second stage

N-400 JUNE 2014 Filers

1,745 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

How long would it take from the day of applying for global entry to receiving the card? I have an international travel planned this Dec. 21st. Is it too late to apply now?

They do give you a card, but you don't need it to travel by plane. It's only useful for land travel or at the airport in Canada. They link your green card or your US passport to your global entry account and that's what you use.

You have to apply online and pay the $100 fee. You answer a questionnaire and if you are pre-approved (takes about a week) you have to schedule an interview at a Customs and Border Patrol office. Most of these are in airports but some are not. If they approve you it takes a few days to be notified and a week or two to get the letter and card. Every time you change passports you have to reapply. So if you are applying for citizenship now, it's a waste of money because you'll have to do it again when you give up your green card. It's also only valid for five years.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

It gets you through airport immigration checks much faster. You just scan your green card (if you are a PR) or your passport (if you are a citizen) at a computer kiosk and take your photo and scan your finger prints. It's all self-service. No immigration officer. No passport stamp.

Last time I didn't even take my passport out of my bag. Just my green card.

You have to apply and get approved.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Entry

Just noticed that there's a fee of $100. I might take a trip once every 2-3 years or so. So thanks but no thanks. Good to know about the option, though.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

It gets you through airport immigration checks much faster. You just scan your green card (if you are a PR) or your passport (if you are a citizen) at a computer kiosk and take your photo and scan your finger prints. It's all self-service. No immigration officer. No passport stamp.

Last time I didn't even take my passport out of my bag. Just my green card.

You have to apply and get approved.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Entry

To anyone considering global entry, its an awesome program. Every time you come into the country you just walk out of the immigration area like a superstar. You just swipe your green card or passport, get a printout for customs in 30 seconds. No need to stand in line at immigration or fill out customs paper form in the airplane.

I just walk out of the bus taking us to the immigration area, get into the lane marked Global Entry, scan passport and collect print out, collect baggage and head to the special line at customs and walk out of the airport. You feel like a superstar.

The look on fellow passenger's faces when they see you walk out while they head to the long lines at immigration is priceless.

If you travel outside the country atleast couple of times a year then its a must have. $100 for 5 years is worth it and the application process is very simple.

Timeline

To anyone considering global entry, its an awesome program. Every time you come into the country you just walk out of the immigration area like a superstar. You just swipe your green card or passport, get a printout for customs in 30 seconds. No need to stand in line at immigration or fill out customs paper form in the airplane.

I just walk out of the bus taking us to the immigration area, get into the lane marked Global Entry, scan passport and collect print out, collect baggage and head to the special line at customs and walk out of the airport. You feel like a superstar.

The look on fellow passenger's faces when they see you walk out while they head to the long lines at immigration is priceless.

If you travel outside the country atleast couple of times a year then its a must have. $100 for 5 years is worth it and the application process is very simple.

Good to know. I'm actually gonna consider it, too. How long does it normally take for the process to complete. I think an interview is mandatory if I'm not mistaken?

Timeline

Actually, I'm confused about something else. Why'd one apply for Global entry as opposed to Nexus? Seems like Nexus actually has all the benefits of Global entry and is 1/2 the price?

What am I missing here?

Timeline

Good to know. I'm actually gonna consider it, too. How long does it normally take for the process to complete. I think an interview is mandatory if I'm not mistaken?

The process just takes few weeks to complete, not very complicated. I just filled out online form and submitted, waited a few weeks for interview at Dulles International airport .. 10 mins from my place. At interview, they run you through a video and just get some basic details I guess and that's it.

Infact this was simpler than applying for a driver's license!

I got a global entry card which I have misplaced as I don't need it. The credentials are tied to your green card or passport.

Timeline

Actually, I'm confused about something else. Why'd one apply for Global entry as opposed to Nexus? Seems like Nexus actually has all the benefits of Global entry and is 1/2 the price?

What am I missing here?

Nexus is the Canadian equivalent of Global Entry but it enjoys all the perks of global entry.

Read more at: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/05/global-entry-nexus-and-precheck-a-comprehensive-guide-and-faq/

The disadvantage is limited enrollment centers in US.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/nexus-enrollment-centers

For me global entry airport was 10 minute drive, infact I live right across the airport first residential community after the airport.

I think TSA PreCheck would be a very useful program to get into, you cannot use global entry to skip long lines on the way into the airport. I keep forgetting to apply for it.

Timeline

dcnova, how many weeks did it take you? Thanks!

Mine was 2 weeks!

