13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

hi, idk if this is the right place for this but i want to ask if a person is allowed to get a driver's license when they are in the US on the k1 visa? im gonna go there soon nd get married and apply for aos, ap and ead but before i get any of them i would like to get a drivers license. is that possible?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

That depends on the state. Contact the state DMV and inquire.......but more importantly, can they obtain or be added to auto insurance? That may be the deal killer.

For us, my insurance wouldn't add her with a DL until she had her GC, so we got her a state learner's permit and all was fine.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

I think that you may be able to get one before AOS, but, at least from what I understand of the way it works in Virginia (and other states may be different) it will probably expire when your current stay expires....so if you were to do it the day you land (not likely since you'll need some time to get the paperwork to prove residence) it would expire in 90 days.

Also, many states require a 3 month learner's permit period if you've never held a U.S. driver's license before.

A better course of action, in my opinion, would be to get an international driver's license before arrival and use that until you AOS (or at least until you your get your AP/EAD card which will have a much later date on it)

Timeline

A better course of action, in my opinion, would be to get an international driver's license before arrival and use that until you AOS (or at least until you your get your AP/EAD card which will have a much later date on it)

There is no such thing as an International Driver's License.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Many states will want to see at least an EAD(which you get about 90 days after filing for AOS). Some will give you a temporary one using your I-94. Check the requirements of your state's DMV online or contact them personally to find out.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

ok, an "International Driving Permit" then...

http://www.dmv.org/international-driver-permits.php

Still not necessarily valid or use-able in every state. Then there's that insurance thing, some states require by law every driver to have auto liablity insurance...and their requirements may be more onerous than the state's.

Timeline

Still not necessarily valid or use-able in every state. Then there's that insurance thing, some states require by law every driver to have auto liablity insurance...and their requirements may be more onerous than the state's.

guessing Illinois is one of them?? Saw that is where you live. That is also where I will be living. But not 100 % sure what you mean. I know that to get your license you need to have a car with insurance, which is completely different from my country cause here you pass your test in their car and not the one you bring

^ ok that wasn't what u meant now i know

my fiance doesn't have a car so I couldn't possibly be added to his insurance. I don't care if it's a learner's permit or whatever else, just want to be able to legally drive! :)

Edited by Beautifulday

Timeline

guessing Illinois is one of them?? Saw that is where you live. That is also where I will be living. But not 100 % sure what you mean. I know that to get your license you need to have a car with insurance, which is completely different from my country cause here you pass your test in their car and not the one you bring

Here, the car doesn't get the insurance but the drivers also are listed who are insured to be driving it.

Insurance companies allow one to lend your car to someone for a short period but if you are to be a full time driver, then you must be listed.....and must produce that card/document when pulled over by the police.

Timeline

Here, the car doesn't get the insurance but the drivers also are listed who are insured to be driving it.

Insurance companies allow one to lend your car to someone for a short period but if you are to be a full time driver, then you must be listed.....and must produce that card/document when pulled over by the police.

so what am i to do? do i just get the learner's one? and how is that different than the "regular" one. or am i talking crazy, sorry im kind of slow today

Timeline

so what am i to do? do i just get the learner's one? and how is that different than the "regular" one. or am i talking crazy, sorry im kind of slow today

With the learner's permit, you are allowed to drive as long as there is a licensed driver in the vehicle with you.

You are added to the insurance company's list but are not listed on the policy.

My wife drove in Moscow but when she came to the US, it was like learning all over again.

Of the entire visa process and all the hassles and waiting, the most difficult part of the process is teaching your spouse how to drive!!!

Timeline

With the learner's permit, you are allowed to drive as long as there is a licensed driver in the vehicle with you.

You are added to the insurance company's list but are not listed on the policy.

My wife drove in Moscow but when she came to the US, it was like learning all over again.

Of the entire visa process and all the hassles and waiting, the most difficult part of the process is teaching your spouse how to drive!!!

Right. but will your wife eventually have her permit "turned" into a regular license? or what can she do.

lol yeah i bet!

Timeline

Right. but will your wife eventually have her permit "turned" into a regular license? or what can she do.

lol yeah i bet!

The way it works in Illinois is that you go to the DMV office, they verify your residence, do your vision test and then you take your written test. The learner's permit is valid for a year. Within that time she got her GC and felt comfortable enough to go to the facility and take the driver's test (where you drive around with the instructor). She passed that no problem (She was very nervous about it and wouldn't listen to me telling her that they give licenses to far far worse drivers !!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.