aelix

Temporary health insurance for first month after we arrive in US?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all

We're flying out to the US in October and I've been trying to find temporary health insurance just to cover the family (2 adults, 2 kids) until we're able to get on a proper plan as residents (Michigan). I've seen others talk about getting added to a pre-existing employer's plan but my wife doesn't work and I don't have a job lined up yet.

I looked at travel insurance and it seemed like I could get a policy for emergencies but then at the final stage of signup it asked me to confirm that we would all be returning to Australia after our 'trip'. So that's not going to work.

Does anyone know of a good option? What did others do?

Thanks in advance...

I-130 sent: 06-May-13

I-130 NOA1: 13-May-13

I-130 approved: 01-Apr-14 [323 days]

I-864 fee paid: 01-Apr-14

IV fee paid: 07-Apr-14

I-864 submitted: 09-Apr-14

DS-260 submitted: 12-Apr-14

DS-260 docs sent: 28-Apr-14

I-864 checklist rec'd: 14-May-14

Case complete @ NVC: 24-Jun-14

Medical completed: 10-Aug-14

Interview date: 5-Aug-14

Visa & packet rec'd: 7-Aug-14

POE: 14-Oct-14

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You will need to sign up for Obamacare as soon as you arrive, varies by State so look up which exchange is relevant for you.

You will only have a limited time to sign up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

hit 'healthcare.gov'

then call the phone number listed there,

and talk with a human.

there are other options available...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Thanks for the replies. I do know that we need to sign up for a 'proper' plan but our research so far was suggesting that we couldn't do that until we were present in the US. My wife and kids are USCs so it seems like they should be able to sign up - my wife will phone as suggested. But how do I get coverage under an Obamacare plan when until I arrive I won't have anything apart from a visa in my passport? No SSN, no green card etc...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Thanks for the replies. I do know that we need to sign up for a 'proper' plan but our research so far was suggesting that we couldn't do that until we were present in the US. My wife and kids are USCs so it seems like they should be able to sign up - my wife will phone as suggested. But how do I get coverage under an Obamacare plan when until I arrive I won't have anything apart from a visa in my passport? No SSN, no green card etc...

You have to be resident in the State to apply, you can do the preliminary investigation now, but until you take up residency then as I understand it you can not do anything else.

When you enter you will become a LPR and be eligible.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

when a visa gets glued into the passport, study the line that contains the word 'endorsement' and learn what an I-551 document is.

And yes, most CR-1/IR-1 visa holders are successful in getting a SSN 3 to 4 weeks after arriving in the USA, getting into a SSA office and applying for the SSN.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

when a visa gets glued into the passport, study the line that contains the word 'endorsement' and learn what an I-551 document is.

And yes, most CR-1/IR-1 visa holders are successful in getting a SSN 3 to 4 weeks after arriving in the USA, getting into a SSA office and applying for the SSN.

Thanks, I do understand that on entry the endorsed visa will serve as a 'temporary green card'. But the issue I'm trying to resolve is how to insure myself and my family for literally the first few days/weeks that we are in the US, because if I don't get some form of coverage we could e.g. get in a car accident on the way home from the airport and end up with a $100,000 medical bill.

I called the Healthcare.gov hotline and the guy was fairly vague about whether my wife and kids (who are USCs) would be able to apply for a plan through the Marketplace before actually moving to the US. We think the answer is probably 'no' because they won't be able to demonstrate residence (no utility bills, no drivers licence etc). So I think we are going to have to get temporary insurance through a non-Obamacare provider just for immediate coverage, then sort out proper coverage after we get there.

Look for 'catastrophic' or 'new immigrant' health insurance plans, which will offer some basic coverage for emergencies. These are probably the best options until you can sign up for an employer provided plan, a marketplace plan or a private plan.

I-129F posted: 25/11/2013

NOA1: 9/12/2013

Alien Registration Number Changed: 10/12/2013

NOA2: 5/2/2014

Received at NVC: 19/02/2014

Left NVC: 24/02/2014

Received at Consulate: 10/03/2014

Received Packet 3: 10/03/2014

Consulate Interview: 8/04/2014

POE LAX: 2/07/2014

Married: 11/07/2014

AOS posted: 17/07/2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.