Henia

Travel to Israel and entry refusials in MENA

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Can anyone here tell me which MENA countries will not allow travelers to enter if their passports show any evidence of previous or expected travel to Israel. Or refer me to a link. And if anyone has had an issue with this or traveled to Israel and tried to enter into another MENA country. I am only wondering cos I would like to take a trip to Jerusalem sometime this year. Thanks alot.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Algeria, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Sudan, UAE and Yemen.

thats what ive heard at least. I know def syria and such will give you issues. and its not always being denied as being hassled.

you can get israel to stamp a seperate piece of paper. esp if youre coming from egypt or jordan that would work just fine. that way the stamp isnt in your passport

Feb 16, 2007 I-129F SENT

Feb 17, 2007 I-129F recieved by CSC

Feb 20, 2007 NOA 1

Feb 23, 2007 touch

Feb 26, 2007 NOA 1 recieved in mail

May 9, 2007 NOA2!!!!! we are on our way!

May 23, 2007 NVC finally sends on our case

June 12, 2007 Packet 3

July 27, 2007 Interview

AUG 14, 2007 APPROVED!

Oct 8, 2007 finally together again

Nov 2, 2007 Legally married

Nov 29, 2007 AOS paperwork sent

Dec 3, 2007 NOA for AOS and EAD

Dec 22, 2007 RFE

Jan 15, 2008 RFE returned

Jan 25, 2008 RFE recieved, last touch on AOS

Feb 22, 2008 EAD recieved

Mar 29, 2008 AP application sent... late but just in case

May 2008 AP approved!

Sept 5, 2008 AOS approved!

next dealing with UCIS June 2010

אני לדודי ודודי לי

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow I never knew this. I'm going to have to go google and read more about it!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

i only know because my grandfather worked in egypt in the 60s. the us government actually issued him two seperate passports. one for his work in MENA, and another for his time in israel

Feb 16, 2007 I-129F SENT

Feb 20, 2007 NOA 1

Feb 23, 2007 touch

June 12, 2007 Packet 3

July 27, 2007 Interview

AUG 14, 2007 APPROVED!

Dec 22, 2007 RFE

May 2008 AP approved!

אני לדודי ודודי לי

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

thats what ive heard at least. I know def syria and such will give you issues. and its not always being denied as being hassled.

you can get israel to stamp a seperate piece of paper. esp if youre coming from egypt or jordan that would work just fine. that way the stamp isnt in your passport

I think I read that Egypt is on that list as well. I dont' think they refuse entry per se but they definitely interrogate as to why you were there.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

ive never had any problems with egypt, though you might. just be honest. technically egypt is a friend of israels. ive known plenty of people who have walked that border. i havent been since the new border with gaza opened though, so maybe its changed

Feb 16, 2007 I-129F SENT

Feb 20, 2007 NOA 1

Feb 23, 2007 touch

June 12, 2007 Packet 3

July 27, 2007 Interview

AUG 14, 2007 APPROVED!

Dec 22, 2007 RFE

May 2008 AP approved!

אני לדודי ודודי לי

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

OP, I know you mentioned middle eastern countries but if you ever plan on going to Africa, Sudan will not allow you in if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport.

It’s not only at border crossings that you could request not have your passport stamped. If your flying into Ben Gurion (Tel Aviv) you can also request Israeli immigration officials not to stamp your passport, but to stamp you in and out on a separate piece of paper that you fill out when arriving at passport control.

I know def syria and such will give you issues. and its not always being denied as being hassled.

I know definitely Israel will also give you issues and will hassle foreigners visiting. They will stamp your passport "denied entry" at any land or border crossing if they suspect your traveling to the West Bank or Gaza. Oh wait, Gaza is a closed off to those wishing to visit.

Edited by me_4_musa

Palestine the world's largest open air prison

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Well.... this is partially true.

I'm not sure about Egypt, but coming from Jordan, this method will ONLY work if you cross at the King Hussein Bridge (near Jericho.) This is because the Jordanian government understands that most of these travelers are heading to the Palestinian West Bank.

Jordan WILL stamp your passport with an exit stamp at all other border crossings (the Sheikh Hussein crossing in the north, or the southern crossing at Wadi 'Araba.) The stamp gives the name of the border crossing, which makes it pretty darn obvious where you went -- even if the Israeli border check agrees not to stamp your passport with an Israeli entry stamp. Anyone looking at your passport and seeing those stamps will easily figure it out.

