AllieLovesJake

Hi, I have a few questions.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm currently working on getting all the paperwork together to send my I-129F and supporting documents to Dallas Texas... its proving kind of hard.

Any help with the following would be amazing, :luv:

1. In the providing proof of having met, do the photos need to be timestamped? What if I can't really timestamp them? Also, do I need to provide more than photos and photocopies of boarding passes? If so, what else should i include?

2. This might be a stupid question, but does the payment of $340 need to be in check or can it be cashed?

3. Do I need to provide a copy of my Birth Certificate and my US Passport? Or is just my birth certificate fine. (My passport expired about a month ago.)

4. What types of things do I provide for the proof of ongoing relationship? Photos of my engagement ring?

5. Where in all of these supporting documents should I list skype or facebook chat logs, (if needed)

6. Does my fiance need to mail me all his copies of things that he had to sign (like the Letter of Intent to marry or the biographic information) Or is it okay to have him print them, sign them, and then scan them and send them back to me?

7. I saw someone mention on the forums that pages should be signed in blue ink. Is this true?

Thank you to anyone who helps me out and I'm sorry if any of the questions i've asked have been asked before or frequently lol, im really stressing over this. Don't want to waste so much money by making a simple mistake! <3 (L)(L)(L)(L)(L):goofy:

im so glad this website exists!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

1. No they dont have to be time stamped. You prove you have met by showing your passport pages showing you travelled there or they travelled here within the last two years...passport stamps plus photos are excellent evidence. Only a couple photos for the 129F. The photos are to do a basic initial proof of relationship, not to prove you met in the last 2 years...passport stamps, hotel bookings with both your names on them, concurrent boarding passes that seems good.

2. Do not send cash in the mail.

3. Both is best Im pretty sure. You should get a new passport it only takes a few days, but save scan of the old one as the stamps are important to prove travel. We didn't send any boarding passes.

4. Ring is good, engagement photos if you did that.....the main proof of relationship is at the consulate interview...the 129F is just for basic demonstration, you cant really prove a relationship on the 129F, just basic things, when you met and a few pictures and passports showing travel dates to the other country.

5. That would be for interview not USCIS 129F

6.I dont know but its better to have the originals....just have him overnight it, it only takes 3 days even from Asia.

7.Blue ink is good to show that its not a copy. I dont think its required but why not do it? Its easy.

I'm currently working on getting all the paperwork together to send my I-129F and supporting documents to Dallas Texas... its proving kind of hard.

1. In the providing proof of having met, do the photos need to be timestamped? What if I can't really timestamp them? Also, do I need to provide more than photos and photocopies of boarding passes? If so, what else should i include?

2. This might be a stupid question, but does the payment of $340 need to be in check or can it be cashed?

3. Do I need to provide a copy of my Birth Certificate and my US Passport? Or is just my birth certificate fine. (My passport expired about a month ago.)

4. What types of things do I provide for the proof of ongoing relationship? Photos of my engagement ring?

5. Where in all of these supporting documents should I list skype or facebook chat logs, (if needed)

6. Does my fiance need to mail me all his copies of things that he had to sign (like the Letter of Intent to marry or the biographic information) Or is it okay to have him print them, sign them, and then scan them and send them back to me?

7. I saw someone mention on the forums that pages should be signed in blue ink. Is this true?

Thank you to anyone who helps me out and I'm sorry if any of the questions i've asked have been asked before or frequently lol, im really stressing over this. Don't want to waste so much money by making a simple mistake! <3 (L)(L)(L)(L)(L):goofy:

If you were born here in the US or a USC by birth abroad, then a copy of only your birth cert/CRBA is fine since that proves your USC.

As mentioned above proof of having met is anything verifiable that can prove you've met within the last 2 years.

Anything that your fiance has to sign like the letter of intent and the g325a should be the originals, so you could email her the forms filled out and she could sign them and then UPS or FEDEX them to you.

As warned never send cash in the mail, use a money order or check.

As for the most important part, the relationship, anything that can prove your visits to her and of your relationship. You can send in things like copies of your visa stamps, hotel receipts, airline tickets/boarding passes, emails, call records, chats/im/texts, letters/cards, gifts, money transfers, care packages, photos of you two and also with her family and friends, and whatever else you can think of.

Too much is not too much. It's better to send binder of evidence than risk getting RFE'd for not sending enough proof.

Also, spell check (very important) you'd be surprised how many people misspell their own names lol and proof read and go over everything, forget about it and come back with a fresh mind and go over everything again. That will let you catch any mistakes or something you may have forgotten to include. Good luck!

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

No, photos dont need to be time stamped. Also photos are considered secondary evidence but if you have them then send a couple. You need documentation that you were in the same place at the same time.. so whoever travelled... a copy of passport stamps, boarding passes (both best evidence). If you both travelled to be together then copies of both sets of stamps and boarding passes.. if you dont have boarding passes its not the end of the world. Copy of hotel receipt, restaurant receipt etc. and yes a couple of photos if you have them.

Check is safer and if you send a personal check you will then know they have banked your check and your petition has been received and when it was received. You'll get notification as well but having been through a lost petition.. its good to have a back up for each step if possible.

You only neither either one or the other... so send a copy of your birth certificate but no harm in sending a copy of your passport as well.

Usually people send copies of emails.. photos of your engagement ring is fine.. copies of a letter or photo you might have received from your fiance/e etc. Just a few.. maybe 5 at most.. these are needed further on.. the initial petition really only needs the proof of having met within the past 2 years.

These are for later when you have to provide proof of ongoing relationship at interview stage.

6. Does my fiance need to mail me all his copies of things that he had to sign (like the Letter of Intent to marry or the biographic information) Or is it okay to have him print them, sign them, and then scan them and send them back to me? You need originals of these. Some people sign in blue ink to show they're original.. if its obviously an original (if you've already received them).. then they're ok.

as above.. the theory is that it shows its not a copy ..

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

#3... ooops "only need either"

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

1. Photos don't need to be time stamped, you can write the date and time on the back. Photos are only secondary evidence of meeting. Make sure you are also including copies of boarding passes, passport stamps, receipts, etc.

2: This link will show you how to pay your I-129F filing fee: http://www.uscis.gov/forms/paying-immigration-fees : Bank drafts, cashier's checks, certified checks, personal checks (See Check Instructions below), and money orders must be drawn on U.S. financial institutions and payable in U.S. funds. This means no cash.

3. A copy of both sides of your birth certificate is fine. You don't need to include your passport.

4. Proof of ongoing relationship can be chat logs, emails, cell phone logs, facebook messages, etc. Photos that you include for proof of meeting can simultaneously be used as your proof of relationship.

5. Skype and facebook chat logs should be included in a section that is your proof of relationship, at the end of your I-129F packet.

6. Your fiancé needs to send you originals of the G-325A and the letter of intent. He needs to mail them to you, as you need the original he signs...it cannot be scanned and emailed.

7. You can sign in blue or black ink, its fine.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just to add to the responses RE: point #3...in order for copies of your US passport to be accepted as proof of US citizenship, it must have at least five years of validity remaining. This is clearly spelled out in the I-129F instructions.

Just to add to the responses RE: point #3...in order for copies of your US passport to be accepted as proof of US citizenship, it must have at least five years of validity remaining. This is clearly spelled out in the I-129F instructions.

:no: The passport needs to have a validity period of at least 5 years: ie from issue date to expiration date. You do not need to have at least 5 years remaining before it expires.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Yes meaning that it can't be a temporary passport which are valid for less than 5 years. It has to be unexpired though when you submit the app.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

:no: The passport needs to have a validity period of at least 5 years: ie from issue date to expiration date. You do not need to have at least 5 years remaining before it expires.

I went back and re-read the instructions, and it looks like you're right. I guess they weren't as clear as I thought! Oops!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.