lostinblue

Obama bucks tradition, skips funeral highest-ranking officer killed in combat since Vietnam.

162 posts in this topic

I wholeheartedly agree 'Ex-Pat,' unfortunately it would be an insult to their sacrifice to have the circus show up.

Nothing I hated worse than a dog and pony show, of politicians trying to make hay by rubbing elbows with the military.

I will say this. I am not sure the CIC, not showing up for the funeral of a 2 star killed in action is a major news story.

Filed: Timeline

Its only disrespect because you don't agree with the idea that trying to rationalise noble service vs an unjust cause is a conversation that needs to had.

I wonder if your brother or sister had been killed in an "unjust cause" in service of your Country , would you argue your inane statement to infinity ? You and I would have been on the same book and page if you could, or would, understand....

If you think this is about race....browse this link to one of the most respected, humane and kind Generals I ever had the pleasure to serve. Note his comments on race

http://signal439.tripod.com/redcatcher199lib/brigade-commanders.html

BTW: I've seen you post subjects courageously...for that I admire about you

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wonder if your brother or sister had been killed in an "unjust cause" in service of your Country , would you argue your inane statement to infinity ? You and I would have been on the same book and page if you could, or would, understand....

If you think this is about race....browse this link to one of the most respected, humane and kind Generals I ever had the pleasure to serve. Note his comments on race

http://signal439.tripod.com/redcatcher199lib/brigade-commanders.html

BTW: I've seen you post subjects courageously...for that I admire about you

I just find it difficult to rationalise the idea that going to war in Iraq and Afghanistan amounted to serving one's country. I just don't believe that's true. Of course, that's not to say that military staff haven't done the best they could in a bad situation. Noone should have died because they had no business being there.

WW2 on the other hand, totally on board with that.

I just find it difficult to rationalise the idea that going to war in Iraq and Afghanistan amounted to serving one's country. I just don't believe that's true. Of course, that's not to say that military staff haven't done the best they could in a bad situation. Noone should have died because they had no business being there.

Service to ones country, does not come with the condition that you must support the cause. You raise your right hand swear to support and defend. Iraq, Afghanstian, Korea, Vietnam, and many other smaller conflicts. All that went served their country

Timeline

Service to ones country, does not come with the condition that you must support the cause. You raise your right hand swear to support and defend. Iraq, Afghanstian, Korea, Vietnam, and many other smaller conflicts. All that went served their country

I don't think you can argue that any of those conflicts were in the public interest.

I don't think you can argue that any of those conflicts were in the public interest.

I don't care if they were or not. The Men and Women that served in them served their country, when asked

Timeline

So when the military is hijacked in service of a dubious cause, like privatising a sovereign country's oil industry, that's not a conversation worth having?

Interesting.

I guess you're one of these funny people who doesn't vote.

So when the military is hijacked in service of a dubious cause, like privatising a sovereign country's oil industry, that's not a conversation worth having?

Interesting.

I guess you're one of these funny people who doesn't vote.

well yes it's a conversation worth having, but not the one we are having. The conversation is about soldiers that served their country, not on the politics of the war. Soldiers don't do politics, they just serve. A soldier in Iraq served just as honorably as a soldier n WW2. The politics of the war, is a complete different subject.

Filed: Timeline

Oy! Don't you know your own tragic British 20th century history in the Mid-East ? The English and the French carved up the Levant across Mid-East tribal borders in 1920 for their own strategic purposes (oil) after WWI.

See any news about Britain sticking there necks out militarily to save the people of Iraq from the ISIS ? No ? Are you a Nation of Chamberland's or Churchill's ?

I might also mention in the 19th Century Great Britain made the equivalent of 1 trillion dollars, in todays dollars, on the manufacture in India of opium and then declared war against the China because they objected to being a nation of addicts...almost forgot Brits in Afghanistan 19th century

Are you on board with this ?

Personally I don't think the two subjects can be separated.

You ever served in the Military ? My guess would be no

Timeline

Oy! Don't you know your own tragic British 20th century history in the Mid-East ? The English and the French carved up the Levant across Mid-East tribal borders in 1920 for their own strategic purposes (oil) after WWI.

See any news about Britain sticking there necks out militarily to save the people of Iraq from the ISIS ? No ? Are you a Nation of Chamberland's or Churchill's ?

I might also mention in the 19th Century Great Britain made the equivalent of 1 trillion dollars, in todays dollars, on the manufacture in India of opium and then declared war against the China because they objected to being a nation of addicts...almost forgot Brits in Afghanistan 19th century

Are you on board with this ?

Yes, I know my own country's history. Very well actually.

And no, I don't agree with it.

Timeline

You ever served in the Military ? My guess would be no

Your question (and guess) would be irrelevant.

My view is that soldiers are morally culpable for fighting in unjust wars. I think there should be some right to selective conscientious objection.

Edited by Hail Ming!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

This thread has been a real eye-opener. Trying to think of something to say that wont get me suspended.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Wonder what the protocol is for a 2 star. I am not sure that calls for a Presidential, but I would think Vice, First lady, or Sec of Def for sure

I don't know what the protocol is, but since he was the highest ranking officer killed in about 5 decades, the President going would have been appropriate as a matter of respect, IMO. I realize he can't go to every funeral, but I think he should have gone to this one.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015