There is no guarantee that Israeli border control will *not* stamp your passport, although they will often honor requests from Americans or Europeans, if you ask. Sometimes they get into a routine though and forget your request, and you end up with the stamp anyway.

I think the countries that "officially" do not accept travelers with Israeli stamps in their passports is down to 6 -- Iran, Lebanon, Libya, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. (The others that you mentioned will not accept anyone who presents an Israeli passport; neither will Bangladesh, Brunei, Djibouti, Kuwait, Malaysia, Pakistan, and Somalia.) I'm not sure about Iraq these days.

And even with Israeli stamps or passports, it's possible for some people to obtain "official permission" from these governments in certain cases.

Henia -- I hope you decide to visit Jerusalem -- it's well worth the trip !

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

wildroze22: Thanks for the information. It seems my husband's country is on that list.

wife_of_mahmoud: I definately would like to visit Jersalem (later this year) with my husband. We are unable to decide on Jerusalem or Mecca (for omra). He says omra is much more important, but myself I would like to go to Jerusalem since I have always been fasinated by its history. And plus I would like to take my grandmother, to fillful one of her wishes. (and prehaps allow her to see how Muslims, Christians ans Jew live together...I hope in harmony... maybe she will change her mind about Arabes, Islams and Muslims :unsure: )

So what comes to mind now is many more questions... if anyone could care to reply. I would appreciate it.

1, Is Israel right now safe enough to travel?

2, My husband being MENA man, Algerien what is realistically the chances of him getting a visa to Israel? Is it even worth trying? I have NO plans to travel there without my husband.

3, If I am clearing going to Israel, to Jerusalem ( I would documented proves of course) as a tourist/pilgrim would this suffice the goverment (Algerie) for when I need to ask for another entry visa?

4, How do they track if you have traveled to Israeal... just the stamp in you passport or via computer systems? Reason I ask is, if I get another passport (cos it expires next year) could the visit still be proven/ cause me trouble to get an entry visa to Algerie (country of my husband)??

Sorry I think my question seemed abit bizarre... but I just donnot like to give myself added troubles needlessly. Again thank you all for replying.

Timeline

the only one i can answer is the first. im an american and my boyfriend is israeli, so i dont know about the others, only going out.

israel is safe. its like a lot of places in the world. there are simply places you do and dont go, and thats completly up to you.

technically the second intifada has been declared over. if youre talking about staying within jerusalem you should have no problem. i have been there before with both jews and non jews, and the only problem ive had recently in jerusalem was being turned away from the dome of the rock, but im a jew, and my christian friends were easily let in so im guessing thats not a problem.

Feb 16, 2007 I-129F SENT

Feb 20, 2007 NOA 1

Feb 23, 2007 touch

June 12, 2007 Packet 3

July 27, 2007 Interview

AUG 14, 2007 APPROVED!

Dec 22, 2007 RFE

May 2008 AP approved!

אני לדודי ודודי לי

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My sister (USC) had Israel stamp a separate piece of paper before she traveled from there to Syria some years ago. I think they gave her some hard looks in Israel when she asked for that, but they did it.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
the only one i can answer is the first. im an american and my boyfriend is israeli, so i dont know about the others, only going out.

israel is safe. its like a lot of places in the world. there are simply places you do and dont go, and thats completly up to you.

technically the second intifada has been declared over. if youre talking about staying within jerusalem you should have no problem. i have been there before with both jews and non jews, and the only problem ive had recently in jerusalem was being turned away from the dome of the rock, but im a jew, and my christian friends were easily let in so im guessing thats not a problem.

I would have to agree, we know many people that travel to the West Bank quite often and none have really had problems. They did have to go through check points but didn't have any other issues. My cousin lives in Nablus and he loves it there and is quite happy. When he was here this summer with his wife and daughter they strongly encouraged us to visit them during our next trip to Jordan, we just might. There are definitly hot spots but from what I have heard, they can be avoided.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

when i went to israel i asked for the stamp on a separate piece of paper. they asked me why and seemed offended .....but they did it. they understand.

also if you are coming from one of those countries be prepared to be grilled extensively and your bags checked with a fine toothed comb. i came from egypt to israel and they searched everything and asked me a million questions......

israel is a safe and beautiful country. go. :)........

