decocker

The New York Times called Michael Brown "no angel." Here's how it described serial killers.

79 posts in this topic

only god can judge him.

I am actually a fan of Tupac. I just don't understand all the hoopla about describing young urban blacks, that emulate him and the lifestyle as Thugs. It's a term the coined and embraced.

Just because we think Michael Brown was a thug, does not mean we think all black youth are. any more than because I think my cousins son is stupid redneck, I think all whites are.

I think this racist popularized the term to describe young urban males, that subscribed to a anticancer lifestyle and dress.

No. Using Thug to describe a certain kind of black teenager.

There's no doubt the word thug and the term "thug life" was and is embraced by a percentage of the black population. I'm not sure why there is such an uproar when a white person refers to a black person who fits that image as a thug?

We already went over how Tupac has been dead for nearly 20 years. I think a lot has changed in 20 years, but I guess some are stuck in the past.

Let's talk about Rodney King and LA riots and racial tensions in LA in the '90s instead. And east coast v west coast? What other '90s issues can we dig up and conflate with now?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Just because we think Michael Brown was a thug, does not mean we think all black youth are. any more than because I think my cousins son is stupid redneck, I think all whites are.

of course not. and i'm not saying that. why in the world would i think such a complicated element of society would be such a simple association in your mind?

Filed: Timeline

There's no doubt the word thug and the term "thug life" was and is embraced by a percentage of the black population. I'm not sure why there is such an uproar when a white person refers to a black person who fits that image as a thug?

some people are always looking for something to be offended by.

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

We already went over how Tupac has been dead for nearly 20 years. I think a lot has changed in 20 years, but I guess some are stuck in the past.

Let's talk about Rodney King and LA riots and racial tensions in LA in the '90s instead. And east coast v west coast? What other '90s issues can we dig up and conflate with now?

And don't forget OJ Simpson's trial!!!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Because many use it to mean any black teenager, and all black teenagers are up to no good. Have you seen the crime statistics people like to bring up? That's to prove that all black people are up to no good. If you smoke pot once, you're a thug. If you listen to rap, you're a thug. If you wear a sweatshirt or Timberlands, you're a thug. See?

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Timeline

some people are always looking for something to be offended by.

you ever notice how the places white liberals celebrate are so darn lily white?

while the places conservatives celebrate are ethnically diverse?

feigning outrage at silly thing like this is how white liberals make themselves and each other feel better, help them not face that they are the real racists in america!!! :angry:

Everyone likes to complain about the weather, but no one does anything about it.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Because many use it to mean any black teenager, and all black teenagers are up to no good. Have you seen the crime statistics people like to bring up? That's to prove that all black people are up to no good. If you smoke pot once, you're a thug. If you listen to rap, you're a thug. If you wear a sweatshirt or Timberlands, you're a thug. See?

Those that use the word thug to describe any black teenager obviously have other problems, those people will never change. My point is about the percentage of the black population that do embrace this lifestyle. There are plenty of them out there. There are also plenty of wannabees out there too, they dress and act the part, but don't really do anything bad. It's human nature to want to categorize people into certain groups. I know plenty of people that refer to white kids as "punks" or 'white trash", no matter what they know about them as people, but more so their appearance. If a person doesn't want to be associated with a negative stigma, then it's that persons responsibility to do something to make sure it doesn't happen.

Those that use the word thug to describe any black teenager obviously have other problems, those people will never change. My point is about the percentage of the black population that do embrace this lifestyle. There are plenty of them out there. There are also plenty of wannabees out there too, they dress and act the part, but don't really do anything bad. It's human nature to want to categorize people into certain groups. I know plenty of people that refer to white kids as "punks" or 'white trash", no matter what they know about them as people, but more so their appearance. If a person doesn't want to be associated with a negative stigma, then it's that persons responsibility to do something to make sure it doesn't happen.

I know what you are saying, but teenagers brains are not fully formed, and their need to belong to something is strong. I think most teenagers are wannabes, and I don't think it's fair to tell them to act more grown up and get a life. Because they are just dumb kids. I think people are too quick to see adult actions in teenagers instead of seeing them as kids in nearly adult bodies.

My mom always tells the story that when her kids were little that she was a little afraid of teenagers. They walked in packs and were intimidating! Then once we were teens and she saw more of them, she realized that teenagers are just pitiful, with their braces and pimples and self-esteem problems. Then she felt sorry for them and loved them, trying to be grown up and cool, but just being so ridiculous.

So, as a teenager, is it cool to wear a tie and blazer to school? To join the chess club and mathletes? Just because a kid tries to dress in a "cool" way doesn't mean that they won't grow up to be productive members of society and laugh about the outfits they used to wear. But somehow if they are black and the outfits they choose are big sweatshirts then they are up to no good and deserve to be shot.

AOS for my husband

ROC: