doubtingstef

Security Checkpoint Rules?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi. I'm going to my Oath Ceremony soon. Yay! Another THREE DAY journy by bus and foot. With kids. A year's worth of savings. All for a 5 minute event to get a piece of paper! I don't want to sound ungrateful. But America should really not make it so hard. They should just mail it to you, or do the oath on webcam. Ugh!

OK. So does anyone know wha the security rules are? Last time we got in big trouble for having umbrullahs, a spare cell phone battery, and the worst....google maps! We were intorogated. I thought we were going to be arrested! So we want to be prepared. I called USCIS. It was about 30 minute wait. The lady was nice and said that the rules are on the appointment letter. But they are not!!! So I escalated to an Immigration Officer. He was mean, and said that USCIS is not in charge of security and could tell me no more. He said "bye" and hung up on me! Luckily we read the name of the security ompany. Inter-Con. We contacted them. We were transferred 8 times. EIGHT TIMES. Everyone was rude. The final person was threatening and wanted our names, birthdates, SSNs and address. I refused! I said it was basic information! It should be on their site. They said they never heard of the SSA nor the USCIS and wondered what I meant by being a "customer" at these places. They said "I'm not gonna tell you nuthin!" and hung up! I read the USCIS and DHS websites. Nothing there. Inter-Con website. Nothing there.

So what are the rules for the security checkpoints at USCIS? OK. Do not bring cell phones with you. On a 500+ mile trip. No umbrullahs on a 20 mile hike with children and a newborn. Google maps? Terrorist material. Got it. What else can we get busted for? Breast milk? Diapers? Food? Purfume? Is there a link anywhere? Also, why does security have to read all of your paperwork anyway? I mean, why should they have access to your SSN, birth dates, address, etc. Just doesn't seem right. One last thing, I was told on here that some states allow naturalized citizens to get US Passports? Is there a list of which states allow this? I would love a US passport.

PS-Please don't troll here! Thanks for honest and helpful answers.

PPS-What's with needing a drivers liscence to get a passport. I never understood that. I am not driving over the ocean.

Edited by doubtingstef

Ok.....maybe a 3 day journey just for a "piece of paper"......

But that piece of paper means you'll never have to deal with USCIS ever again!

Worth it?? I think so!!!

Old and Grumpy....But an American Citizen!!!

Timeline

Ok.....maybe a 3 day journey just for a "piece of paper"......

But that piece of paper means you'll never have to deal with USCIS ever again!

Worth it?? I think so!!!

Unless I need to replace it. Naturalized citizens will ALWAYS have to deal with USCIS. You missed my whole post and only saw that? To be honest, I am thinking about not going to the Oath Ceremony. It really does not seem worth all the trouble... We have more rights in Algeria than America. I thought this was the land of Freedoms. But really, if Google Maps are so dangerous, why does Google give me access to them on my tablet device. In fact, there is an application pre-installed on there!

Edited by doubtingstef

Filed: Timeline

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark...sometimes fishing will get you...nothing

Hi. I'm going to my Oath Ceremony soon. Yay! Another THREE DAY journy by bus and foot. With kids. A year's worth of savings. All for a 5 minute event to get a piece of paper! I don't want to sound ungrateful. But America should really not make it so hard. They should just mail it to you, or do the oath on webcam. Ugh!

OK. So does anyone know wha the security rules are? Last time we got in big trouble for having umbrullahs, a spare cell phone battery, and the worst....google maps! We were intorogated. I thought we were going to be arrested! So we want to be prepared. I called USCIS. It was about 30 minute wait. The lady was nice and said that the rules are on the appointment letter. But they are not!!! So I escalated to an Immigration Officer. He was mean, and said that USCIS is not in charge of security and could tell me no more. He said "bye" and hung up on me! Luckily we read the name of the security ompany. Inter-Con. We contacted them. We were transferred 8 times. EIGHT TIMES. Everyone was rude. The final person was threatening and wanted our names, birthdates, SSNs and address. I refused! I said it was basic information! It should be on their site. They said they never heard of the SSA nor the USCIS and wondered what I meant by being a "customer" at these places. They said "I'm not gonna tell you nuthin!" and hung up! I read the USCIS and DHS websites. Nothing there. Inter-Con website. Nothing there.

So what are the rules for the security checkpoints at USCIS? OK. Do not bring cell phones with you. On a 500+ mile trip. No umbrullahs on a 20 mile hike with children and a newborn. Google maps? Terrorist material. Got it. What else can we get busted for? Breast milk? Diapers? Food? Purfume? Is there a link anywhere? Also, why does security have to read all of your paperwork anyway? I mean, why should they have access to your SSN, birth dates, address, etc. Just doesn't seem right. One last thing, I was told on here that some states allow naturalized citizens to get US Passports? Is there a list of which states allow this? I would love a US passport.

