_Paul&Jesica_

Is a new letter affirming the intention of marriage and support required for USEM?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was re-reading the guides and I missed this before:

Send an original letter affirming your desire to marry your fiance(e) and your continued support of the K-1 Visa. Sign and date the form. This will be similar to the letter you provided with the I-129F, but dated much closer to the interview (it will have most likely been several months since you submitted your I-129F).

Is this required for the interview at USEM? I didn't see anything about it in the required documents. And if so, does it have to be an original document or can I scan a PDF that my fiancee can print and bring? The issue is that we have our interview next week and I forgot to include this in the packet I sent off to her and getting this to her before the interview date is going to be iffy now...

Thanks for any advice!

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I did take it to the interview,but was never asked by the CO.If you have recent discussions about your wedding plans when in US,which could be printed,you can highlight them and take that to the interview.This might help,if the letter is asked for.I think they just verify that the relationship is true,rather than that letter itself.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is sort of a "trick question"... errrr "answer" ;) The embassy does not come right out and ask for the Letter of Intent, they just ask for evidence:

h. EVIDENCE OF A GENUINE ENGAGEMENT. You must be prepared to prove to the consular officer
that you have a genuine relationship with your petitioner and a clear intention to marry within 90 days of
admission into the U.S. In the past, successful applicants have submitted photographs, letters, e-mails,
phone records, bank records, and remittance records as evidence supporting their relationships and intent to
marry.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/325288/packets/K1%20and%20K2%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_updated%2004%20Feb%202014_.pdf

Now with all that said, we still have our Letters of Intent, embassy did not ask for them, and I have not come across anyone in some time that has reported that the embassy asked for their LOI either. I know during the interview the applicant will have to take a sworn oath to marry.

For this phase of the visa process I don't think the GUIDE on VJ is very good as it lists many things that are a total waste of energy/time to send to the Philippines.

1. A copy of the entire I-129f package (that you made when you sent the petition in) and a copy of information that you sent back due to an RFE (if you received one). Your fiance(e) should review this information in advance of the interview (the embassy will have copies of this as well). 2. Send copies of the documentary proof that you submitted with the I-129F for your fiance(e) to have on hand for their interview at the embassy. Your fiance(e) should review this information in advance of the interview (the embassy will have copies of this as well). 3. Send an original letter affirming your desire to marry your fiance(e) and your continued support of the K-1 Visa. Sign and date the form. This will be similar to the letter you provided with the I-129F, but dated much closer to the interview (it will have most likely been several months since you submitted your I-129F). 4. I-134 Affidavit of Support form. Ensure it is signed, with all required supporting evidence. Begin collecting the required information ahead of time, as it can often take several weeks to collect it all. 5. You will need several items (for the above form). Gather duplicate evidence of income and resources as appropriate:

(A) Statement from an officer of the bank/financial institution with your deposits, identifying the following: 1. date account opened; 2. total amount deposited for the past year; 3. present balance
(B) Statement(s) from your employer on business stationary showing: 1. Date and nature of employment; 2. salary paid; 3. whether position is temporary or permanent (also include copies of your last two pay stubs and your previous W-2 for the associated employer if available)
© If Self Employed: 1. Copy of last income tax return filed (or IRS transcripts); or 2. report of commercial rating concern ALL NEED TO PROVIDE A TAX RETURN!
(D) List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s).

Begin collecting these ASAP after your NOA2 arrives. See this FAQ for more tips and useful information on the Affidavit of Support Form. 6. A copy of the NOA2 that you received in the mail. (backup information; the embassy will have copies of this as well) 7. Proof of your ongoing relationship. This needs to be taken to the interview! Include photos, travel documents, emails, online chat logs (pick several over the prior few months), etc.. from between the time you filed and present (NOA1 until date-now).

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

It is sort of a "trick question"... errrr "answer" ;) The embassy does not come right out and ask for the Letter of Intent, they just ask for evidence:

h. EVIDENCE OF A GENUINE ENGAGEMENT. You must be prepared to prove to the consular officer
that you have a genuine relationship with your petitioner and a clear intention to marry within 90 days of
admission into the U.S. In the past, successful applicants have submitted photographs, letters, e-mails,
phone records, bank records, and remittance records as evidence supporting their relationships and intent to
marry.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/325288/packets/K1%20and%20K2%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_updated%2004%20Feb%202014_.pdf

Now with all that said, we still have our Letters of Intent, embassy did not ask for them, and I have not come across anyone in some time that has reported that the embassy asked for their LOI either. I know during the interview the applicant will have to take a sworn oath to marry.

For this phase of the visa process I don't think the GUIDE on VJ is very good as it lists many things that are a total waste of energy/time to send to the Philippines.

