Sweet28

Question before filing K1

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone.its been a while since i started using this VJ. I stop reading some information because me and my boyfriend talk about to moved the filing of fiance visa maybe next year. Well anyway here are some of my question that i hope somebody will help me before he file K1.

1. Does my boyfriend required to have a house by his own?like he just stayed to his mom's house for the main time.

2. He still paying his debt. Which is the reason we talked that to move the filing by next year because of his debt, so does debt affect filling K1? (He has 2 job and earn $3600 a month)

3. Do we have to wait after he paid all his debt before filing K1?

Thanks

1. No he is not required to have a house of his own. He, however, needs to prove that he meets the income requirements.

2 & 3. The petitioner will not be asked about debts so it doesn't matter. Like I said, its all about him proving he can support you at 125% of the poverty level

Hello everyone.its been a while since i started using this VJ. I stop reading some information because me and my boyfriend talk about to moved the filing of fiance visa maybe next year. Well anyway here are some of my question that i hope somebody will help me before he file K1.

1. Does my boyfriend required to have a house by his own?like he just stayed to his mom's house for the main time.

2. He still paying his debt. Which is the reason we talked that to move the filing by next year because of his debt, so does debt affect filling K1? (He has 2 job and earn $3600 a month)

Thanks

1. Nope, he does not need his own house.

2. Debt does not affect filing the K-1.

3. You do not need to wait until all debt is paid.

What does poverty level means?is it a yearly salary?he earn almost $4000 a month..thnx a lot

Poverty level means the minimum level of income that should support a specific household size. In this context, it is the required annual income your sponsor needs to make to support his household size. To be approved, USEM requires 125% of the poverty guidelines for your household size. If it is just you and your fiancé, then your household size is 2 and you only need $19,662 annually. Your fiancé makes ($4000 X 12 months) $48,000 annually, so he should be good.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Hi,

I agree with previous posts.

1. There is no such requirement. He doesn't have to own his home or have his own apartment. You can live wherever you want. Plenty of people live with parents after marriage until they find their own place.

2. The important thing here is the income. They don't care or ask about debts in any way. $3600 a month is way over the minimum required for a household of 2. I assume it's just you 2, unless he has kids or other dependents.

3. Again, there is no such requirement. They don't care how much money he owes, only about his current income.

To sum up, you can file the petition as soon as you want assuming you meet all the other requirements for the petition.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

How about the saving in the bank? Do he need to give the bank statement?or what requirements to have as a financial support? What if he does have saving in bank? Thank you VJ family for answering my question...:)))))

How about the saving in the bank? Do he need to give the bank statement?or what requirements to have as a financial support? What if he does have saving in bank? Thank you VJ family for answering my question... :)))))

Not needed. USEM only needs the most recent year tax return and W-2.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Thanks

1.No

2.No

3.No

AOS

AOS EAD/AP sent: July 23rd

AOS EAD/AP received by USCIS( J Ibarra): July 25th

Email and Text Received: July 30th

NOA1 hard copy: August 4th

Biometrics letter received: August 18th

Biometrics appointment: August 29th

Biometrics completed: August 29th

EAD/AP approved: October 3rd

EAD/AP shipped with tracking number: October 9th

EAD/AP received: October 11th

Notice of potential inteview waiver letter received: November 17th

Dated: November 12th

EAD Renewal sent : June 11th

EAD Renewal NOA1 received: June 15th

Welcome letter received: July 2nd Dated: June 26th

Hi, I agree with the previous post. If USEM doesn't accept or require proof of assets, that's ok. But keep this proof anyway since it would be helpful when you have to submit the I-864. It's not required for the I-864 to use assets if the income is enough, but I always figure the more the better.

If you have an A number because you were previously an LPR, this number would be on your naturalization certificate. If you don't have an A number because you were born a USC, you could leave it blank or write NONE or N/A.

HI ALL,PLEASE WHAT AM I TO FILL AS THE PETITIONER'S A NUMBER?URGENT REPLY WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks

1. No he does not. They do not care where he lives if its inside the US

2. No it does not

3. No you do not.

As long as he is a US Citizen you don't have to wait for anything. I would suggest talking it over when to apply for the visa because remember it does not take over night. If you are lucky you will get the visa in 5-6 months. Also its never too early to start gathering documents, learning the process and gathering evidence like plane tickets, passport stamps, chat logs, skype, viber or whatever you use to communicate.

Good luck to you!!!

Timeline

Actually i gather already all the evidence and some papers to fill up. I gather everything like skype,imesseges,call log,facetime,remittance receipt,photos. The plane ticket passport stamp and hotel receipt is with him. Before he said he will get me when he will be coming back in atates after we meet each other,thats why last june i already prepared everything,but then after a month he changed his mind. He told me he has a problem about his debts, he will settle it down first after he will get me so that when i went there no more debts to be pay like he want 0 balance and only apartment and food and some expenses he want to expense when i get there, thats what he said to me. But now a days he always say everytime he feel sad or no one is there for him that come here now or wish you were here..then i told him, go file now a K1, as always he always responds will pay first my debt.. Sometimes i feel like i'll give up. Long distance relationship is not that easy, sometimes i feel like i expect and it will end up from nothing. But we talked thru facetime almost every hour. So any advice vj family?thnx alot

Well you can try and convince him that owing money is not an issue in regards to getting your visa approved. It has nothing to do whatsoever with the process. Feel free to show him this website and he can check for himself. I understand that he wants to wait because he wants to do things right, but I assure you and so can others on here that having debt is not an issue. Unless he is concerned with being able to come up with the money for the fees and stuff.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i agree with everybody's input. i kind of want to point out the previous response about the fees and everything. that might be what your boyfriend is worried about coz part of the process is kind of expensive, if not really expensive. to file the petition is $340. k1 visa fee is now increased to $265. medical exam fee has also been increased to $245. then the plane ticket will be roughly around $800-$1000 probably coz now way ticket to the US is always expensive compared to roundtrip ticket from the US. then you have the wedding ceremony which depends on what kind of ceremony you will have. then the last part, before removing conditions of permanent residency and naturalization, is the adjustment of status which is very hefty at $1090. so if i have to sum up all the fees from filing the petition to filing of adjustment of status minus removing conditions and naturalization would total to roughly $3000. now if that's an issue for your boyfriend then that might be one of the reasons he wants to pay off his debt first before filing for your visa. i'm hoping he has savings in the bank but if not then that's definitely a big problem to hurdle.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.