hsp_1221

K-1 Visa taking long time also can we get married in mean time

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Thank in advance for taking time to read this.

My fiance filed petition by feeling I-129F form and we are in progress for K-1 visa. we have filed in first week for february but i have not heard anything yet.

I am just wondering can we get married in mean time but also carry our file cause we don't want to waste any time.

Also can we convert K-1 to K-3 visa application if we decided to get marry before we get reply.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

You can marry anytime you want but doing so will result in the K-1 process becoming meaningless since it is for a fiancé to come marry in the US.

There is no "transferring" of cases. If you marry you start all over from square one with filing a petition for a spousal visa.

Short answer, no, you cannot get married.

At POE, you must be the unmarried fiance/fiancee of your soon to be wife/husband. That is of course from a legal sense, you are free to have a non-legal, non-binding celebration, just as long as it does end in you being husband and wife.

When you enter, you will have 90 days to get married, after which you must adjust your status (AOS), you must provide in your application your marriage certificates, and that must be dated somewhere in the 90 days, otherwise AOS will be denied.

You COULD get married, but you'd have to then abort your current K1 petition and reapply down the correct path because K1 is not applicable to married couples.

Good Luck! :dancing:

Edited by GrayL

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Thank in advance for taking time to read this.

My fiance filed petition by feeling I-129F form and we are in progress for K-1 visa. we have filed in first week for february but i have not heard anything yet.

I am just wondering can we get married in mean time but also carry our file cause we don't want to waste any time.

Also can we convert K-1 to K-3 visa application if we decided to get marry before we get reply.

Thanks

Is there a reason you are in a hurried to get married? The K-1 visa allows you to travel to the States and get married. Any day now you will get your NO2 and from the there the process speeds up a bit. You will be starting over if you file the K-3 visa, and it could take up to a year to get it. Just hold on a bit longer.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.