You may find my thread and experience at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1066899-global-entry-program-processing-time-59.html#post20616370

It was very simple, On April 1st I had returned back to US after a short visit abroad. At immigration line first time noticed the empty line for GOES, not even any immigration officer as its just a kiosk there. Googled it and applied online and got approved in 2 weeks. Can't recommend this program enough to people, specially if you are a frequent international traveler or travel with kids. Think of that $100 as just additional one time cost of your airline ticket $1000 + usually anyways.

Edited by dcnova

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Moaz, what does "global entry" do? I wasn't aware of it.

How Does the Global Entry Program Work?

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Though intended for frequent international travelers, there is no minimum number of trips necessary to qualify for the program. Participants may enter the United States by using automated kiosks located at select airports.

At airports, program participants proceed to Global Entry kiosks, present their machine-readable passport or U.S. permanent resident card, place their fingertips on the scanner for fingerprint verification, and make a customs declaration. The kiosk issues the traveler a transaction receipt and directs the traveler to baggage claim and the exit.

Travelers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and interview before enrollment.

While Global Entry's goal is to speed travelers through the process, members may be selected for further examination when entering the United States. Any violation of the program's terms and conditions will result in appropriate enforcement action and revocation of the traveler's membership privileges

Eligibility for Global Entry

Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program.

Reasons for Ineligibility

Applicants may not qualify for participation in the Global Entry program if they:

• Provide false or incomplete information on the application;
  • Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants;
  • Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
  • Are subjects of an ongoing investigation by any federal, state or local law enforcement agency;
  • Are inadmissible to the United States under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation;
  • Cannot satisfy CBP of their low-risk status (e.g. CBP has intelligence that indicates that the applicant is not low risk; CBP cannot determine an applicant's criminal, residence or employment history)

Applicants under the age of 18 must have the consent of a parent or legal guardian to participate in the program. If an individual does not meet the requirements of Global Entry, their application will be denied.

Applicants must be in possession of either a machine-readable passport or U.S. permanent resident card.

Benefits of Global Entry
Benefits for Global Entry MembersimagesCA2UVN9N.jpg

Your time is valuable. As a pre-screened Global Entry member, you arrive in the United States, check-in at the Global Entry kiosk - and you're on your way. So what are you waiting for?

Why Should I Join?
  • No processing lines
  • No paperwork
  • Access to expedited entry benefits in other countries
  • Available at major U.S. airports
  • Reduced wait times

How to Apply for Global Entry
  1. Before applying for Global Entry online, learn about the eligibility requirements.

It's easy. Just follow these steps:

1. Apply Online: Fill out an online application and pay the $100 non-refundable application fee.
  2. Schedule an Interview: Once your application is reviewed, you will receive a message in your GOES account instructing you to schedule an interview at one of the Global Entry Enrollment Centers.
  3. Interview Determines Your Eligibility: A U.S. Customs Border Protection officer will ask you questions, take your photo, and collect biometric information, e.g., scan your fingerprints.
  4. Provide Identification: Bring your valid passport(s) and one other form of identification, such as a driver's license or ID card to the interview. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must present your permanent resident card.

Application Fees

Global Entry requires a non-refundable application fee. If approved, the Global Entry membership is valid for five years with no additional charges. Global Entry members must still pay all regular duty fees on items brought into the country.

The $100 fee per applicant must be paid at the time of your Global Entry application. Applications must be completed and submitted online through the Global Online Enrollment System. The application fee is paid by credit card or through an electronic bank transfer. The fee is non-refundable, even if an application is denied.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection offers additional frequent traveler programs such as NEXUS and SENTRI.

Application Process

Apply now with the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES). The Global Entry online application is part of U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) Global Online Enrollment System (GOES), which is used for all CBP Trusted Traveler program applications.

Every individual who applies for Global Entry - including children - must create an individual GOES account and submit a separate Global Entry application. Each pays the non-refundable $100 application fee via credit card or electronic bank transfer.

After accepting your completed application and fee, CBP will review your application. If your application is conditionally approved, your GOES account will instruct you to schedule an appointment for an interview at a Global Entry Enrollment Center. Each applicant in a household must schedule a separate interview.

Contact Us

For questions regarding Global Entry or any other U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program, you can visit the CBP Info Center website or contact the Global Entry Enrollment Center nearest you.

For inquiries regarding the denial of a Global Entry application, visit Denial Inquiries.

