33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi guys, i would like to try to find something out, and i hope i make it clear enough for you guys to be able to help me, lol.

i am a k1 visa holder and i will soon be moving to America, getting married and then applying for the AOS.

i am from Poland and my LEGAL name, the one that's in all the documents, is Katarzyna, but the "short" and another form for that name is Kasia, they are both the same names, yes i know they look totally different but they are the same, lol. Katarzyna is just like an official form of my name...i guess kind of like Alex would be a short and another form for Alexander, except u can actually tell that one is derivered from the other lol. I want Kasia to be my official name in America, name that I use when applying for things or sign my name onto something, just my official legal name. How do i go on about this? Since it IS the same name, do i need to officially change it or not? or do i just start using it?

You can start using it in person but in AOS no.

And here's why. Your legal name is Katarzyna, that is the name that is in your legal documents, birth certificate, passport, licenses?

You're using a nickname, Just like if my name was jessica I could use the name jess, just like your example but my name would still be Jessica on paper.

You have to get your first name legally changed before you can use it as just Kasia alone on any legal documents.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Timeline

You can start using it in person but in AOS no.

And here's why. Your legal name is Katarzyna, that is the name that is in your legal documents, birth certificate, passport, licenses?

You're using a nickname, Just like if my name was jessica I could use the name jess, just like your example but my name would still be Jessica on paper.

You have to get your first name legally changed before you can use it as just Kasia alone on any legal documents.

ok lol i guess that makes sense.....how do i go about changing my first name then? how and where can i do it after i arrive in america? or do i change it here....tho people gonna look at me like im crazy

Kasia is a nickname. Katarzyna is your given legal name. You can introduce yourself as Kasia, sign Kasia... all that; but legally, unless your do a legal name change and your documents show "Kasia", you are Katarzyna.

Edited by Boston~Montreal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

It maybe the same name but you'll deffo need to officially change it. If the world only worked on 'spoken words' instead of 'written words', then you'd be fine lol.out loud they are the same but written, two different names. Katarzyna Smith and Kasia Smith are the same person to you but officially they are like two different people. As soon as a name is spelled differently, even by one letter, officially on documents, they can be seen as different people.

I hope this makes sense.

?

Edited by HDreams

ok lol i guess that makes sense.....how do i go about changing my first name then? how and where can i do it after i arrive in america? or do i change it here....tho people gonna look at me like im crazy

I think you have to get it changed in Poland.

It'd be easier to just use that as your nickname.

You wont be a PR for many months yet so everything you will be applying for will be in your legal name.

So if you change your first name legally that means changing everything, passport, green card, bank cards, social security card, leases, license, everything.

You would have to contact the county court where youre moving to in the US to ask if you can change it there. Or just contact the one where you live now and find out from them,

Edit- you can only change your first name in the USA when you become a citizen. so at least 3-4 years. Change it in Poland if you really must. and then get a new passport from them with your new names. then itll be easier to change it in the USA.

Edited by Cody and Daisy

London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

you guys are right...too much to do and too little time. but...once i get a green card and become a resident, may i change my first name in the US?

Yes, you can request a legal name change, use google to find out how in your state. To get a new Green card in that name will be a $450 - see: http://www.uscis.gov/i-90

Yes, you can request a legal name change, use google to find out how in your state. To get a new Green card in that name will be a $450 - see: http://www.uscis.gov/i-90

Not until you are a citizen,

Having a green card does not make you a member of the state, it makes you a welcomed guest.

You still belong to your home country, You have to get it changed there first.

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

Timeline

Having a green card does not make you a member of the state, it makes you a welcomed guest.

ok ii see, but once i become a citizen i can change it in america without a problem yes?

You can certainly change your name here... same way some people change their name when they get married! See the rules for Massachusetts, no need to be a citizen - and it's certainly done for non-citizens... http://www.mass.gov/courts/selfhelp/name-changes/name-change-who.html

We can argue about that...

Rights granted to Permanent Residents are much more than to a "guest"

Rights and Responsibilities of a Green Card Holder (Permanent Resident)

Your Rights as a Permanent Resident

As a permanent resident (green card holder), you have the right to:

• Live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable under immigration law
  • Work in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing. (Please note that some jobs will be limited to U.S. citizens for security reasons)
  • Be protected by all laws of the United States, your state of residence and local jurisdictions

Your Responsibilities as a Permanent Resident

As a permanent resident, you are:

• Required to obey all laws of the United States the states, and localities
  • Required to file your income tax returns and report your income to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities (see IRS link to the right)
  • Expected to support the democratic form of government and not to change the government through illegal means
  • Required, if you are a male age 18 through 25, to register with the Selective Service

Source: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/rights-and-responsibilities-permanent-resident/rights-and-responsibilities-green-card-holder-permanent-resident

You can certainly change your name here... same way some people change their name when they get married! See the rules for Massachusetts, no need to be a citizen - and it's certainly done for non-citizens... http://www.mass.gov/courts/selfhelp/name-changes/name-change-who.html

We can argue about that...

Rights granted to Permanent Residents are much more than to a "guest"

Changing your first name and changing your last name are very different.

You can change your last name with marriage because a marriage document is document that gives you permission to change your last name.

Also I wasnt saying that an LPR we are just a guest but we are not a citizen, we are still tied to our home countries not fully to america.

I am not saying we have no rights nor did i say we had no rights. I said we are a welcomed guest. just not a citizen.

A green card holder has almost every right a citizen has, but we have to still rely on a permit basically that allows us to stay here.

I am not going to "argue about that", because i agree on both terms. because at the end of the day, until you are a citizen (if you want to be), we can still have our green cards revoked and removed from the country. So yes, i stand by saying we are a welcome guest.

Edit- You still have to be a citizen to change your first name in the USA. you can change it outside in your home country still and then change it on forms. but until you are a citizen, you cant change your first name in the USA first.

Edited by Cody and Daisy

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

OP- I found this usefull, you can apparently change your first name on the petition to become a citizen when it is time to apply.

So just another thing to think about if you can wait a few years,

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i-m-a-permanent-resident-and-i-want-to-change-my-n-1303186.html

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.