1. A copy of the entire I-129f package (that you made when you sent the petition in) and a copy of information that you sent back due to an RFE (if you received one). Your fiance(e) should review this information in advance of the interview (the embassy will have copies of this as well). 2. Send copies of the documentary proof that you submitted with the I-129F for your fiance(e) to have on hand for their interview at the embassy. Your fiance(e) should review this information in advance of the interview (the embassy will have copies of this as well). 3. Send an original letter affirming your desire to marry your fiance(e) and your continued support of the K-1 Visa. Sign and date the form. This will be similar to the letter you provided with the I-129F, but dated much closer to the interview (it will have most likely been several months since you submitted your I-129F). 4. I-134 Affidavit of Support form. Ensure it is signed, with all required supporting evidence. Begin collecting the required information ahead of time, as it can often take several weeks to collect it all. 5. You will need several items (for the above form). Gather duplicate evidence of income and resources as appropriate:

(A) Statement from an officer of the bank/financial institution with your deposits, identifying the following: 1. date account opened; 2. total amount deposited for the past year; 3. present balance

(B) Statement(s) from your employer on business stationary showing: 1. Date and nature of employment; 2. salary paid; 3. whether position is temporary or permanent (also include copies of your last two pay stubs and your previous W-2 for the associated employer if available)

© If Self Employed: 1. Copy of last income tax return filed (or IRS transcripts); or 2. report of commercial rating concern ALL NEED TO PROVIDE A TAX RETURN!

(D) List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s).

Begin collecting these ASAP after your NOA2 arrives. See this FAQ for more tips and useful information on the Affidavit of Support Form. 6. A copy of the NOA2 that you received in the mail. (backup information; the embassy will have copies of this as well) 7. Proof of your ongoing relationship. This needs to be taken to the interview! Include photos, travel documents, emails, online chat logs (pick several over the prior few months), etc.. from between the time you filed and present (NOA1 until date-now).

Hey

Some of your points are true, and some are not. For example a whole copy of I-129F is not needed at interview. But you are wrong about the evidence of support. Tax returns only is not enough. They need something to prove continuous income to support. For example, check below what is required as evidence of support from US Embassy in Abu Dhabi: (Mentioned as Important Required Docs in the Interview Letter from the Embassy).

EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: Evidence which will show that you and your children, if any, are not likely to become public charge in the United States. An affidavit of support Form I-134 should be completed by the petitioner and submitted with all supporting documents - current salary letter, current bank statement and 1040 tax form for the most recent year. A joint sponsor would also be required if the petitioner is unemployed.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134.pdf

It seems that you are generalizing your experience to all US Embassies around world. Requirements sometimes differ from one embassy to another, although they are all US Embassies.

VJ website has done great job compiling anything might be asked by any US Embassy around the world. Hence, I think the VJ guide is amazing and what you consider redundant in it, is so required and important in other US Embassies.

Thanks

Edited by blackknight1609

I-130 (Parent)

- Submitted June 2021

- 1st NOA (June 2021)

I-130 (Brother 1)

- Submitted (September 2019)

- 1st NOA (September 2019)

I-130 (Brother 2)

- Submitted (Not yet)

- 1st NOA (Not yet)

Timeline

Hey

Some of your points are true, and some are not. For example a whole copy of I-129F is not needed at interview. But you are wrong about the evidence of support. Tax returns only is not enough. They need something to prove continuous income to support. For example, check below what is required as evidence of support from US Embassy in Abu Dhabi: (Mentioned as Important Required Docs in the Interview Letter from the Embassy).

EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: Evidence which will show that you and your children, if any, are not likely to become public charge in the United States. An affidavit of support Form I-134 should be completed by the petitioner and submitted with all supporting documents - current salary letter, current bank statement and 1040 tax form for the most recent year. A joint sponsor would also be required if the petitioner is unemployed.

It seems that you are generalizing your experience to all US Embassies around world. Requirements sometimes differ from one embassy to another, although they are all US Embassies.

VJ website has done great job compiling anything might be asked by any US Embassy around the world. Hence, I think the VJ guide is amazing and what you consider redundant in it, is so required and important in other US Embassies.

Thanks

You are in the Philippines forum, my post is in the Philippines forum and relates to the process at USEM... I really don't care what happens at OTHER Embassies or their requirements... they DO NOT relate to the process at USEM in the Philippines.

Your reference to YOUR embassy instructions letter is not the same as the instructions letter from USEM thus not of value in this forum.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Hank is discussing this in the Philippine regional forum, with another going to the Manila embassy. His comments are not meant to cover all embassies, just what works in the Philippines.

A copy of the I-129F is not required to be turned in by the beneficiary during the interview, but the beneficiary should be aware and know everything that was included in the form that was submitted. And that goes for any embassy. Do you really think they might not ask questions based on it?

