Snag

Exchanging the Money.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Perhaps this isn't just Australian specific, so mods, feel free to recategorise as you see fit.

Does anyone know the best way to exchange foreign currency in the US without losing so much? We have a very large sum that my parents gave me as a wedding/birthday gift. It's in AUD. We originally thought we'd keep it for the next trip out to Australia, but considering that won't until the end of next year, and we could do with the extra cash right now (car died), we've decided we'd like to bank it.

The dollar was making up 93c USD to $1 AUD. We called our banking institution. They said their rate was 88c USD to $1 AUD. Plus they charged a $200 fee for just having to bother exchanging it. No, thanks. It may not seem that much of a difference, but it really all adds up.

So, now we're looking at other alternatives. Anyone been in this situation before? Anyone found a good solution without us losing so much?

Thank you.

If you open an account with a bank that has branches both in the U.S. and in Australia, can you move money between the two countries without an exchange fee?

For example, Citibank has branches in Australia. But I don't know if they will let you deposit money in AUD and withdraw it in USD without fees.

Regards,
Bill

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you open an account with a bank that has branches both in the U.S. and in Australia, can you move money between the two countries without an exchange fee?

For example, Citibank has branches in Australia. But I don't know if they will let you deposit money in AUD and withdraw it in USD without fees.

Regards,

Bill

Bill, you're a legend. I bank with St. George, and haven't been quite bothered to close my account. Perhaps I can negotiate with relatives and do an IOU if they can deposit the amount into my account and pay them back when they;re next out here (in four weeks). Of course, I'm speaking out loud. St George charges a $20 fee. Considerably less than $200.

Thanks for your input.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My fiance just did this. He wire transferred a large amount from his bank to mine. The rate was .88c as well, which had us upset. But after calling the bank, that is the going rate apparently. Sigh.

His bank, Commonwealth Bank, charged $22.00 for the fee.

Good luck!

K-1 Visa -  Date of arrival to US  Aug 30, 2014

Married September 26, 2014

AOS: SEPT 24th, 2015 GREEN CARD RECEIVED !! 

ROC:  Oct 10, 2018    Approval of ROC via online USCIS site.  

Naturalization: March 26th, 2021 Approved!!

As of 2022, we are working towards moving back to Australia likely in 2025. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Most international airports will exchange money without completely running you through. The more you exchange, the less the fees are.

Edited by d3adc0d3

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Look at trading on xe.com... Current rate is

1 USD=1.09 AUD

1 AUD= .92 USD (changes every minute)

No fee, takes a few days to process though.

Edited by Boston~Montreal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

www.ozforex.com.au

Bank to bank transfer. Great rates. More than $10,000 and there is no fees.

My AOS Journey

11/11/14 - POE

12/12/14 - Married

12/15/14 - AOS/EAD Submitted

12/22/14 - NOA 1

01/13/15 - Biometrics

03/20/15 - Notice Of Potential Interview Waiver Received - 6 Month Delay

09/21/15 - NPIW Expired

10/16/15 - Service Request 1 submitted - Local office past my case

10/17/15 - Service Request Response - Currently being adjudicated, No timeline. Please wait

10/19/15 - Contacted Local Congressman. Request Submitted

11/19/15 - Response from congressman. Currently being adjudicated. Please wait. No Timeline

11/27/15 - Letter from Local Field office requesting missing I-693.

12/21/15 - Infopass Appointment regarding notice - I-693 not required for K1 Visa. Officer stated he would request local officer to contact me

12/22/15 - 1 Year since NOA 1

12/29/15 - Had original K1 I-693 medical form transcribed by US panel doctor and submitted to USCIS.

01/06/16 - Service request 2 submitted

01/19/16 - Interview Appointment Received

02/09/16 - Interview - APPROVED

02/12/16 - 2 Year Green Card In Hand

12/26/17 - ROC Submitted

01/08/18 - ROC NOA1 Recieved

10/06/18 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

01/17/19 - Removal of Conditions - Approved

01/23/19 - Received 10 year Green Card.

My Citizenship Journey

12/06/18 - N400 Submitted

12/18/18 - N400 Biometrics Appointment Received

12/26/18 - Biometrics Complete - Expected completion Feb 2020 (13 Months)

04/28/19 - So far lots of USCIS "nothing has changed" bi weekly status update e-mails.

05/07/19 - Received notification that my N400 interview had been scheduled.

05/08/19 - N400 Interview letter was available to view online.

05/13/19 - Received physical copy of N400 interview letter in mail.

06/14/19 - N400 Interview Passed. Recommended for citizenship.

06/22/19 - N400 Approved

07/24/19 - Oath ceremony scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

My parents are with Westpac and apparently they exchange to cash for free with their partnership with AMEX. Just double check with your local branch.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.