Ahren & Edna

AOS interview too soon, we feel insufficient! HELP.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello VJ,

We recently received our notice to appear for the AOS interview in 2 weeks time. W e are adjusting from K1 and K2.

So we have been married for 4 months now. Our interview notice came just 2.5 months after the application, and i am grateful.

But looking at the requirements, we feel a little insufficient.

So we do not have the 'traditional' joint bank accounts, utility bills, car insurance etc under both names. I just received my EAD in the mail a few days ago and still looking for work. Husband has been taking care of all bills from his checking account, and i thank God for him. We were sort of waiting for when i can start working and then we can start sharing the bills. I have read here widely on the kind of questions asked at the interview and we feel that we have no problems with what we might be asked about our lives together. Its the 'other documents' that are giving us some gray areas.

This is a list of what we have, please review and advice on what we may do to certify the IO:

-Lease agreement (We added my name to this recently).

-Family medical cover (From his work)

-Family Y membership

-Pictures from everyday and trips we have taken together

-Mails from my daughters school (listing both of us as parents)

-Cards from each other on various occasions (and from family too)

-Future vacation trips booked and paid for the 3 of us.

Thanks in advance for taking your time to read and give your invaluable advise!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Go with what you have. USCIS realize that most new couples don't have a lot of marital union evidence. Save all of that evidence for the ROC process later. For our AOS interview, we followed the instructions given very literally, We took every shred of paper/evidence we had accumulated during our immigration journey thus far. I would suggest that you not attempt to reschedule your AOS appointment for later, there are numerous forum threads speaking about the issues associated with trying to re-schedule the appointment.

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Here's the thing, I did not have an interview, therefore they (USCIS) did not see or ask for all that stuff. Loads of people do not have an interview so do and produce all the joint things you mention. Go with what you have, bet it's fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hey,

Thank you very much for your responses. We had out interview today at the Houston office.

We decided to go with the little evidence of co-mingling that we had accumulated. Honestly, it was close to non at all and we had tried to get a joint credit card which did not come in the mail.

All in all, we went in time and were interviewed with a very kind lady. She asked me questions on the AOS form and i answered on the affirmative. Asked for our government issued IDs, when i last came into the country, if i had left the country since my last entry and our address.

After almost 10 minutes of conversation, she asked us to wait at the reception as she needed to review all our documentation once more. All this time, she never asked to see any evidence of co-mingling.

We waited another 30 minutes and she came back to let us know that she had approved our case for the 2 year conditional green card. That was easier than we expected!! :-).

Thanks guys for all your advise, much appreciated.

Ahren & Edna

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Congrats !!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Congrats!

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.