Hey

Thanks

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

I appreciate all the discussion around this, but if we have lots of other supporting documents, photos, chat logs, etc... will not having this letter result in a denial?

Or can I sign and scan it here and email it to her to print? Does it have to be an original signature? That is the primary question as I am not sure I can get the document to her before next Wednesday. I might be able to if I sent today, but it is going to be close..

Also, is there a sample of this anywhere?

Thanks again!

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

10/01/2014 Biometrics

Timeline

I appreciate all the discussion around this, but if we have lots of other supporting documents, photos, chat logs, etc... will not having this letter result in a denial?

Or can I sign and scan it here and email it to her to print? Does it have to be an original signature? That is the primary question as I am not sure I can get the document to her before next Wednesday. I might be able to if I sent today, but it is going to be close..

Thanks again!

My opinion - Nope, not having the LOI will not result in a denial. Email a copy if you are concerned, but I would bet $$$ the embassy will not ask for it. ;)

Letter of Intent to marry is the same letter you sent to USCIS just newly dated. (the embassy has this in the file)

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thank you Hank! Your opinion is much appreciated!

I will draft up a new letter, sign, date and scan it to a PDF for her to print out. I will have her print one that she can sign for herself as well.

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

10/01/2014 Biometrics

Thanks again!

I'd write one up, sign it, scan it and then drop the original in the mail as well as emailing the scanned copy. She can carry the printed scanned copy if needed. I've heard of them not being asked for it, and I've heard of the visa being held up until one is provided. It should be an original, but they might cut you some slack if its not, if you get a CO that asks for it.

Just say I "your name" intent to marry and spend my life with "her name" within 90 days of her arrival in the USA. Date and sign. its not a complicated document.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

I'd write one up, sign it, scan it and then drop the original in the mail as well as emailing the scanned copy. She can carry the printed scanned copy if needed. I've heard of them not being asked for it, and I've heard of the visa being held up until one is provided. It should be an original, but they might cut you some slack if its not, if you get a CO that asks for it.

Just say I "your name" intent to marry and spend my life with "her name" within 90 days of her arrival in the USA. Date and sign. its not a complicated document.

You have heard of a visa being held up for lack of the LOI? In the last 3 years? I have not read of anyone even being asked for the LOI.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I just found the original one I sent with my I-129F, so I am just updating it.

The issue is getting the original to her before the interview date. It isn't likely now due to shipping times, even with the fastest possible by DHL. I sent out stuff yesterday that will arrive just barely in time, but I missed this document when I was going through the package I prepared. Hopefully a printed copy will be acceptable from me. She will sign and date and have her original with her.

Thanks again!

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

10/01/2014 Biometrics

You have heard of a visa being held up for lack of the LOI? In the last 3 years? I have not read of anyone even being asked for the LOI.

It was actually more like 5 years ago. Which is why I mentioned if the CO even asks for it. That CO may have had other doubts about the relationship, and that was just an excuse to check that they were still in contact.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

I just found the original one I sent with my I-129F, so I am just updating it.

The issue is getting the original to her before the interview date. It isn't likely now due to shipping times, even with the fastest possible by DHL. I sent out stuff yesterday that will arrive just barely in time, but I missed this document when I was going through the package I prepared. Hopefully a printed copy will be acceptable from me. She will sign and date and have her original with her.

Thanks again!

That's what I did, just updated the old one on my computer and dated and signed that copy. I had two big Fedex bundles to my then fiancee, who wanted everything under the sun, then got asked for next to nothing. Front loading the petition made the interview easier on her, plus the documented 9 year relationship in the petition.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

That's what I did, just updated the old one on my computer and dated and signed that copy. I had two big Fedex bundles to my then fiancee, who wanted everything under the sun, then got asked for next to nothing. Front loading the petition made the interview easier on her, plus the documented 9 year relationship in the petition.

That is exactly that I did.. for the most part.. as I forgot the LOI. I had to make sure all the financial stuff to support the I-134 was there, as well as the photos I printed from my visit two weeks ago and other evidence of our relationship. We are under a serious time crunch because I foolishly accepted the first available interview slot I saw, which was June 18... and USEM didn't get our case until 6/8/2014. I mistakenly thought that it was for the following week. D'oh!

So we have been scrambling to get things done. And it takes 4 days minimum for DHL to get packages from me in Arizona to Manila.. We have to ship to a cousin there in Manila because my fiancee lives 6 hours north and it takes 8 days minimum to get a package to her house, and that is with the fastest available option through DHL.

I called my fiancee at 4:30 in the morning (her time) today and told her she needs to go to Manila asap (6 hour bus ride) to go to do medical tomorrow (6/11) as the interview is a week later...

What a crazy ride!

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

10/01/2014 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.