mathew5502

Fiance is young (20) and has never worked

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys,

Well my big day (interview) is tomorrow at 8:00am! Im terrified. Im worried the affidavit of supports will not be enough.

My fiance has never worked and we will be using her parents as sponsors. Cumulatively they earn around $50,000 per year. Do you think this enable me to get a visa? Or am i likely heading for rejection?

I AM TERRIFIED!!!!!

Mathew

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Mathew,

Don't be terrified. Be cool relax this is not end of the world. If you freak out, officer might think something wrong and will give you hard time.

I think you will be faced with how you guys are going to take care of living expenses. You should answer this question clearly. I don't think it should be a big deal for rejection. I am not saying "lie" to them but as an idea :idea: I can give to you that you can say you are going to work and she maybe willing to work you can mention about it. Also (i don't know what you are doing for living) tell about your profession and it shouldn't be a problem. 50K is enough to be a sponsor for you. I don't know in detail but if you guys live with her family for a while that should save you guys time to find job and settle down. That would be another option you can provide them.

Good luck with your interview buddy. Keep us updated how it went.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ah, it feels good to see other 20 year olds going for a K-1.

I'm in the exact same situation!

We feel afraid because society judges, but that's not what the consul is supposed to do. We just have to be confident and prove that we won't become a public charge, which you can prove.

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I was unemployed at the time as I'd recently been laid off when my interview happened, and they had no concern for my current income. The embassy already covered the income, and in case they asked, I had copies of several job offers, freelance contracts, savings, etc.

If they ask, state that your fiancee's family is willing to help support you guys while you get on your feet and start your life together. That as soon as you've gotten your EAD after filing for your AoS you're going to look for work, and your fiancee will start looking for work once she's finished college (if she's in college and willing of course).

Be honest, the UK is not a high fraud country, so you won't likely get the Spanish inquisition. Good Luck!

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Timeline

Thanks for your replies everyone :)

Another quickie, what should i wear to the embassy?

You're so nervous, it's adorable. I remember being just as nervous.

My fiance looked very dapper in dress slacks and a button down with loafers. I would recommend dress-casual.

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Timeline

I've read here "wear what you would wear on a job interview", but I don't think it's necessary for men to wear suits, just a little less dressed up than that.

I am super nervous about that too, I look even younger than 20.

Everyone says I look 15, I think I'll go a little more formal lol

Timeline

I've read here "wear what you would wear on a job interview", but I don't think it's necessary for men to wear suits, just a little less dressed up than that.

I am super nervous about that too, I look even younger than 20.

Everyone says I look 15, I think I'll go a little more formal lol

My Fiance is 25 and looks like jailbait too. He was just fine, no need to worry. I was present for his interview, and I look in my early 20s on a bad day, 16 on a good day. If you go for a full suit and tie I personally think you'll look too formal. Most of the people in there will be in jeans and a t-shirt. A lot of people who go to the embassy are USC who lost their visas or want to extend their stay, etc. There will be some people there for Visas, not all will be immigrating, many for visiting or work visas.

However, whatever makes you feel more confident and comfortable is the key. You're not from a high fraud country, so it shouldn't be a difficult interview.

Here's a thread with a list of the common interview questions to help you prepare:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/440805-k1-visa-interview-questions/

http://www.visajourney.com/content/exampleq#k1

And you can always do a google search. Plenty of resources. You can also do a site search (top right hand corner), and look up how interviews go for your consulate/embassy. I always feel more confident when I feel prepared.

Useful Links:

Timeline

My Fiance is 25 and looks like jailbait too. He was just fine, no need to worry. I was present for his interview, and I look in my early 20s on a bad day, 16 on a good day. If you go for a full suit and tie I personally think you'll look too formal. Most of the people in there will be in jeans and a t-shirt. A lot of people who go to the embassy are USC who lost their visas or want to extend their stay, etc. There will be some people there for Visas, not all will be immigrating, many for visiting or work visas.

However, whatever makes you feel more confident and comfortable is the key. You're not from a high fraud country, so it shouldn't be a difficult interview.

Here's a thread with a list of the common interview questions to help you prepare:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/440805-k1-visa-interview-questions/

http://www.visajourney.com/content/exampleq#k1

And you can always do a google search. Plenty of resources. You can also do a site search (top right hand corner), and look up how interviews go for your consulate/embassy. I always feel more confident when I feel prepared.

:rofl:

You're right, thank you!

I thought US citizens could file petitions only if they are 21 years and older? How did a 20 year old file a K-1 petition?

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Timeline

I thought US citizens could file petitions only if they are 21 years and older? How did a 20 year old file a K-1 petition?

Must be 18 and older. Legally free and able to marry in the US is 18+!

Useful Links:

Must be 18 and older. Legally free and able to marry in the US is 18+!

OK, I got confused. To petition a parent, the USC must be at least 21 years old.

No, you have to be 18.

I found a link that says with a parent's consent and signature, the petitioner for the fiancé visa may be younger than 14 years old!

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: Timeline

Well I wish U luck at the interview hope hubby

will be getting a job soon, as u will have to

wait for a permit to work, just help out around,

be grateful to his parents, and no arguing in their

home, if U do tings things will work out & before

U know it U R in your own place....Best wishes

This comment below does not address OP situation+sidebar)

SJK....no matter what the link says or anyone, no

dyamn way I would sign or give any ok to my 14 yr

male or female child to be married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.