Sunnymrut

DS-260 cancel or not?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Armenia
Timeline

Hi All, Please advise! I have filled and submitted DS-260 form for all of us, me, my husband and my son. Now We are thinking that my husband can join us later. What shall we do? Can we notify them about that to KCC after we receive our second IV, cos we are still thinking. Is there any need to ask KCC to cancel DG-260 for my husband?

Regards,

Hi All, Please advise! I have filled and submitted DS-260 form for all of us, me, my husband and my son. Now We are thinking that my husband can join us later. What shall we do? Can we notify them about that to KCC after we receive our second IV, cos we are still thinking. Is there any need to ask KCC to cancel DG-260 for my husband?

Regards,

Remind me of your case number please? Can you clarify also what you mean by join you later: do you mean (1) follow-to-join, which means he doesn't go with you initially but still gets a DV derivative visa before the end of the fiscal year and thus just has a later entry date or (2) that he doesn't get a DV visa at all but you petition for him after you get your green card - which will be much more expensive, a much longer wait, and will require you to show that you can afford to financially sponsor him?

No need to cancel I think in either case, but when you are more sure you may want to email KCC to let them know.

Edit: I am assuming that of course you are the primary applicant?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Yes, I am the selected one. I mean he can still be considered as a DV derivative, but will be interviewed for example next year before October, of course. The case number is EU between 6000 and 7000.

Ok, well once you have made up your mind just let KCC know and I would suggest, also ask them exactly how to do a follow to join. Not many people do it so I think most of us don't know, for example, how the FTJ derivative appointment gets scheduled, whether that person has to contact KCC or the embassy separately to do it, etc.

Filed: Timeline

Not that you asked for opinions, but I would urge you to consider this carefully. Unless you are planning for him to travel more than 6 months after you do, it might be better for all to be interviewed at the same time, and he just delays the use of his visa. He can always travel alone after the principal applicant (you) has entered the US during the validity of the visa- usually six months from the date of the medical exam. If you do the medical just before the interview, that gives him almost six full months to use the visa. As it gets later in the DV year, you can never be assured that there will be an interview appointment available or that there won't be some administrative processing that would delay the visa actually being issued. If the visa isn't printed and in the passport prior to Sept. 30, there is no DV and you would have to petition for him separately -- which, as others have pointed out -- will require more fees and a much longer wait (likely several years).

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

If it were me, I'd interview at the same time. Once he activates the visa, he can return home to clear up loose ends etc. You get a year to return without a re-entry permit. If we are lucky enough to get a Green Card, we will enter for a vacation and then come home to sell the house and other assets.

If this is more a case of him wanting to use the Green Card as a souped up tourist visa which he can use to come and go as he pleases periodically, he may lose it eventually anyway as he isn't showing intent to make the US his home.

Edited by EmilyW

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.