mmoreno

Met a fiance Thru Craigslist

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi All,

I met my fiance on craigslist where I posted a friendly ad under personals which aim is to make friends online because i just wanted to talk to people other than my friends. Now, I have a scheduled interview this Oct and I am unsure if the consul will accept my answer about me meeting my fiance under craigslist, since i think craigslist might be categorized as a fraudulent site? Please enlighten me on this issue. Should I tell the consul about the exact website or just say i met him thru a platonic website? Thanks for your answers in advance!

Timeline

I had a colleague who went to the US for a business trip and in his stay there, he was invited to a wedding ceremony. The couple met also in craiglist and the girl is a Filipina.

AOS Journey:

March 30 - AOS/EAD/AP sent

April 2 - USCIS received

April 9 - NOA1

May 6 - Biometrics

May 7 - Case is ready for interview

May 21 - Request for EAD expedite

May 26 - contact congressman for EAD expedite

June 1 - EAD card in production

June 2 - EAD approved

June 6 - EAD/AP combo card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Have you met your fiance in person?

6/24/2014 - I-130 Shipped via UPS to Chicago

6/26/2014 - I-130 Received and signed for at USCIS

7/1/2014 - E-mail of acceptance with Receipt number - NoA 1 (Routed to California Service Center)

07/15/2014 - Change of Address via phone call with USCIS, confirmation via e-mail.

7/30/2014 - I-130 Approved at USCIS - NoA 2 E-mail

08/13/2014 - NVC Received Approved I-130 package from USCIS

08/21/2014 - Case Number and IIN created at NVC

08/25/2014 - Case Number and IIN received via phone call. DS-261 Available and completed online.

8/26/2014 - AoS Fee invoiced and paid online.

8/28/2014 - AoS Invoice status PAID

09/04/2014 - Expedite Request response - Must enter Beneficiary Date of Birth - Re-sent exact e-mail with requested info

09/10/2014 - Expedite Request e-mail received as "Under Review"

09/11/2014 - Expedite Request Approved - Confirmation via e-mail from U.S. Embassy in Bucharest, Romania

09/16/2014 - Embassy Received Case from NVC

09/16/2014 - Received E-mail from Embassy to Schedule our Interview and prepare documents

9/23/2014 - Medical Exam at Regina Maria - Results OK

10/01/2014 - Visa Approved!

10/03/2014 - Received Passport with Visa!

11/2/2104 - PoE Atlanta - Welcome to the US!

11/5/2014 - Paid $165 ELIS Fee

8/1/2016 - I-751 Packet sent in for Removal of Conditions!

8/15/2016 - Notice of Action 1 for I-751 - California Service Center

9/29/2016 - Received Biometrics Appointment

Hi All,

I met my fiance on craigslist where I posted a friendly ad under personals which aim is to make friends online because i just wanted to talk to people other than my friends. Now, I have a scheduled interview this Oct and I am unsure if the consul will accept my answer about me meeting my fiance under craigslist, since i think craigslist might be categorized as a fraudulent site? Please enlighten me on this issue. Should I tell the consul about the exact website or just say i met him thru a platonic website? Thanks for your answers in advance!

What did your fiancé write on I-129F about how you met?

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I would presume that you put something down when you petitioned to start of with, so also keep that in mind but i woild always be honest, personally I would have the ad in my proof of relationship and then the response to the ad from him etc. Its more about proving your ongoing relationship then how you meet. Of course there are some ways of meeting that do get questioned but I can't imagine you are the first or last to meet in this way. I meet my fiancé on a global chat in a app game, try not to stress and honesty is always best.

Edited by Ana88

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Here is an excerpt from the USCIS website regarding K-1 Visas if you have not met in person :

In general, the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) and U.S. citizen sponsor must have met in person within the past two years. USCIS may grant an exception to this requirement, based on extreme hardship for the U.S. citizen sponsor to personally meet the foreign-citizen fiancé(e), or, for example, if it is contrary in the U.S. citizen sponsor’s or foreign-citizen fiancé(e)’s culture for a man and woman to meet before marriage.

6/24/2014 - I-130 Shipped via UPS to Chicago

6/26/2014 - I-130 Received and signed for at USCIS

7/1/2014 - E-mail of acceptance with Receipt number - NoA 1 (Routed to California Service Center)

07/15/2014 - Change of Address via phone call with USCIS, confirmation via e-mail.

7/30/2014 - I-130 Approved at USCIS - NoA 2 E-mail

08/13/2014 - NVC Received Approved I-130 package from USCIS

08/21/2014 - Case Number and IIN created at NVC

08/25/2014 - Case Number and IIN received via phone call. DS-261 Available and completed online.

8/26/2014 - AoS Fee invoiced and paid online.

