siliconeslinger

2 years of qualifying work experience?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

So my wife is the principal applicant but unfortunately she didn't finish high school (got dropped out on 11th),nor did she go to college due to money problems.. I on the other hand did attend both high school and university (but that doesn't matter does it)

But she does have a qualifying occupation which requires at least 2 years of training (job zone four, svp 7)...she has been working there from November 27th,2012

I've submitted the ds-260 form for both my kids and me, but still hesitant as far as my wife is concerned.. Gotta ensure everything is correct

Is she qualified? Will we our application get turned down because she didn't finish high school? Thanks!

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

She was supposed to be qualified at the time she submitted her DV Entry and it appears she wasn't. However the work experience needs to be 2 years out of the previous 5. Did she work at the same role with a different company prior to this?

You need to look closely at this and make your case as solid as possible.

You've probably read the FAQ:
6. What occupations qualify for the DV program?
The U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) O*Net OnLine database will be used to determine qualifying work
experience. The O*Net Online Database groups job experience into five “job zones.” While many occupations
are listed on the DOL Website, not all occupations qualify for the DV Program. To qualify for a DV on the basis
of your work experience, you must have, within the past five years, two years of experience in an occupation
that is designated as Job Zone 4 or 5, classified in a Specific Vocational Preparation (SVP) range of 7.0 or
higher.
7. How can I find the qualifying DV occupations in the Department of Labor’s O*Net OnLine
database?
When you are in O*Net OnLine, follow these steps to find out if your occupation qualifies:
1. Under "Find Occupations" select "Job Family" from the pull down;
2. Browse by “Job Family”, make your selection, and click "GO";
3. Click on the link for your specific occupation.
4. Select the tab “Job Zone” to find the designated Job Zone number and Specific Vocational Preparation
(SVP) rating range.
As an example, select Aerospace Engineers. At the bottom of the Summary Report for Aerospace Engineers,
under the Job Zone section, you will find the designated Job Zone

I'm not sure she needs to be qualified at the time of entry - gulkan do you have a link to that? I am sure for example I have seen reports of people who were still in high school when they entered, had the diploma by time of interview so were fine.

The bigger issue here obviously is how many years' experience. It is not even two years yet and it will all have to be at the required level. Moreover they will have to be able to prove this, I understand you can't just say "she was ABC manager" but there needs to be some proof that the actual scope of the job meets the requirements under o-net.

If she cannot prove to the CO's satisfaction that she has the required work experience then yes the application will be turned down in the absence of a high school diploma.

Timeline

Back then when i submitted her application i thought she had her diploma... Turned out she didnt.. Well then, is she qualified now? I already checked her occupation at the o*net website and yes her occupation does qualify... It may seem weird given that she didn't finish her high school.

What do you say? My case number is AS00013XXX,therefore i won't be getting my interview this year... Probably around mid june next year at the earliest.. By then she will have been working for 2 and a half years..

Timeline

I'm not sure she needs to be qualified at the time of entry - gulkan do you have a link to that? I am sure for example I have seen reports of people who were still in high school when they entered, had the diploma by time of interview so were fine.

The bigger issue here obviously is how many years' experience. It is not even two years yet and it will all have to be at the required level. Moreover they will have to be able to prove this, I understand you can't just say "she was ABC manager" but there needs to be some proof that the actual scope of the job meets the requirements under o-net.

If she cannot prove to the CO's satisfaction that she has the required work experience then yes the application will be turned down in the absence of a high school diploma.

I know this.. This really isn't a problem for her, she can just ask for a proof of employment letter from her boss.. I checked her occupation at the o-net website twice and it did say "job zone four, svp 7)

I know this.. This really isn't a problem for her, she can just ask for a proof of employment letter from her boss.. I checked her occupation at the o-net website twice and it did say "job zone four, svp 7)

She needs more than a "proof of employment" letter. She needs something that details what she actually does in her job so they can match it up with what the requirements are on o-net. (This is necessary because different companies can call people in completely different jobs the same thing, so ensure this "proof of employment" is detailed as to what her actual job duties/function is). A few of the embassy websites I have seen specifically say that it is rare for people to qualify on work experience - of course it does happen - but the fact that they say it is rare seems to imply that the burden of proof will be on you to show you meet it. So make sure you have all the evidence you can find to show that she does meet it.

