Jane2014

medical insurance

14 posts in this topic

Hi!

Looking for some advice on American health insurance. I am due to move out to America at the beginning of September but we are not getting married until mid October. Which means I will not be able to get on his insurance plan for the first couple of months I am there. So I need to get my own health insurance? What is a good company to use?

Thanks for any advice given!

Jane

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can be added to his policy as soon as you are married. Marriage is considered a Qualifying Life Event which allows for enrollment of additional members to a policy outside of the open enrollment window provided the enrollment paperwork submitted within a specified window following the date of the event (usually 30 days).

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are no good options other than bringing your wedding forward.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We purchased a travel insurance policy from International Medical Group through Patriot America. Cost for ~50-days of $100,000 coverage $500 deductible without repariation cost $150. Important to have here as 'full' price medical treatment for even a minor problem can run up an astounding bill.

Confirm and reconfirm with HR what they need to add a spouse e.g. a certified copy of the marriage certificate (some jurisdictions take a while to issue this) and by what date they need it to add the following month. Construct a timeline and purchase insurance to cover the gap.

If you are entering without any doubt give some consieration to having a courthouse wedding, getting a same day certificate and filing AoS the next day - this is what we did three weeks after arrival and got EAD in 75 days and greencard in 90 days. You can still have your planned ceremony and celebration and after your honeymoon you can start looking for a job or educational opportunities.

Steve and Gob

There are no good options with american life insurance period, mines going to cost $500 / month and then there are still deductibles, co pays and co insurance, it's a racket. Hers is already $500 /month so that's $1000 / month between us!!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

500 a MONTH? That's seems excessive..

It's not. Some families pay over a $1000 a month.

The US does not have a national health system like the UK.

We pay for health care on our own. Those with less get subsidies under Obamacare.

As a K-1 visa holder, you are a nonimmigrant, so look into traveler's insurance.

It's not. Some families pay over a $1000 a month.

The US does not have a national health system like the UK.

We pay for health care on our own. Those with less get subsidies under Obamacare.

As a K-1 visa holder, you are a nonimmigrant, so look into traveler's insurance.

I have travelers insurance already lined up. I'm confused now as to how medical insurance will work for me when i move over in 3 week time.. Will i not be able to get medical insurance then?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I have travelers insurance already lined up. I'm confused now as to how medical insurance will work for me when i move over in 3 week time.. Will i not be able to get medical insurance then?

Have your fiancee contact a few insurance company to inquire. As a nonimmigrant K-1 visa holder, you may end up with a residency requirement.

If you are super concern, get a court house marriage on the day you arrive and get under your spouse's work insurance.

I had short term medical insurance for me and my two kids, it was about $178 a month. You have to sign up for 6 mths though, and they'll continue to take the monthly payment so you have to remember to cancel it as soon as you get married. This is what we had, we never had to use it however.

http://www.thinkihc.com/products/securestm.html

Edited by Kiwinyc

OP - do a search online for immigrant healthcare insurance and you'll find any number of policies. I got one on a recurring monthly cycle which covered me until I got covered by my wife's.

Do not rely on UK traveller health insurance unless you have it in writing that it will cover your situation when you get here. You're not going on holiday - you're emigrating. You really don't want to find out you're not covered if you get a big bill and they're usually big bills.

Richard

event.png

event.png

I would check with the health exchange of the state you are moving to. In New York State, some of the qualifying life events to enroll in new health insurance through the state-sponsored exchange are:

• Becoming a citizen, national, or lawfully present individual
  • Permanent move to NY, or permanent move from one county to another within NY

I would think that one of these might qualify someone immigrating, as soon as they move here, though there may be residency duration requirements, as someone else stated.

Thank you so much for all the responses! I am slightly confused though, if i were to get travel insurance for a couple of months, or backpackers insurance or something and i was to end up needing hospital treatment how would they know about the visa that i was on and that i was immigrating there?? I have looked into a few immigration insurances but they have really bad reviews?

Thanks Jane

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Apart from the fraud aspect.

If you had something minor, paid on your CC, got a claim form, sent it in then probably they would just send a cheque to your UK address.

Something major, you call them, they have people who will contact the medical team, asses your situation, see what needs to be done so you can get back to the UK. Might even be Air Ambulance in extreme cases, that would be cheaper than a prolonged stay in a US Hospital.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.