zibra0000

getting divorce and applying for citizenship

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Yeah she hit me more than one and last time i had enough and i called the police and they arrested her cuz they found marks on me from her nails all over my neck...so they arrested her for domestic violence ..but i did dropped charges and we got back togheter nd her case was dismiss but the judge did say if something happen it will be based on previuos incident...but she still the verbal and emotion abuse nonstop....

She is not right. Did she hit you?next time she hit you, call the police to get police report. Then you are free. I heard someone married USC , USC hit her, she called the police for police report, they just married 6 month, she divorce then get 10 year gc directly due to abuse. I think your wife love you, worry lose you, so she check you everything. You need to let her know if she continue abuse you. You will leave her alone.you already get 10 year gc no one can kick you out USA.let her know this. She might become better.my husband treat me better than before now.

The fact that she is a citizen and you are not, means nothing. Don't let her hold anything over you for that. She has no power over the situation. You need to do what is right for you and if leaving her and filing for divorce is it, then you need to do that. She is holding the power over you because you are letting her.

Dioxide is right, she abuse you , you allow it to happen. If you said no to her. She still can not kick you out of the country.be strong! If she love you, she will give you anything .she shouldn't threaten you to call imm office. When I and my hub fight, he always said get your gc and leave me alone. He said he will help me to be successful in every way. This the love! Look at your wife, that us so sad for you.

<p>06/20/14: N-400 mailed06/23/14: N-400 Delivered06/26/14: I-797 in the mail7/1/14: Fingerprint notification via text and email7/8/14: Fingerprint Letter In the mail7/22/14: Fingerprint Appointment Date7/11/14: Walk-in Fingerprints completed7/24/14: SMS and Email about in-line for interview8/18/2014 receive yellow letter dated8/89/8/2014 interview txt/email9/11/2014 receive interview letter10/14/2014 interview date<p>10/21/2014oath date

Yeah she hit me more than one and last time i had enough and i called the police and they arrested her cuz they found marks on me from her nails all over my neck...so they arrested her for domestic violence ..but i did dropped charges and we got back togheter nd her case was dismiss but the judge did say if something happen it will be based on previuos incident...but she still the verbal and emotion abuse nonstop....

So you don't need to worry about the immigration case anymore due to you have police report which she hit you.apply your citizenship , bring police report in interview,just in case your wife call the io. You are wining the case.

<p>06/20/14: N-400 mailed06/23/14: N-400 Delivered06/26/14: I-797 in the mail7/1/14: Fingerprint notification via text and email7/8/14: Fingerprint Letter In the mail7/22/14: Fingerprint Appointment Date7/11/14: Walk-in Fingerprints completed7/24/14: SMS and Email about in-line for interview8/18/2014 receive yellow letter dated8/89/8/2014 interview txt/email9/11/2014 receive interview letter10/14/2014 interview date<p>10/21/2014oath date

So you don't need to worry about the immigration case anymore due to you have police report which she hit you.apply your citizenship , bring police report in interview,just in case your wife call the io. You are wining the case.

You have to be careful for the divorce due too she is violence person. She might kill you if she is mad. If you want to divorce, you better don't want her find you and have attorney to talk to her, disappear from her life. I hate to said this. Wish everyone work out to have a happy life

Shes a maniac...does she have to sign or all i need is just fill out the paper and send them to the court and the court will make her sign them??..thank you soo much jenny you such a wonderfull heloer to me....

You have to be careful for the divorce due too she is violence person. She might kill you if she is mad. If you want to divorce, you better don't want her find you and have attorney to talk to her, disappear from her life. I hate to said this. Wish everyone work out to have a happy life

zibra0000, if you are a legal permanent resident and you have been for 5 years, you don't need your wife to apply for citizenship. She can tell you she will call USCIS (immigration) all she wants and will not make a difference. I can't believe that you a falling for those threats or that you are actually being abused. If this is your real situation, you need to move out, if someone is abusing you and you don't do anything about it, they might think you are OK with it and actually like it. She has absolutely no power over you or your legal status if in fact you have been an LPR for 5 years. If you apply for citizenship you need an address that she won't be able to intercept you correspondance from USCIS, you will need the actual appointment letters. You don't need her to become a US citizen and she can't get Joe Arpaio to come after you either.

Good luck to you...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Shes a maniac...does she have to sign or all i need is just fill out the paper and send them to the court and the court will make her sign them??..thank you soo much jenny you such a wonderfull heloer to me....

