EVITACITA

Marriage visa Approved! What next for employment and drivers license in US

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, my husband and I were approved on 8/7 and he will be coming to US first week of September. Does anyone know about how long it will be before he can work in the US and since he has a drivers license in Dominican Republic if he can use it here in NYS, I tried searching dmv information but that has been useless. Wishing everyone the best

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

http://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/exchange-out-state-driver-license

Definition of Resident per Section 250 (5) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law: "As used in this section, the term 'resident' shall mean domiciliary, that is, one who lives in this state with the intention of making it a fixed and permanent abode. It shall be presumptive evidence that a person who maintains a place of abode in this state for a period of at least ninety days is a resident of this state."

To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of New York State. A police officer can use this as evidence to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in New York State without a NYS driver license or vehicle registration.

A judge considers the law and the evidence of your intent and decides if you are a resident of New York State. If you pay taxes or your children attend school in another state, a judge considers these facts to decide if your intent is to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" residence. According to this law, students from other states or from other nations who attend school in New York State are usually not considered residents of NYS. DMV does not decide if you are a resident of New York State, if you must get a NYS driver license, or if you must register your vehicle in New York State.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I was a rsident before, I study abroad there back in 2009, first he needs to get the ssn so that way he can get a drivers license, he can use his dominican license just for 3 months, so lets say while he gets all the stuff, he will need to do the test, back in 2009 I didnt know how to speak english haha so if he can take it in spanish too, about the job, he will be a resident so asfar asi know all u need is ur ssn congrats on getting ur visa, I still have a long freaking way to go :)

NOA1 I130 - March 20 2014 TSC
NOA2 I130 - August 20 TSC
Sent to NVC August 27 from TSC
Received - September 15
Case Number and IIN - September 17
AOS/IV FEE -Sept 17
PAID - Sept 17
Ds260 Complete- Sept 25
Package sent Sept 30
Scan Date Oct 2
Case Complete - November 25 :dancing:

Interview: January 28 APPROOOVEDDDD!!

Visa Issued: January 28

Finally Home (L) : Feb/7/2015

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Moving to the US & Your New Life In America forum; topic is about items post POE.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello everyone, my husband and I were approved on 8/7 and he will be coming to US first week of September. Does anyone know about how long it will be before he can work in the US and since he has a drivers license in Dominican Republic if he can use it here in NYS, I tried searching dmv information but that has been useless. Wishing everyone the best

He can use the Dominican Republic driver license initially until such time he gets a driver license from State of New York. He may even be able to skip the driving test because he has the Dominican Republic driver license but I am not 100% sure on that.

He should be able to start working but he will need social security number which takes a couple of weeks to obtain.

Service Center : Texas Service Center

I-130 Sent : 2013-10-18
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-10-24
I-130 Approved : 2014-06-26
NVC Received : 2014-07-08
Submit DS-261 : 2014-08-04
Received AOS Bill : 2014-08-06
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-08-07
Send AOS Package : 2014-08-13
Receive IV Bill : 2014-09-15
Paid IV Bill: 2014-09-17
Submit DS-260 : 2014-09-17
Send IV Packet : 2014-10-4
AOS Checklist : 2014-10-8
NVC Case Complete : 2014-11-21
Interview: 2015-01-06
POE: 2015-01-22 :dancing:

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats on your approval. Once your he is here in nyc wait 2 weeks then go to SS office he will get his card in a week. The actual green card came after a month. Once he has both or at least his SS card he can go to take written exam for the nys driving permit. He can drive here with the DR lic for a month or so I believe.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.