Edited by abdounjen

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
wildroze22: Thanks for the information. It seems my husband's country is on that list.

wife_of_mahmoud: I definately would like to visit Jersalem (later this year) with my husband. We are unable to decide on Jerusalem or Mecca (for omra). He says omra is much more important, but myself I would like to go to Jerusalem since I have always been fasinated by its history. And plus I would like to take my grandmother, to fillful one of her wishes. (and prehaps allow her to see how Muslims, Christians ans Jew live together...I hope in harmony... maybe she will change her mind about Arabes, Islams and Muslims :unsure: )

So what comes to mind now is many more questions... if anyone could care to reply. I would appreciate it.

1, Is Israel right now safe enough to travel?

2, My husband being MENA man, Algerien what is realistically the chances of him getting a visa to Israel? Is it even worth trying? I have NO plans to travel there without my husband.

3, If I am clearing going to Israel, to Jerusalem ( I would documented proves of course) as a tourist/pilgrim would this suffice the goverment (Algerie) for when I need to ask for another entry visa?

4, How do they track if you have traveled to Israeal... just the stamp in you passport or via computer systems? Reason I ask is, if I get another passport (cos it expires next year) could the visit still be proven/ cause me trouble to get an entry visa to Algerie (country of my husband)??

Sorry I think my question seemed abit bizarre... but I just donnot like to give myself added troubles needlessly. Again thank you all for replying.

Henia --

#1. It is very safe to travel to Jerusalem -- it is a major tourist destination. You will encounter many security procedures (and yes, some of them are hassles) upon crossing the border or especially upon arriving at Ben Gurion airport, and still more as you travel in the West Bank and/or Israel. But it's definitely do-able. An American passport is very helpful in these situations.

Israel and the West Bank are very small places, and the distances are very short -- you can travel from Amman, Jordan to the border in less than 1 hour, and from the border to Jerusalem in an hour if the roads are open, which they usually are. The only part that takes a long time is actually getting through the border check, and through the other checkpoints throughout the West Bank.

I would suggest a few things just for common sense -- as JP mentioned, there are "hot spots" that can flare up. In general, stay off Egged buses (the Israeli line) and stick with Palestinian transit, stay out of places like bars and discos in Jerusalem or Israel, and especially stay away from the illegal settlements in the West Bank (some of these are adjacent to Jerusalem) -- don't go "sightseeing" there. Also, don't get real "chummy" with the occupation soldiers. People notice these things. Stay away from Hamas rallies. Stay away from International Solidarity Movement people. And it might be better to just stay away from Hebron (al Khalil) entirely. Follow these guidelines, and you should be perfectly safe.

#2. As for your husband being allowed to get a visa to Israel -- I am sorry to say, but this may be difficult or quite impossible. Many Arab/Muslim men (and quite a few women) are given a very hard time at the border and not permitted to enter. Older men with business ties are usually OK, but younger men are often denied. I have seen it many times. You might check with the Algerian consulate for specific information.

#3. I didn't understand your question -- do you mean will Algeria notice the Israeli stamp in your passport ? Yes, they definitely will notice. But it's *possible* (not guaranteed) to avoid the stamp if you enter and exit from Jordan at the King Hussein Bridge crossing (near Jericho.) Then your passport will show only that you visited Jordan.

If you present a passport with Algerian stamps to the Israeli border check, you will be subject to extensive interrogation. It's possible that you would be denied entry, although it will not be as hard for you as for an Algerian man. Do you have a "clean" passport you could use ? This would be better.

#4. Israeli border check keeps a record of your passport number, so they always know when/how many times you came there/how long you stayed, etc. But they don't automatically share this information with other countries. Algeria will not know you have traveled to Israel unless you show them a passport with an Israeli entry stamp, or an exit stamp from Jordan showing you used the northern or southern crossing into Israel.

But a new passport will definitely make this problem disappear ! It's a time-honored technique....

About the Dome of the Rock -- well, it's *usually* open to tourists. But the Israeli army will prevent visitors from entering the grounds on certain days, even stop foreign Muslims -- it depends on the army's reading of the "security" situation. Friday prayers, flare-ups in the conflict, unspecified "security reports," Palestinian anniversaries like Land Day or other dates in the Nakba, Jewish holy days -- all of these can affect whether or not the soldiers will allow you to enter. It took me a couple of different attempts to get in -- just be willing to keep trying.

Even if it's not possible for your husband to travel there, I think going with your grandmother is an excellent idea. I think she would enjoy it very much. It's really an opportunity you shouldn't miss.

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.