taivn

IR1 Visa Approved! but barely :P

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Lets skip to the ending. My wife got her visa but it was pretty intense. I'll describe in detail what happen.

We got there at 7:15 and the line wasn't too bad. They shuffled us through fairly quickly before making my wife wait in another line to get her fingerprints read. Afterwards they called us up to check our documents (medical reports, updated police report, etc.). What shocked me was they ask for my housing registration book and my wife's Vietnamese ID. None of those items were listed in the interview letter but that didn't seem to affect our interview.

I think we finished before 8 which didn't really matter because they didn't start interviewing people till after 9AM. Getting there really early didn't seem to matter much because the numbers aren't really called in order. There were roughly 5 case officers giving interviews with a translator next to them. I think in general it took 10-15 minutes to interview each person and they did it behind a glass. Feels like you're talking to a bank teller. Also, they gave out a ton of blue slips. It seemed most people forgot something or had errors on their application.

At around 10:30 they called my wife and I. The person interviewing us was a black lady. She asked me when did I arrived. When I told her I had been living and working here for 6 years, she was quite shocked. She started bombarding me with questions such as: Why did you stay here? Where do you work? When does your contract expire? These weren't bad but then she started hitting me with questions to verify my domicile. What have I done to establish domicile back in the U.S.? Do I have bank accounts, investments, property, etc. This was quite bazaar since I already submitted my evidence for domicile a long time ago. I submitted bank statements, brokerage account statements, voters registration card, copy of driver license and bills a long time ago. Good thing I brought extra copies to the interview. Even with all these paperwork, she still question my intent to go back to the U.S. She asked me,' what can you say right now to convince me that you will go back to the U.S. when your wife gets her visa?' I was thrown back at this. I told her my contract has expired, most my money is in the U.S., including my investments, and my wife is coming with me; Why would I stay? I couldn't believe she would question me like that.

Afterwards she sent me away while they interview my wife alone which they seemed to do with most people. She then ask my wife about how we met, how long have we been dating, etc. and asked to see our photos. When she finished, she gave my wife a blue slip saying that they didn't have our co-sponsors business license and 2013 tax forms/transcript. Apparently they lost the business license I sent them in May/June. I was able to show her the 2013 transcripts but had to leave. I called my sister and had her email me a copy of the business license then printed it out. I wasn't sure they would accept this at first but didn't want to wait 2-3 weeks to have her mail it to us. I made sure she scanned it in high resolution before I printed it out. We headed back there at 12:30, waited till 1 before they started taking people in again. We submitted a copy of the business license and was given a number. They told us to wait at window 18 and it seems like that was the only windowed open so the wait was intense. It wasn't until about 3PM before we got called up and again, all the numbers are pretty random. The guy just said remember to register to mail address online to have your visa delivered and that's all. I was amazed they accepted a printed copy and grateful.

Sorry for the long post, but thought I should include as much detail as possible. The lady that interviewed us didn't seem like a bad or mean person, but I felt her questions were unnecessary. Make sure you have backup copies of everything.

First off, congrats on the acceptance! :D

Second, I am so sorry for this kind of experience! :( Stuff like this gets my heart pumping!

The U.S. consulate in Auckland was about the same for my Husband and I when we had to get our son's CRBA. It is really inconvenient to have to travel in person to Auckland in the first place from where we lived as it is 7 hours drive away and our son was only 2 months at the time, we could not afford the insane price to fly there so I made sure to bring all paperwork with me to avoid leaving anything important behind!

When we arrived for our appointment we were the first one who busted through just after they opened for their next set of appointments.

I expected an interview for a CRBA as our appointment was at 1:30 but ended up behind a glass and handed our forms in with just my passport and my son's birth certificate and told to wait to be called. I guess I brought too much paperwork with me to prove my relationship to my Husband but they only handed it back ( Lady asked what all this was and shoved it back to us, haha). We waited a couple of hours while the waiting room filled with every other appointment until we were called and were just asked to check the forms over and sign.

This is the same place I expect to go to for the interview for my Husband, and for sure after reading your story I am definitely bringing as much relevant paperwork I can again regardless if it is overlooked. Before I read this and given my experience at our consulate, I was just going to bring the checklist recommended paperwork to avoid that whole awkward situation when getting the CRBA! :) I am hoping the interview goes better as I am sure maybe every process might be different in every other Country.

Thanks for sharing, it has really prepared me!

Timeline

Lets skip to the ending. My wife got her visa but it was pretty intense. I'll describe in detail what happen.

We got there at 7:15 and the line wasn't too bad. They shuffled us through fairly quickly before making my wife wait in another line to get her fingerprints read. Afterwards they called us up to check our documents (medical reports, updated police report, etc.). What shocked me was they ask for my housing registration book and my wife's Vietnamese ID. None of those items were listed in the interview letter but that didn't seem to affect our interview.

I think we finished before 8 which didn't really matter because they didn't start interviewing people till after 9AM. Getting there really early didn't seem to matter much because the numbers aren't really called in order. There were roughly 5 case officers giving interviews with a translator next to them. I think in general it took 10-15 minutes to interview each person and they did it behind a glass. Feels like you're talking to a bank teller. Also, they gave out a ton of blue slips. It seemed most people forgot something or had errors on their application.