8/28/2014 - AoS Invoice status PAID

09/04/2014 - Expedite Request response - Must enter Beneficiary Date of Birth - Re-sent exact e-mail with requested info

09/10/2014 - Expedite Request e-mail received as "Under Review"

09/11/2014 - Expedite Request Approved - Confirmation via e-mail from U.S. Embassy in Bucharest, Romania

09/16/2014 - Embassy Received Case from NVC

09/16/2014 - Received E-mail from Embassy to Schedule our Interview and prepare documents

9/23/2014 - Medical Exam at Regina Maria - Results OK

10/01/2014 - Visa Approved!

10/03/2014 - Received Passport with Visa!

11/2/2104 - PoE Atlanta - Welcome to the US!

11/5/2014 - Paid $165 ELIS Fee

8/1/2016 - I-751 Packet sent in for Removal of Conditions!

8/15/2016 - Notice of Action 1 for I-751 - California Service Center

9/29/2016 - Received Biometrics Appointment

Timeline

Hi,

I was the one who wrote the ad, about Me looking for a new friend to talk to, actually, I wanted to vent out to someone about personal issues that I couldn't vent out to my friends. A lot replied but it was him who I had talked to for the longest months and we met in person :)

I would presume that you put something down when you petitioned to start of with, so also keep that in mind but i woild always be honest, personally I would have the ad in my proof of relationship and then the response to the ad from him etc. Its more about proving your ongoing relationship then how you meet. Of course there are some ways of meeting that do get questioned but I can't imagine you are the first or last to meet in this way. I meet my fiancé on a global chat in a app game, try not to stress and honesty is always best.

Hi,

Aww the problem is the ad has been deleted by craigslist :( but yeah,we did meet in person and I have proofs about our meeting. He and his mom will visit me this coming November too..

Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Aww ok, Thank you so much for your kind responses. Yes, we met in person and got engaged right after we met. And he with his mom is going to visit me this coming November so I guess it is one of the strongest evidence I could show the consul about our ongoing relationship. Sure I will tell the consul about the ad, unfortunately i don't have the add anymore :(

Thanks to all for the moral support :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

As long as you have meet in person in the last two years and have proof of relationship it is honestly no issue. What did you put for meeting on petition? Try not to stress over it all, I know easier said then done, were starting the wait for NOA2 so I get the worry. But as long as you have all the proof and meet criteria the try not worry about the little stuff :D best of luck on your journey :)

P.s don't worry about not having the ad, I only suggested it as a piece of mind for you but it is in no way need as its not proof of relationship, just proof of meeting. If you have proof of relationship that proves you met :P lol.

Edited by Ana88

Timeline

Hi,

Aww sorry I misunderstood your question. He wrote, we met on a platonic site and that's it. Then he summarized in a table about our timeline on how we met and how we pursued our relationship up to engagement

Hi,

I was the one who wrote the ad, about Me looking for a new friend to talk to, actually, I wanted to vent out to someone about personal issues that I couldn't vent out to my friends. A lot replied but it was him who I had talked to for the longest months and we met in person :)

Hi,

Aww the problem is the ad has been deleted by craigslist :( but yeah,we did meet in person and I have proofs about our meeting. He and his mom will visit me this coming November too..

I know, but I mean on I-129F form it asked how both of you met. You said that waiting for the interview means your I-129F was approved. The petitioner which is your fiance filled out the form. Ask your fiance question # 34a on I-129F form.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

As long as you have meet in person in the last two years and have proof of relationship it is honestly no issue. What did you put for meeting on petition? Try not to stress over it all, I know easier said then done, were starting the wait for NOA2 so I get the worry. But as long as you have all the proof and meet criteria the try not worry about the little stuff :D best of luck on your journey :)

P.s don't worry about not having the ad, I only suggested it as a piece of mind for you but it is in no way need as its not proof of relationship, just proof of meeting. If you have proof of relationship that proves you met :P lol.

Haha, that's right :) Thanks to you. God bless on your NOA2 we had been there too! it is a nerve wracking experience :)

Hi,

Aww sorry I misunderstood your question. He wrote, we met on a platonic site and that's it. Then he summarized in a table about our timeline on how we met and how we pursued our relationship up to engagement

So, just said what he wrote on the form. If they asked you furthermore about the site during the interview just tell the truth. You will be fine. No one knows how they will met their future spouses and nothing wrong meeting on the site like Craigslist.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

So, just said what he wrote on the form. If they asked you furthermore about the site during the interview just tell the truth. You will be fine. No one knows how they will met their future spouses and nothing wrong meeting on the site like Craigslist.

Aww sure :) I will tell it to the interviewer :) thank you so much for the tips :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.