Global Entry Locations
Global Entry kiosks are located at the following airports:
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte-Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)
  • Dublin Airport (DUB)*
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston (IAH)
  • Guam International Airport (GUM)*
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
  • Honolulu International Airport (HNL)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)
  • John Wayne Airport (SNA)*
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas (LAS)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Orlando-Sanford International Airport (SFB)
  • Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport (YOW)
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)*
  • Saipan International Airport (SPN)*
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Antonio International Airport (SAT)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)*
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)*
  • San Juan-Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport (SJU)
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport-SeaTac (SEA)
  • Shannon Airport (SNN)*
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport (YWG)

*There are no enrollment centers at these locations.

Edited by Moaz

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Guys,

I have been inline for interview passed 90 days, (holtsville, NY Office), when I called uscis they said, just create an info pass. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Passed the Interview at Norfolk office. Officer was nice and friendly.

The officer called my name, smiled, greeted and then we proceeded to interview room where I was asked to raise my hand and swear anything that I will say will be truth, truth and only truth.

The officer then asked for my passport, gc and driving license.

The interview started with 6 civic questions:

1. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?

2. How many amendments does the Constitution have?

3. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?

4. Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived?

5. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?

6. Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States.

After reading and writing a very simple sentence, the officer went through the entire application and asked me questions based on that (yes/no questions).

Then she asked me to sign the application and gave me the N-652 form which has "Congratulations, your application has been recommended for approval" ticked.

She also told me that oath ceremony will follow in few months.

The interview lasted for 15 minutes. I wasn't asked for any other documents even though I carried plenty of evidence. Its better to take all documents just in case if they want to see.

Timeline

cool stuff! I might actually apply for it myself. Thx.

How Does the Global Entry Program Work?

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Though intended for frequent international travelers, there is no minimum number of trips necessary to qualify for the program. Participants may enter the United States by using automated kiosks located at select airports.

At airports, program participants proceed to Global Entry kiosks, present their machine-readable passport or U.S. permanent resident card, place their fingertips on the scanner for fingerprint verification, and make a customs declaration. The kiosk issues the traveler a transaction receipt and directs the traveler to baggage claim and the exit.

Travelers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and interview before enrollment.

While Global Entry's goal is to speed travelers through the process, members may be selected for further examination when entering the United States. Any violation of the program's terms and conditions will result in appropriate enforcement action and revocation of the traveler's membership privileges

Eligibility for Global Entry

Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program.

Reasons for Ineligibility

Applicants may not qualify for participation in the Global Entry program if they:

• Provide false or incomplete information on the application;
  • Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants;
  • Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
  • Are subjects of an ongoing investigation by any federal, state or local law enforcement agency;
  • Are inadmissible to the United States under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation;
  • Cannot satisfy CBP of their low-risk status (e.g. CBP has intelligence that indicates that the applicant is not low risk; CBP cannot determine an applicant's criminal, residence or employment history)

Applicants under the age of 18 must have the consent of a parent or legal guardian to participate in the program. If an individual does not meet the requirements of Global Entry, their application will be denied.

Applicants must be in possession of either a machine-readable passport or U.S. permanent resident card.

Benefits of Global Entry
Benefits for Global Entry MembersimagesCA2UVN9N.jpg

Your time is valuable. As a pre-screened Global Entry member, you arrive in the United States, check-in at the Global Entry kiosk - and you're on your way. So what are you waiting for?

Why Should I Join?
  • No processing lines
  • No paperwork
  • Access to expedited entry benefits in other countries
  • Available at major U.S. airports
  • Reduced wait times

How to Apply for Global Entry
  1. Before applying for Global Entry online, learn about the eligibility requirements.

It's easy. Just follow these steps:

1. Apply Online: Fill out an online application and pay the $100 non-refundable application fee.
  2. Schedule an Interview: Once your application is reviewed, you will receive a message in your GOES account instructing you to schedule an interview at one of the Global Entry Enrollment Centers.
  3. Interview Determines Your Eligibility: A U.S. Customs Border Protection officer will ask you questions, take your photo, and collect biometric information, e.g., scan your fingerprints.
  4. Provide Identification: Bring your valid passport(s) and one other form of identification, such as a driver's license or ID card to the interview. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must present your permanent resident card.

Application Fees

Global Entry requires a non-refundable application fee. If approved, the Global Entry membership is valid for five years with no additional charges. Global Entry members must still pay all regular duty fees on items brought into the country.

The $100 fee per applicant must be paid at the time of your Global Entry application. Applications must be completed and submitted online through the Global Online Enrollment System. The application fee is paid by credit card or through an electronic bank transfer. The fee is non-refundable, even if an application is denied.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection offers additional frequent traveler programs such as NEXUS and SENTRI.

Application Process

Apply now with the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES). The Global Entry online application is part of U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) Global Online Enrollment System (GOES), which is used for all CBP Trusted Traveler program applications.

Every individual who applies for Global Entry - including children - must create an individual GOES account and submit a separate Global Entry application. Each pays the non-refundable $100 application fee via credit card or electronic bank transfer.

After accepting your completed application and fee, CBP will review your application. If your application is conditionally approved, your GOES account will instruct you to schedule an appointment for an interview at a Global Entry Enrollment Center. Each applicant in a household must schedule a separate interview.

Contact Us

For questions regarding Global Entry or any other U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program, you can visit the CBP Info Center website or contact the Global Entry Enrollment Center nearest you.

For inquiries regarding the denial of a Global Entry application, visit Denial Inquiries.

Global Entry Locations
Global Entry kiosks are located at the following airports:
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte-Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)
  • Dublin Airport (DUB)*
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston (IAH)
  • Guam International Airport (GUM)*
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
  • Honolulu International Airport (HNL)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)
  • John Wayne Airport (SNA)*
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas (LAS)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Orlando-Sanford International Airport (SFB)
  • Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport (YOW)
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)*
  • Saipan International Airport (SPN)*
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Antonio International Airport (SAT)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)*
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)*
  • San Juan-Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport (SJU)
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport-SeaTac (SEA)
  • Shannon Airport (SNN)*
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport (YWG)

*There are no enrollment centers at these locations.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Guys,

I have been inline for interview passed 90 days, (holtsville, NY Office), when I called uscis they said, just create an info pass. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Create an infopass.

:-)

Seriously... there's not much else you can do before you try that.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Other Timeline

I had my interview yesterday at the LIC office in Queens, NYC and passed it.

Got in at 8:02am and my appointment was for 8:25am but didn't get called until sometime after 9:30am.

The waiting room had a decent amount of people when I got in and I expected about a two hour wait.

The officer was no non-sense and she barely exchanged plesantries which was fine by me. I had the civics test where she asked me the questions, I answered and she wrote them down verbatim. I was under the impression that I will be the one who had to write the answers down. Not a big deal but was this the case for everyone? I read a simple question and wrote a simple sentence the officer dictated.

She went over my application, never asked for original documents or supporting evidence (I brought all the latest evidence that I submitted with the N400 application). She only asked about a trip I took with my family this past August and asked me multiple times (all separate) if I wanted to change my name as I have several names. The officer mentioned that my name was too long and may give problems with the certificate. I never had a problem with the other applications (I-481, I-765, N-400) until she made a comment. I told her that I want to keep my name as is to keep the uniformity & consistency of all my documents (didn't want the headache of changing it). She told me I was approved and if I'd like to wait 1.5 hours, I can get my Oath Letter. I chose to have it mailed which the officer said will take 7-10 days.

Now, just awaiting the Oath Letter. Does anyone know how long the oath ceremony is scheduled after the interview? I'm currently 7.5 months pregnant, due at the end of January but I think this baby might be coming earlier than that. Would hate to re-schedule the ceremony.

It has a been a long journey getting to this point. Good luck to everyone and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! :no:

ROC

05-18-13 90-day window starts

06-07-13 (Day 0) Mailed I-751 to VSC, filed 23 days after window

06-10-13 (Day 3) VSC received package (according to USPS Signature Confirmation)

06-14-13 (Day 7) Check cashed

06-15-13 (Day 8) NOA received; dated 6-11-13

06-20-13 (Day 13) Received Biometrics

07-15-13 (Day 25) Biometrics appointment

08-22-13 (Day 62) File transferred from VSC to CSC

09-05-13 (Day 76) Touched

10-10-13 (Day 111) RoC approved!

10-15-13 (Day 116) Received I-797 approval letter

10-28-13 (Day 129) Received 10 yr PRC

N400

05-18-14 90 day window starts

06-10-14 N400 mailed Priority Mail w/ Sig Conf)

06-13-14 Application delivered

06-18-14 Check cashed

06-23-14 Received NOA (dated June 17, 2014)

06-23-14 Biometrics letter sent

06-26-14 Received Biometrics

07-07-14 Biometrics appointment

07-18-14 Placed in-line for interview

08-04-14 Received yellow letter

10-15-14 Scheduled for interview (rec'd email)

10-18-14 Received Interview Letter

11-24-14 Interview Date (PASSED!)

12-01-14 Scheduled for oath (rec'd email & text)

12-02-14 Oath letter rec'd by mail

12-11-14 Oath ceremony & finally a US Citizen!

:dancing::no::thumbs::rolleyes::dance::jest::star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.