Timeline

She needs more than a "proof of employment" letter. She needs something that details what she actually does in her job so they can match it up with what the requirements are on o-net. (This is necessary because different companies can call people in completely different jobs the same thing, so ensure this "proof of employment" is detailed as to what her actual job duties/function is). A few of the embassy websites I have seen specifically say that it is rare for people to qualify on work experience - of course it does happen - but the fact that they say it is rare seems to imply that the burden of proof will be on you to show you meet it. So make sure you have all the evidence you can find to show that she does meet it.

My wife is an insurance sales agent, here's the o*net link

Onetonline.org/link/summary/41-3021.00

The task written on that page is exactly the same as what my wife's job requires her to do.. "to sell life, casualty property..... Insurance"

What do you think?

tbh I'm surprised it's job zone 4 but it is classified there and within the right SVP range for eligibility... as long as her work meets the list of tasks, and she can prove that, she should be ok.

Timeline

tbh I'm surprised it's job zone 4 but it is classified there and within the right SVP range for eligibility... as long as her work meets the list of tasks, and she can prove that, she should be ok.

Me too, I thought it was like 2/3,well.i hope every goes without a hitch... Maybe she can ask her boss to include her duties on the proof of employment paper so that they can match it up with the o*net data..

Many times they ask a single question on the skill set needed. If she fails the question then no visa. No refund of fees.

Say what? Can't comprehend dude lol

Filed: Timeline

Is this for this year's DV program (i.e., visa must be issued prior to Sept. 30, 2014) or are you preparing for next years? As another poster pointed out, if it is the year's program, your wife's current job will not qualify her, as she has not worked there for two years (the two years would be through Nov. 2014). Did she work somewhere else prior to this? Or is it for next year's program (i.e., visa needs to be issued prior to Sept. 30, 2015)?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

During her interview they may go to their data base of questions for people that claim to be wokr as a X they will get a single question ( and the correct answer ) and give that question to your wife. If she produces the correct answer then you get the visa. If not then its over. These are complex questions. ( like calculating the cash value of an value of a whole life policy that was taken out Y months ago with an initial value of Z and a rate of Q ( using real numbers of course )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Timeline

If she does not have two years of experience or the high school diploma at her interview, her application would be null and void (failure to meet the qualifying standards)....she would need far more than a letter from some manager starting she has been on the job for the requisite amount of time....much more....but if at her interview her qualifications don't meet the requirements, there is no time given to 'catch up' to those qualifying standards.

Timeline

Is this for this year's DV program (i.e., visa must be issued prior to Sept. 30, 2014) or are you preparing for next years? As another poster pointed out, if it is the year's program, your wife's current job will not qualify her, as she has not worked there for two years (the two years would be through Nov. 2014). Did she work somewhere else prior to this? Or is it for next year's program (i.e., visa needs to be issued prior to Sept. 30, 2015)?

It's for the fiscal year of 2015, my cn is quite high, 13,xxx,Iv most likely around this time next year, by then my wife will have been working there for 2 and a half years (more than enough to meet the qualification)

Edited by siliconeslinger

Timeline

If she does not have two years of experience or the high school diploma at her interview, her application would be null and void (failure to meet the qualifying standards)....she would need far more than a letter from some manager starting she has been on the job for the requisite amount of time....much more....but if at her interview her qualifications don't meet the requirements, there is no time given to 'catch up' to those qualifying standards.

What do you mean by "much more"? I don't get it... As long as she can prove that she does indeed work there and her duties meet the requirements at the o*net website, what else would they ask? It's not like she's covering something up..if they want to go as far to meet her boss sure go ahead but i don't think they'll bother going that far as she isn't special..

Edited by siliconeslinger

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.