At around 10:30 they called my wife and I. The person interviewing us was a black lady. She asked me when did I arrived. When I told her I had been living and working here for 6 years, she was quite shocked. She started bombarding me with questions such as: Why did you stay here? Where do you work? When does your contract expire? These weren't bad but then she started hitting me with questions to verify my domicile. What have I done to establish domicile back in the U.S.? Do I have bank accounts, investments, property, etc. This was quite bazaar since I already submitted my evidence for domicile a long time ago. I submitted bank statements, brokerage account statements, voters registration card, copy of driver license and bills a long time ago. Good thing I brought extra copies to the interview. Even with all these paperwork, she still question my intent to go back to the U.S. She asked me,' what can you say right now to convince me that you will go back to the U.S. when your wife gets her visa?' I was thrown back at this. I told her my contract has expired, most my money is in the U.S., including my investments, and my wife is coming with me; Why would I stay? I couldn't believe she would question me like that.

Afterwards she sent me away while they interview my wife alone which they seemed to do with most people. She then ask my wife about how we met, how long have we been dating, etc. and asked to see our photos. When she finished, she gave my wife a blue slip saying that they didn't have our co-sponsors business license and 2013 tax forms/transcript. Apparently they lost the business license I sent them in May/June. I was able to show her the 2013 transcripts but had to leave. I called my sister and had her email me a copy of the business license then printed it out. I wasn't sure they would accept this at first but didn't want to wait 2-3 weeks to have her mail it to us. I made sure she scanned it in high resolution before I printed it out. We headed back there at 12:30, waited till 1 before they started taking people in again. We submitted a copy of the business license and was given a number. They told us to wait at window 18 and it seems like that was the only windowed open so the wait was intense. It wasn't until about 3PM before we got called up and again, all the numbers are pretty random. The guy just said remember to register to mail address online to have your visa delivered and that's all. I was amazed they accepted a printed copy and grateful.

Sorry for the long post, but thought I should include as much detail as possible. The lady that interviewed us didn't seem like a bad or mean person, but I felt her questions were unnecessary. Make sure you have backup copies of everything.

Very good news, congrats! Although the interview letter doesn't say national card and household registration book, they do mention to bring on the Ho Chi Minh city consulate PDF. When you say error were you able to pick out which kind? I made a typo on the DS 260 for my wife's present address and was planning on correcting this at the interview. Instead of Huong I typed Thuong grrrr do you think this will be an issue and delay our case? Also, any advice my wife's interview is on 8/19!

Thanks!

Congratulation for both of you. This is weird that they asked your household registration book, but it is definitely they will ask your wife ID and household book ( # 5,and # 7 in the link below).

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/hochiminh/231771/PDFs/IV-APPOINTMENT-PACKAGE.pdf

Edited by Anonymous885

New Journey AOS:

My fiancee came to US on the 8th of March, 2014 under K-1 visa at Newark, NJ Airport for POE.

Applied Social Security Number on the 10 of March, 2014.

Married on the 13th of March, 2014.

Sent I-485, I-765, and I-131 on the 15th of March, 2014.

Received EAD on June 7, 2014.

Received Notice of Potential Interview Waiver on July 1, 2014 date 6/27

Contacted Ombudsman on 01/12/2015.

Ombudsman contacted USCIS on 02/20/2015.

Ombudsman sent a follow up to USCIS on 03/18/2015.

I-485 approved on 03/31/2015 ( we ordered your card).

Welcome notice was mailed on 04/01/2015.

Received Welcome Notice on 04/08/2015.

Card was mailed to me/picked up by USPS on 04/08/2015.

Received GC on 4/10/2015.

Prediction 04/08/2015

Timeline

Hey, congratulations! It seems they are trying to discourage people from Immigrating by making it insanely difficult to do. I wanted to bring back the paperwork later the same day they gave me the blue slip but I resisted haha, maybe I should have, but now I am waiting for papers from my Mom from the U.S. to turn in the "original signed" papers rather than the copies. I should have at least tried but no worries, we will be here for a few more months anyways due to the wife giving birth soon. Which opens another can of worms - the CRBA! Anyways, congratulations, I am happy to see a good ending! Or beginning!

Timeline

I think they will pick it up and correct it for you. If not, just let them know. Typos happen all the time; should be okay.

Very good news, congrats! Although the interview letter doesn't say national card and household registration book, they do mention to bring on the Ho Chi Minh city consulate PDF. When you say error were you able to pick out which kind? I made a typo on the DS 260 for my wife's present address and was planning on correcting this at the interview. Instead of Huong I typed Thuong grrrr do you think this will be an issue and delay our case? Also, any advice my wife's interview is on 8/19!

Thanks!

Congrats, taivn!

So I should just ignore the warning on the interview appointment letter telling us to be at the door no ealier than 20 mins before our interview time?

Filed: Timeline

Congratulations! We had the same CO. Not nearly as intense an interview, though. She didn't ask me many questions and didn't pay any attention to our pictures, etc.

Timeline

If you can get there 30 - 60 minutes, you should be okay. I really don't see a point in coming in much earlier than that. I think almost everyone was allowed in the door at 7AM then process and fingerprinted by around 8AM. Next we all just waited till after 9AM for interviews to start.

Congrats, taivn!

So I should just ignore the warning on the interview appointment letter telling us to be at the door no ealier than 20 mins before our interview time?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.