one...two...tree

UAE beats Americans' environmental harm

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

By JIM KRANE, Associated Press Writer

When it comes to squandering the earth's natural resources, residents of this desert land of chilled swimming pools, monster 4x4s and air-conditioned malls are on a par with even the ravenous consumption of Americans, according to the World Wildlife Fund.

The average person in the Emirates puts more demand on the global ecosystem than any other, giving the country the world's largest per-capita "ecological footprint," WWF data shows. The United States runs second.

But the oil-rich Emirates is considered a developing country, and even as a signatory to the United Nations' Kyoto protocol on global warming, is not required to cut emissions. The United States is no longer bound by Kyoto, which the Bush administration rejected after taking office in 2001.

Even so, the Emirates government has been embarrassed by the WWF report, which it says is flawed. The federal environment agency is devising strategies to cut emissions, including a public campaign that may offer economic incentives to those who turn down their air conditioning, Saad al-Numairy, an adviser to agency, said Monday.

"We have an action plan," al-Numairy said. "But we are a multicultural country with 180 nationalities. It's not going to be easy."

Energy consumption in the Emirates runs high for many of the same reasons found in the United States: a feeling that the good life requires huge air-conditioned houses and cars, and a disdain for public transportation.

___

On the Net:

WWF report: http://assets.panda.org/downloads/living_planet_report.pdf

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

steven, sure could use some of that global warming about now windy.gif

it's 15 F here!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
steven, sure could use some of that global warming about now windy.gif

it's 15 F here!

Move to UAE.

or turn up the thermostat. ;)

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

"The average person in the Emirates puts more demand on the global ecosystem than any other, giving the country the world's largest per-capita "ecological footprint," WWF data shows. The United States runs second."

WooHoo! We're not the worst! We're not the worst! :dance::whistle:

Did anyone check out 'An Inconvenient Truth'? Very interesting if you haven't.

Edited by Robor007

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

"The average person in the Emirates puts more demand on the global ecosystem than any other, giving the country the world's largest per-capita "ecological footprint," WWF data shows. The United States runs second."

:yes:

Rob, I just recently watched a documentary I think you'd be interested in seeing - The Corporation. I belong to Netflix and watched it over the weekend.

B0007DBJM8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I finally decided to watch that movie. It was pretty interesting but honestly Gore needed to keep the politics out of it. It was like he was basically blaming global warming on the fact that Bush won the 2000 election and not him. Every time they talked about politicians rejecting solutions they panned on a Republican. These are not good tactics if you are trying get people who are otherwise skeptical of you to look at the situation in an unbiased manner. Other than that I think he put it together pretty good. We're screwed.

Edited by dalegg

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Steven, so when did you denounce your central air conditioning? You already used the "I live in SoCal" excuse for the car, so don't use that one again.

and get rid of the leather shoes and belt :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

LOL, that "you're against large-scale pollution, so therefore you should live in a hut with no electricity or running water" argument never gets old.

Also applies to "you are against x policy so why haven't you given all your money to the cause and moved in with your mother?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Pollution actually helps prevent global warming. If the atmosphere was clear of pollution, the earth

would heat up much faster. Fewer particles in the air to absorb the sunlight means more solar energy

hitting the ground.

That would be what you'd think with a rudimentary knowledge of the science. Luckily many people have a better understanding of the science than that.

Timeline
Pollution actually helps prevent global warming. If the atmosphere was clear of pollution, the earth

would heat up much faster. Fewer particles in the air to absorb the sunlight means more solar energy

hitting the ground.

That would be what you'd think with a rudimentary knowledge of the science. Luckily many people have a better understanding of the science than that.

It's a scientific fact. Ask any scientist. The greenhouse effect is partly masked by air pollution.

Edited by bob_bonner

Timeline

Masks the greenhouse effect. Prevents global warming.

The greenhouse effect is the absorption of energy by the atmosphere which is only partly responsible for making the planet warmer.

Of course, the real cause of global warming is the sun. To maintain a thermal equilibrium, the earth must radiate the same amount of energy back into space that it receives from the sun. There are basically two types of radiation, visible solar radiation and thermal infrared radiation. The former heats up the surface and the latter heats up the atmosphere. Air pollution reduces the amount of solar radiation reaching the surface.

Edited by bob_bonner