pompeii

What I have to do ? Marriage under VWP.

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everybody !

Let me explain my story, I am a little bit lost...

Met my boyfriend online, March 2013. Met him in person July 2013 til October 2013.
He lives in LA. We flew together on July 2013. I had to answer to some questions in Philadelphia, where I had a stop. I was with him.
Questions like : how do you meet each other ? where will you stay ? (at his home, I filled the plane document with his address). etc and I finally finished my trip without problems.

I think they were suspicious because I had two months vacation, and when they asked "do you have a job?" my answer was not clear...
Anyways.

Come back Italy two months later.

Then I came again to the US, 5 months later, for one month, and I said I came to visit a friend (on the plane document I wrote a friend's address).

And then, I came back in the US for the summer. He asked me to marry me and I said yes :))))
It was before the end of the 90 days, it happened one week and a half before the end.

We both want to stay together, because we are in love and another separation would be so hard... so what I have to do ?
I didn't know he would ask me, so I only have one suitcase with vacation clothes, and an inscription in an Italian university for October.
I still pay my car insurance in my country. Is it sufficient to prove my non-intent to stay here ?

Is it a problem if we knew each other since one year and a half and had already spend time together before this summer ?

I read somewhere that if you are allowed to enter in the US at the airport, it means you have no intent to immigrate. Is that true ?

Please help me, my head is a real mess right now.

Thank you very much in advance.

PS : I know we have to filled I-130

Edited by pompeii

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

so my question is are you still in the US or are you back in Italy??????

why did you lie saying you were going to visit a friend..... that can be suspcious about your intentions. you shouldnt lie.

your history reminds me of mine.....

I dateds my husband for 5 years and I came to the US 11 times I never had a problem.... I would spend here 89 days and go back to spain.

they took out direct fligts from Barcelona to Atlanta last year and this last time I came here in April I had to stop in philadelphia for the first time.

it was NOT good experience. I was stoped in a room for 2 hours.... questions and more questions... they looked at my bags, purse took everything out even from my wallet..... they looked at my iphone, my pictures, my texts messages my facebook!!!!! my ipad the same............

the called my husband (then boyfriend) looking at the phone number from my contacts to see if everything I said was true... they googled him when I said what his job was and who he was.

well they finally let me go and when I landed in ATL I explained everything that happened to me. I was really sad and he was so mad he said that wasnt legal and talked to a friend we have who works at the aiport and apparently they can do anything they want to us not citizens. At the end of my stay literally the last weekend he asked to marry me and stay, because we were worried of what could happen next time.

He travels a lot so our relationship was good visiting each other. for example now Im going to be alone until november so I used to spend this time in spain and come back when he was home but sounded like they werent going to let me come again.

So Im not sure if you would have any problems since you lied saying where you were going.......... if you are being honest and it wasnt your intention you stay once you get married you have to file for AOS and good luck

Edited by IRIScv

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

so my question is are you still in the US or are you back in Italy??????

why did you lie saying you were going to visit a friend..... that can be suspcious about your intentions. you shouldnt lie.

your history reminds me of mine.....

I dateds my husband for 5 years and I came to the US 11 times I never had a problem.... I would spend here 89 days and go back to spain.

they took out direct fligts from Barcelona to Atlanta last year and this last time I came here in April I had to stop in philadelphia for the first time.

it was NOT good experience. I was stoped in a room for 2 hours.... questions and more questions... they looked at my bags, purse took everything out even from my wallet..... they looked at my iphone, my pictures, my texts messages my facebook!!!!! my ipad the same............

the called my husband (then boyfriend) looking at the phone number from my contacts to see if everything I said was true... they googled him when I said what his job was and who he was.

well they finally let me go and when I landed in ATL I explained everything that happened to me. I was really sad and he was so mad he said that wasnt legal and talked to a friend we have who works at the aiport and apparently they can do anything they want to us not citizens. At the end of my stay literally the last weekend he asked to marry me and stay, because we were worried of what could happen next time.

He travels a lot so our relationship was good visiting each other. for example now Im going to be alone until november so I used to spend this time in spain and come back when he was home but sounded like they werent going to let me come again.

So Im not sure if you would have any problems since you lied saying where you were going.......... if you are being honest and it wasnt your intention you stay once you get married you have to file for AOS and good luck

Thank you for your answer.

I'm still in the US.

I wrote a friend's address because he was working and I stayed at my friend's house during my one month trip... I saw him yes, but not only. So it was not a lie I guess ? I don't know...

About my trip this summer, I said I will stay with him.

I wondering if the fact we already knew each other and already spend time together is a problem ?

University inscription and car insurance + phone subscription in Italy are they sufficient proofs of my non-intent to stay in the US ?

If we get married almost two weeks before the end of the VWP is that ok ? We dont really know.

How did you do in your own case ?

Get married, and then follow this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Do NOT leave the US until you have (at least) the AP card.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Thank you for your answer.

I'm still in the US.

I wrote a friend's address because he was working and I stayed at my friend's house during my one month trip... I saw him yes, but not only. So it was not a lie I guess ? I don't know...

About my trip this summer, I said I will stay with him.

I wondering if the fact we already knew each other and already spend time together is a problem ?

University inscription and car insurance + phone subscription in Italy are they sufficient proofs of my non-intent to stay in the US ?

If we get married almost two weeks before the end of the VWP is that ok ? We dont really know.

How did you do in your own case ?

You still have 2 weeks until your VWP expires???? You can still go back home and he asks you with a k-1 visa so you can come and get married with no problem.

I'm still in the process of my AOS, I sent the papers September 12 so just waiting for everything.

If you stay you have to get married and once you are married you sent the AOS. You can't leave the country once you decide to do it!

You are going to need documentation like your birth certificate and vaccinations.

My family was able to send me all this things from Spain by the mail. You will also need to go to the doctor here in the US ( mine cost $320 ) and then the AOS forms is around $1500

The process takes a few months.

Follow the guide Valerie mentioned. You can find all the forms in USCIS website for free with all the instructions of all the documents you need.

There is lots of help in this forum. You can ask me any questions about my case :)

Edited by IRIScv

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

My husband (before we were married) used to visit me for 3 months at a time and leave before his tourist visa expired. On one of his trips we got married and filed the paperwork for the spouse visa 2 weeks before he left back for Italy. He returned home, worked, took care of things to prepare to move here and we waited (I took care of most of the paper work here) and finally he had the interview, got approved and moved here 9 months later. Time varies for each case. That's how we did it, just thought I would share-not sure if that helps at all but anyway good luck!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.