or Uber....

By Jen Chung/Gothamist

On Sunday afternoon, my four-year-old daughter and I waited for the M72 bus to take us from the Upper West Side to the Upper East Side.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I would have put my daughter in my lap instinctively but maybe not every one would do that, regardless, it doesn't give the old hag the right to be a douche nozzle. Try something like, "excuse me, could the two of you share so I may sit?" Then if the person refuses feel free to spew your aggression.

Give peace a chance.

Edited by Operator

So I said, "Excuse me, do you have something to say to me directly? Instead of talking about this passive aggressively?"

The old lady should've slapped the uppity .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This was the mistake

So I said, "Excuse me, do you have something to say to me directly? Instead of talking about this passive aggressively?"
Edited by GandD

Uppity???????????? How do you know she's black?

Gear down big shifter.

Where's Jinx??

This was the mistake

I agree G. She should've just kept quiet, the old lady was just ramblin.

is early 60s really considered senior citizen?

I'll be 51 next month and based on the aches and pains I have along with my mind being fried at times, I can unequivocally say YES!!!