Destiny Child

When and How to apply for SSN?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello VJ members

I will be shortly moving to USA on CR1 visa to North Carolina. Wanted to know what is the process to apply for SSN card.

Thanks in advance for pointers.

08 Aug 2013 - Case accepted at USCIS
22 Feb 2014 - case transferred at NVC (post clearance and acceptance at USCIS)
18 Apr 2014 - Paid AOS fees
29 Apr 2014 - Paid IV fees
05 May 2014 - Filled DS 260 form
03 Jun 2014 - Submitted AOS and IV documents
07 Jun 2014 - Acknowledge by telephone representative of AOS & IV documents received
08 Jul 2014 - Checklist from NVC, mentioning list of docs to be brought at Interview
10 Jul 2014 - Interview date confirmation on call
11 Jul 2014 - Received mail notification of Interview on 19 Aug 2014
13 Jul 2014 - Fingerprinting done at VAC Mumbai
11 Aug 2014 - Medical Exam at Rele Clinic Mumbai
19 Aug 2014 - Interview at Mumbai Consulate

~~moved to SSN subgroup from moving here and your new life so the OP can find the info they need. ~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Hello VJ members

I will be shortly moving to USA on CR1 visa to North Carolina. Wanted to know what is the process to apply for SSN card.

Thanks in advance for pointers.

You arrive in the US and wait assuming you ticked the box stating you wanted the SSA and DOS to share information to issue you a SSC on the DS-260 form you submitted at the interview. If after about 3-4 weeks you have yet to receive your SSC, take yourself with passport and Birth certificate (may or may not need this) to your local SSA office and apply. Show them the CR-1 visa stamped at the POE as this is your temporary green card (GC) or I-551.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You arrive in the US and wait assuming you ticked the box stating you wanted the SSA and DOS to share information to issue you a SSC on the DS-260 form you submitted at the interview. If after about 3-4 weeks you have yet to receive your SSC, take yourself with passport and Birth certificate (may or may not need this) to your local SSA office and apply. Show them the CR-1 visa stamped at the POE as this is your temporary green card (GC) or I-551.

Good luck,

Dave

Hi Dave,

we did this today (went in person to the SSA office) and they said they can't issue us the ssn?! POE was July 28th (more than 3 weeks now) and the lady at the office said we need to present the passport with visa and the i94? Unfortunately when we look online there is no i94 info listed?!

We had ticked the box that they should automatically do the ssn but since its been 3 weeks and nothing happened we went there and they have no record of hubby in any system and we are lost what to do next.

Thanks for any help or guidance!

Hi Dave,

we did this today (went in person to the SSA office) and they said they can't issue us the ssn?! POE was July 28th (more than 3 weeks now) and the lady at the office said we need to present the passport with visa and the i94? Unfortunately when we look online there is no i94 info listed?!

We had ticked the box that they should automatically do the ssn but since its been 3 weeks and nothing happened we went there and they have no record of hubby in any system and we are lost what to do next.

Hi!we have the same date of poe!still waiting for my ssc too.we dont have the i-94 as we are immigrants.I called uscis about it and was told that when you cant be found in their "save" system(something),ssa should submit form g-845 for you together with supporting docus like your passport stamp,visa and other docus.You can check what the form says online but we dont need the i-94.

Filed I-130 DCF: May 27, 2014 Here's what happened (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/498046-filed-dcf-today-5-27-2014/ )

I-130 Approved on:June 4,2014

Interview July 18, 2014 (Approved) You can read this ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/506247-interview/ )

Got the Visa Packet!! July 23,2014

POE: SEATTLE July 28,2014

--------------------------------------------

GREEN CARD AND SSC STATUS

August 25,2014 Went to SSA to see what's going on with my SSC- SAVE has my middle name together with my first name.

August 28,2014 ELIS went from ACCEPTED TO OPTIMIZED IN PROCESS (INITIAL REVIEW)

September 2 Called local ssa and was told SSC was mailed/Elis says Green CARD production has begun

September 4,2014-received ssc

September 8,2014- green card mailed/closed on elis

September 9,2014- green card received yahooo!!

---------------------------------------------------------

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Mailed Packet: 4/29/2016

NOA1: 5/2/2016

Bio Appt: 6/1/2016

Approval:2/13/2017

Received 10 year green card:2/17/2017

Hubby and i went to ssa last week but unfortunately,that office dont issue new ssns ans we have to travel a long way to apply for one.So ill probably wait until Monday before applying for one.Too frustrating as Ive been calling them since last week (uscis and ssa) lol

Filed I-130 DCF: May 27, 2014 Here's what happened (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/498046-filed-dcf-today-5-27-2014/ )

I-130 Approved on:June 4,2014

Interview July 18, 2014 (Approved) You can read this ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/506247-interview/ )

Got the Visa Packet!! July 23,2014

POE: SEATTLE July 28,2014

--------------------------------------------

GREEN CARD AND SSC STATUS

August 25,2014 Went to SSA to see what's going on with my SSC- SAVE has my middle name together with my first name.

August 28,2014 ELIS went from ACCEPTED TO OPTIMIZED IN PROCESS (INITIAL REVIEW)

September 2 Called local ssa and was told SSC was mailed/Elis says Green CARD production has begun

September 4,2014-received ssc

September 8,2014- green card mailed/closed on elis

September 9,2014- green card received yahooo!!

---------------------------------------------------------

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Mailed Packet: 4/29/2016

NOA1: 5/2/2016

Bio Appt: 6/1/2016

Approval:2/13/2017

Received 10 year green card:2/17/2017

Hi Dave,

You will not have an I-94 as you have an IR-1/CR-1 visa. The visa was stamped at the POE and the acts as a temporary I-551 or GC. You need to show that to the SSA worker and have them do a SAVE database look up I the VISA name. Since he is not listed according to the SSA, I would just take his passport, the visa with the stamp to show it is an I-551, and a birth certificate as secondary evidence of age and ID--may or may not need this but it is better to be prepared--and just apply for a SSN. Maybe you will get someone who knows what they are doing this time and it will go smoothly for you.

If you get the same lady, politely tell her that as a LPR with a temporary GC as indicated by the CR-1/IR-1 visa stamped by the CBP you would like to receive your GC. Ask for a supervisor. You could e-mail the main SSA office--include your phone number so they can call you back--and explain your situation and they may issue you an e-mail that will help train that worker.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.