33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Bahrain
Timeline

It does make it so.

Changing your middle and last with marriage is perfectly normal.

Many people decide to forgoe their middle name so they can have it as their maiden name and then still have new last name.

Changing your middle and last name is NOT like changing your first name. You case has nothing to do with changing a persons first name.

Changing your frist name can be hard and difficult and require changing EVERYTHING. Not just some paper work.

Your wife could change her middle and last name when you married because you married.

Unless you have changed your first name or she has changed her first name through what I only can say is you're saying marriage (which is impossible by the way to change through marriage) then you cannot tell the OP that she can do that.

YOU HAVE TO BE A CITIZEN TO CHANGE YOUR FIRST NAME IN THE USA.

just like YOU have to be a CITIZEN to change your first name in my country.

I would have to change my first name in england before i can change it on goverment ID's in America.

Stop trying to use your wife as a case, it isn't the same. it's not the same process, it's not the same procedure. It is VERY different.

http://info.legalzoom.com/change-first-name-legally-20158.html

http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/how-to-legally-change-your-name.html

Again, you can change your name to anything you like when married. You simply need to declare it to a judge (when registering your marriage). I know of no state the restricts the first name saying it cannot be changed at all. They simply restrict certain usages for last name, or combo of that, with or without a hyphen. They also restrict typical ideas, such as using spelled out numbers instead of the actual number. Or they restrict you from using racist remarks, singular marks, or names of infamy. Otherwise I know of no state that would restrict you from doing it. It is common for people not to do it though.

Every state has different rules and every country as well. Our Federal Rules will guide her on this. All she needs to do is have a form filled out from the Polish Embassy, Department of Foreign Affiars, or Consulate. The U. S. Embassy or Department of State will stamp it (for around $50) and then it is considered complete. NVC will accept it, so will USCIS. Yes, she would need to get a new passport at that point. Yes, it could slow down her process in everything (as I said before). But you have then fulfilled the State requirement from USCIS.

Anyway, it would just be simpler to wait until you naturalize and ask the judge before you swear in the oath. They will change it for you then for free. Just explain it means the same thing, but is a lot simpler to spell for you.

http://info.legalzoom.com/change-first-name-legally-20158.html

http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/how-to-legally-change-your-name.html

Again, you can change your name to anything you like when married. You simply need to declare it to a judge (when registering your marriage). I know of no state the restricts the first name saying it cannot be changed at all. They simply restrict certain usages for last name, or combo of that, with or without a hyphen. They also restrict typical ideas, such as using spelled out numbers instead of the actual number. Or they restrict you from using racist remarks, singular marks, or names of infamy. Otherwise I know of no state that would restrict you from doing it. It is common for people not to do it though.

Every state has different rules and every country as well. Our Federal Rules will guide her on this. All she needs to do is have a form filled out from the Polish Embassy, Department of Foreign Affiars, or Consulate. The U. S. Embassy or Department of State will stamp it (for around $50) and then it is considered complete. NVC will accept it, so will USCIS. Yes, she would need to get a new passport at that point. Yes, it could slow down her process in everything (as I said before). But you have then fulfilled the State requirement from USCIS.

Anyway, it would just be simpler to wait until you naturalize and ask the judge before you swear in the oath. They will change it for you then for free. Just explain it means the same thing, but is a lot simpler to spell for you.

Neither of those sites showed anything about changing your FIRST name.

You cannot change your FIRST name when you get married. you can change your middle and last.

The op wanted to change her FIRST name.

Even if I am somehow incorrect (which i will admit) and you can change your first name with out being a citizen, you still cannot change your FIRST name through marriage.

Marriage allows you to change your LAST NAME, and sometimes MIDDLE name.

Because you have joined your life to someone else, you can legally use your marriage certificate to show you have either chosen his name (or he yours), or joined names.

Even though some states do not put down the new LAST NAME on a certificate such as mine, Because I am married I can use my certificate as a legal name change document and start using my husbands last name on all documents, for example my name is still jane doe on the certificate, but I have applied for all my AOS, EAD, and AP in my new name jane john, and once my EAD arrives I can change my SSN, bank cards, credit cards, name on lease and eventually my passport from the UK.

A marriage certificate is not a right to change your FIRST name, this would need a court order, a petition, and a small hearing like meeting with a judge to sign papers to your new FIRST name.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Neither of those sites showed anything about changing your FIRST name.

You cannot change your FIRST name when you get married. you can change your middle and last.

The op wanted to change her FIRST name.

Even if I am somehow incorrect (which i will admit) and you can change your first name with out being a citizen, you still cannot change your FIRST name through marriage.

Marriage allows you to change your LAST NAME, and sometimes MIDDLE name.

Because you have joined your life to someone else, you can legally use your marriage certificate to show you have either chosen his name (or he yours), or joined names.

Even though some states do not put down the new LAST NAME on a certificate such as mine, Because I am married I can use my certificate as a legal name change document and start using my husbands last name on all documents, for example my name is still jane doe on the certificate, but I have applied for all my AOS, EAD, and AP in my new name jane john, and once my EAD arrives I can change my SSN, bank cards, credit cards, name on lease and eventually my passport from the UK.

A marriage certificate is not a right to change your FIRST name, this would need a court order, a petition, and a small hearing like meeting with a judge to sign papers to your new FIRST name.

That will be off topic but it is better than making another thread, so i will ask here. From what you said I understand that you have applied for the AOS and you are awaiting the EAD? And you are saying that once your EAD arrives, you will change your maiden name to your new last name on all the documents you listed. My question is, can I actually get a bank account while waiting for the green card or EAD even?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.