chrisdean678

I-130 and Green Card

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi,

My wife and I were married in the USA, I am a US born citizen, she's a mexican citizen, and we returned to Mexico for 3 months and then I returned to Alabama and filed the I-130 so she can come back to USA later, she stayed in Mexico. She has had a B1B2 tourist visa for many years. Should I have applied for the I-130 or should I have filed for the green card? What is the difference? Did I file the right thing? Also what is the next step after filing the I-130? She supposedly has to go to Cuidad Juarez and I don't know if she should go alone. How many days will she have to stay there in Juarez? What papers should she complete before she goes to Cuidad Juarez? How long should she expect to wait in Juarez for the I-130 approval?

I just don't understand why I was told to do the I-130 when everyone else seems to go straight for green card, and they don't have to wait so long or be seperated from their husband. We are seperated now, afraid and unsure of whether she can come to USA soon. I was told by USCIS on the phone that she can come to the USA on her tourist visa and fill out like 8 different forms and just stay here and switch from tourist to permanent resident.

I think people on these forums are overly cautious and I am starting to think it is best just to break the rules, that it makes things quicker. I have seen several people, illegals get green cards in a month, and the immigration policy now seems to be if your inside the country it is much easier to get all your paperwork done. What do you think, I'm looking for more of a philosophical answer as well as sort of a which paperwork serves for my purposes answer, my purpose is to get my wife to my country and have her be able to work. To put all of the paperwork and expensive lawyers behind me. And to get her citizenship.

thank you so much if you happen to be a lawyer or went through a similar experience and can help, thanks a million, i love her so much!

You have a lot more reading to do. You sound very confused. She gets her green card once the I-130 has been approved. Your I-130 petition goes to USCIS first, stays there for a very long time once approved it's sent to NVC. Stays there for a few months and then finally sent to her consulate in Mexico for the interview. Each step you will need to study the guides. They're very thorough and can answer any questions you will have. You can go with her to her interview if you wish.

As for the rest of your post, you're leaning towards visa fraud. Good luck getting help with that

Edited by li_09

05-19-2012 - Met in Seoul, Korea

03-30-2013 - Married in Washington State

USCIS

01-03-2014 - I-130 Package sent to Chicago lockbox

01-10-2014 - NOA1. Case sent to Texas Service Center

01-14-2014 - Expedite requested due to military deployment

02-04-2014 - NOA2 (Expedite approved)

02-28-2014 - Case shipped to NVC

NVC

03-11-2014 - NVC received case

04-10-2014 - NVC case number assigned

04-15-2014 - DS-261 completed online

04-15-2014 - Expedite requested

04-28-2014 - Case forwarded to consulate (Expedite approved)

Consulate

05-30-2014 - Medical

06-12-2014 - Interview

06-20-2014 - Visa in hand

09-21-2014 - POE (San Francisco)

I understand what you going through,but if you are not sure what to do, talk to a lawyer. But in order to bring your wife legally to the States, you will need to file Form I-130. This form is the petition. In my case, my wife and I decided to get married here in the States and submit the paperwork while she is here. She came over with a visitor visa. I recently sent the paperwork (I-130, I-485, I-765) along with supporting documentation to the Chicago lockbox. I did this without a lawyer and so far my forms have been accepted. I am currently waiting on the official letter for fingerprint and photo. After this, we should be on our way for the interview. Good luck but inform yourself before doing anything; otherwise, you may cause a much longer/permanent separation with your spouse. If you need more information resources, check out NOLO.COM. It's a great source of information.

You can't go wrong following the guides here and asking questions, or for hiring a lawyer with a great reputation, if you don't think you can do it yourself. Unless there are things you're not revealing here, IMO you would be a fool to try and scam the USCIS and risk fines, prosecution, and your loved one never being allowed to live here legally. It sounds like you have a straight path to doing this the right way.

I think you're also misinformed about how it would be so easy to make this happen illegally, but I wouldn't know. You'd have to google that elsewhere. Such folly.

Here, a great many awesome people help each other do this legally, and that has many benefits I don't even have time to go into.

Edited by AtariBaby

12/24/2010 I proposed. She accepted and stayed.

02/25/2011 Married!

03/19/2012 FINALLY submitted the AOS paperwork: I-130, I-485, I-765, etc.

03/23/2012 Received notification that USCIS has received everything.

03/26/2012 Biometrics Appointment Notice: April 23, 2012.

04/02/2012 NOA's received. Now we wait...

04/23/2012 Biometrics completed.

05/18/2012 EAD card mailed but not yet received.

06/06/2012 Rough interview but we think we're approved! Website says i485 status "Card Production".

06/12/2012 We received the "Welcome the United States" letters! Website says Green Card was mailed.

LIMBO: Green card lost in mail. Facing the possibility of paying hundreds in fees and basically repeating the entire process.

All good now! USPS lost it, then found it.

04/24/14 Back to VJ to get help with I-751, Removal of Conditions.

05/31/14 Mailed I-751 finally, with less than a week to deadline!

06/02/14 NOA1 (that was fast!)

07/01/14 Biometrics

7/25/14 Approved for Removal of Conditions

If your wife is found to have intent to immigrate by the CBP she will be denied entry, doesn't matter if she has a visitor visa or not. At that point they'd cancel her visa. She can come and visit you but she may need to show proof of her ties to Mexico to satisfy the CBP that she will not be attempting to stay.

If she lies and is found out, that is misrepresentation and she will be deported and banned for life.

Since you've posted on here, I will warn you to read the TOS. What you've suggested is illegal and against the TOS.

Everything starts with the I-130. You are on the right path but you need to have some patience.

Please start by reading the guides and wikis. They are here to help you. Here is one to start with along with a flow chart so you'll understand the steps better:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/EZGuideSpouse

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9bvTEwLyHz1aW0yTWRqa3lqYzA/edit

If you feel very overwhelmed then certainly find a GOOD lawyer to help you. One that has excellent referrals, and knows the process completely. They will not be cheap.

The path to citizenship is significantly longer than the path to permanent residence. It will take 3 years of both being married to you, the petitioner, and being an LPR (legal permanent resident) to apply for citizenship. At 5 years of being an LPR she doesn't need to send any relationship proof.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Thread closed to additional discussion per the provision of the TOS noted below. If you have questions about the process itself, you can start a new thread.***

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

• Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.
Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.