The court will deal with the situation if it is a contested divorce. You file the paperwork, she'll be served by a third party with it, then she either signs and agrees to the terms or there will be a court hearing about it. It depends a little on what state you live in.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Depending on your state you may be able to get divorced because of domestic violence, if not I think most states now a days allow no fault divorces. Meaning you can get divorced without really having to give the court an explanation. Since you have been an LPR for 5 years already, you clearly aren't a conditional resident so your immigration status cannot be affected in any way by getting divorced. All USCIS cares about is that the marriage was entered into good faith and not for immigration purposes, they do not care if you get divorced. As for the domestic violence and the threat to call immigration you may want to have proof that she is the abuser and not you, just in case. The reason I say this is because if for whatever reason she does or says something that makes them think you were the abuser, you may have a problem with the moral character part of the naturalization process. You are perfectly capable of naturalizing and getting divorced without any issue whatsoever, assuming you don't have other problems that would affect citizenship. Get police reports for the incidents and make sure they state her as the abuser and see if you could move out and get a restraining order against her, this way you have the upper hand. Also don't try to hit her back because I was watching a court tv show yesterday where the wife was the abuser and the husband defended himself and he was arrested after HE called the cops on her, it was ridiculous.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She is in charge of any fly enter the house...the finance everything..calling the back everyday to see if i spend a dollar somewhere and hell if i dnt give her good explanation....i wish if ive seperate account..i mentioned that one time having seperate account and she almost lost it on me...i mean im just hoping it wont be no delay on my proccess...cuz shes the us citizen nd im nt nd she knows that too...im realy sorry for you to hear all this im realy sorry..

You are only required to have one joint account to prove you have a marriage. If you work, you can certainly set up a direct deposit account with your own name at any bank. Go for it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm sorry about your situation! I just had my interview today and they handed me a brocure that might be relevant to you:

Its called "Information on the Legal Rights Available to Immigrant Victims of Domestic Violence in the united States and Facts about Immigrating on a Marriage-Based Visa"

and is available online here: http://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/information-legal-rights-available-immigrant-victims-domestic-violence-united-states-and-facts-about-immigrating-marriage-based-visa-fact-sheet

Thank you so much for your advice...but as you as immigrant comming different country not easy..and as immigrant people always give us the bad side automatically....eventhoug i been supporting her all this time....i think im gonna get over my fair nd get it done cuz its driving mr nutts i cant even have friend i cant even have my own money that im busting my butt for it....im really sorry for you to hear all this and thanks for all the support...

My friend get out and apply on your own.

have a good life.

one of my friend had almost same situation. he took divorce at 4th year marriage. waited for one more year and you can apply after 5year.

Thank you so much for the support..just a question if you dont mind ..did your friend face any hardnship getting his citizemshi due to his divorce??thank you so much

My friend get out and apply on your own.

have a good life.

one of my friend had almost same situation. he took divorce at 4th year marriage. waited for one more year and you can apply after 5year.

Thank you so much for your support thank you.....now im reading all those comment from all those wonderfull people here and i feel like i was living in the dark big time..

zibra0000, if you are a legal permanent resident and you have been for 5 years, you don't need your wife to apply for citizenship. She can tell you she will call USCIS (immigration) all she wants and will not make a difference. I can't believe that you a falling for those threats or that you are actually being abused. If this is your real situation, you need to move out, if someone is abusing you and you don't do anything about it, they might think you are OK with it and actually like it. She has absolutely no power over you or your legal status if in fact you have been an LPR for 5 years. If you apply for citizenship you need an address that she won't be able to intercept you correspondance from USCIS, you will need the actual appointment letters. You don't need her to become a US citizen and she can't get Joe Arpaio to come after you either.

Good luck to you...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

She knows she have upper hand bcuz shes the us citizen and me as permanent resident gotta suffer hmmm....is there any differnce if she divorce me or i divorce her??

She doesn't have the upper hand. At this point you do not need her to become a citizen nor do you need her regarding your status here. The only time she would have had the "upper-hand" would have been if you were filing for removal of conditions and yet again if you could prove that she is abusive, then it wouldn't be an issue. At this point, you really don't need her to validate anything because you are applying under the five year rule which allows you to file on your own. She cannot report you to immigration because you are a PR. Your status has been changed permanently and she has no bearing whatsoever on your presence here. Go ahead and file and check off the box that states you are filing based on your status as a PR for 5 years. All the best!

Edited by kcoyclay1

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.