PS-Please don't troll here! Thanks for honest and helpful answers.

PPS-What's with needing a drivers liscence to get a passport. I never understood that. I am not driving over the ocean.

doubtingstef, on 11 Jun 2014 - 03:14 AM, said:doubtingstef, on 11 Jun 2014 - 03:14 AM, said:

Unless I need to replace it. Naturalized citizens will ALWAYS have to deal with USCIS. You missed my whole post and only saw that? To be honest, I am thinking about not going to the Oath Ceremony. It really does not seem worth all the trouble... We have more rights in Algeria than America. I thought this was the land of Freedoms. But really, if Google Maps are so dangerous, why does Google give me access to them on my tablet device. In fact, there is an application pre-installed on there!

No I actually read your whole post.....

Please explain why you think you have to deal with USCIS again after naturalisation..??

Every state allows a naturalized citizen to have a US passport......,they're not issued by individual states, but issued by US government.

You will have exactly the same rights as a US-born citizen, unless you want to run for president.

What am I missing here!!!????

Edited by mamaSue

Old and Grumpy....But an American Citizen!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

Please explain why you think you have to deal with USCIS again after naturalisation..??

Every state allows a naturalized citizen to have a US passport......,they're not issued by individual states, but issued by US government.

You will have exactly the same rights as a US-born citizen, unless you want to run for president.

Agree

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

You're missing this person's other posts which are very similar to this, and state the same things over and over without accepting any reasonable responses from others. Do not bother engaging with OP...

CITIZENSHIP:
Eligibility Criteria: 5 years
xx-xx-1998: Eligibility Date
11-12-2013: Application Sent
11-19-2013: NOA Date
11-19-2013: Check/Money Order Cashed
11-22-2013: Bio-metric Letter sent Date
12-05-2013: Bio-metric Date
01-10-2014: In-line for Interview
02-06-2014: Interview Letter Received
03-12-2014: Interview Date

03-21-2014: In Oath Scheduling Que

03-24-2014: Oath Scheduled Notice Mailed

04-09-2014: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Not in my state :( You cannot get a US Passport unless you have a US Birth Certificate. Nor a drivers license. Almost everything requires a Certified US Birth Certificate. I was recently denied benefits as well, due to possessing a foreign marriage certificate. But I can't find out how to get my foreign marriage registered in the USA. I was told it would be illegal to just go out and get married here, as the US does not allow you to marry your spouse. I can't get a SSN card. I finally got my green card! After LOTS of fighting. And my green card is not valid secondary ID(how do I get primary?), as it does not have a middle name or place of birth on it! We can't get anything for our kids either, as they do not have SSN cards. They were born in the USA! The SSA said in order to get a monor's SSN card, you need a Certified Permission from a Medical Doctor. They will not accept a US Passport as valid ID. Seriously, this is all crazy stuff. In Algeria, we could solve all these problems with 20 US dollars. No problem! The worst thing is not that the laws in America are so strict, and EVERYTHING is a crime. That is not what is hard. The food is good and apartments are big. So it is worth it. The problem is that these people are SO very mean about things! Americans treat others like they are dirt. Like other people are worthless garbage. Anyway, I am not here to complain. Just to prepare, if I decide to brave the frightful Oath Ceremony nightmare.

As for dealing with USCIS, I explained that. You will always be in their system. If you lose your Naturalization Certificate, who else do you get that from? If not USCIS? They are also the ones(I hope) to tell the SSA you qualify for a SSN card. And they are also the ones(I hope) that tell your State you qualify for a Certified US Birth Certificate. Also, since you are on a provisional 2 year citizenship, they are also the ones that can take away your citizenship at anytime. As for Naturalized Citizens having the same rights as US born Citizens? Could not be farther from the truth. Can Naturalized Citizens get a SSN card? US Birth Certificate? US Passport? Go to college? Vote? Get a bank account? Credit card? If I decide to get my magical paper, it will not really do that much for me.

You're missing this person's other posts which are very similar to this, and state the same things over and over without accepting any reasonable responses from others. Do not bother engaging with OP...

I will not accept harassment and trolling. Those are not being reasonable. Do you have something to add to this thread? Would you like it if I went on your threads and said mean things to you? Why do people come to an immigration forum to troll others?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread closed as the question has been answered~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.