drenie_elyonie

Bumming out, productively.

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Three months of sitting on the couch is doing me no good .

Some days I just get lost in my previous life, the life where I could go anywhere and anytime I want without worrying about not having a car or a bus pass, or seeing my bank account depleted because hey, it gets replenished every 15th and 30th of the month anyway.

I know that, right now, I'm luckier than most. I have a husband who has a job that earns more than enough for the two of us, an apartment, and a little bit of money to spend on clothes and food. I'm within walking distance of filipino/asian groceries, my dentist and doctor, and Jollibee. I have Netflix! (totally worth the $7.99/month) Last week, my EAD card just arrived, which means I can now start sending out the hundreds of resumes I can probably expect to send out before finding a job.

Sometimes , though, I just wonder what's in store for me here. I hope you don't think I'm being too negative! I look forward to getting a job, driving our car, and especially building our little family. I can''t wait to start! I miss being busy, having very little time to wonder what happens next, and just plowing through the minutes and hours just accomplishing the next task that needs to be done. I miss being at work, doing overtime (yes! you read that right) and barely having enough time to eat lunch. This new life of not knowing what to expect next is exciting, scary and discouraging, all in one.

Do I do the laundry today? Do I take the bus to the mall and, do what exactly? Do I finally have enough courage to do some volunteering on my own? Should I maybe visit the library and try being productive there? What's on Netflix? Should I maybe cook dinner now, even though it's only 11am? Why am I so lazy???

The first few weeks I really tried being productive. I hated just sitting in front of the tv, and one night my husband said to me, "do you really have to clean the stove every single day?". Oops.

After a few weeks, I was running out of things to do around the house. I filled my days with doctors appointments, dentists appointments, furniture hunting on craigslist, and practicing my coding (programming) skills. When I got my learner's permit, I immediately called a driving instructor and got myself driving lessons. I even resorted to knitting. The unfinished scarf is still sitting on the shelf.

I realize, however, that I couldn't let all of this make me depressed. I'm really very thankful that everything in our immigration journey has gone smoothly so far. I also could not overlook the blessing of my husband's job (he's in the US navy) and that we can afford many of life's simple joys. And even though I miss my family and friends back at home, they're just a skype call away! So even though I get sad or worried about getting a job and adjusting to life in the US, know that this is just a phase and it, too, shall pass.

How about you, how are you adjusting to life here? What coping mechanisms did you find useful? How's the job search going? What shows do you watch on netfix? :P I hope you enjoyed reading about my little progress report! Hope to hear yours :)

I live in San Diego (National City) and would be happy to meet anyone near our area! But, I don't have a job yet, so no expensive lunch or dinner meetups, ok? :))

05/24/2103 - NOA1 (CSC)

05/29/2013 - A Number changed - May 29, 2013

RFE - none!

08/22/2013 - NOA2!

09/30/2013 - NVC assigned our case number

11/18/2013 - Visa Interview!! - APPROVED!

11/25/2013 - Visa ready for pickup

11/26/2013 - Visa in hand!

1/26/2014 - MNL to LAX flight =)

AOS Journey:

02/27/2014 - AOS and EAD NOA1

03/25/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

05/14/2014 - EAD approved!

05/17/2014 - EAD card received

09/02/2014 - Got my driver's license!

...still waiting for AOS approval :)

I'm the beneficiary smile.png goofy.gif smile.png

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can relate. Hahahaha. Although our kids keep me busy, still there are times when I get really bored. I don't watch TV soaps back home, but now I do (Kapamilya and Kapuso) just to let time pass. :rofl:

Timeline

I can relate. Hahahaha. Although our kids keep me busy, still there are times when I get really bored. I don't watch TV soaps back home, but now I do (Kapamilya and Kapuso) just to let time pass. :rofl:

apple21, we don't have cable! I've been contemplating on whether to get cable just to have tfc, but meh, it's too expensive. I'll probably get cable once I have a job! Lucky you for being able to watch pinoy shows! Sometimes just watching filipino shows makes me miss home less :)

05/24/2103 - NOA1 (CSC)

RFE - none!

08/22/2013 - NOA2!

AOS Journey:

Watch Breaking Bad on Netflix. Totally worth splurging your time on. :) Read the reviews.

In my case, I am glad that I still get to work on projects assigned to me by my previous employer but sometimes I wonder if I will be able (or if I would even want to) work outside the home. It helps that my husband works from home so I always have company. But like you, I really miss being able to just go anywhere I want.

Hang in there. Give yourself time to adjust. Before you know it, your new "normal" will grow on you. God bless you! :)

Timeline

Korek, cable is crazy expensive here! But somehow, its worth it. Eat Bulaga is my fave show on earth... then Game of Thrones. :content:

Timeline

Watch Breaking Bad on Netflix. Totally worth splurging your time on. :) Read the reviews.

In my case, I am glad that I still get to work on projects assigned to me by my previous employer but sometimes I wonder if I will be able (or if I would even want to) work outside the home. It helps that my husband works from home so I always have company. But like you, I really miss being able to just go anywhere I want.

Hang in there. Give yourself time to adjust. Before you know it, your new "normal" will grow on you. God bless you! :)

Oh yeah I watch that too! Nakakadepress haha the episodes are always shocking :)) i think i'm on the fifth season now. I also watch once upon a time, scandal, bones, and those tlc reality shows. Right now i'm watching Out of the Wild. It's like Survivor but there's no prize and no voting off. Pure survival! No crazy superficial drama haha. Anyways, you're lucky you get to keep working, and from home too. Ang hirap mag commute dito! Miss ko na mag jeep lang papunta sa malls...i hope i get my driver's license soon :) thanks for the encouragement! God bless you too!

05/24/2103 - NOA1 (CSC)

RFE - none!

08/22/2013 - NOA2!

AOS Journey:

Timeline

Korek, cable is crazy expensive here! But somehow, its worth it. Eat Bulaga is my fave show on earth... then Game of Thrones. :content:

apple21 i'm kapamilya eh LOL. Filipinas i know here always ask me if i've watched the recent episode of The Legal Wife :)) i'm embarrassed sometimes since i don't watch it so i try to keep up by watching the shows off the internet :D

05/24/2103 - NOA1 (CSC)

RFE - none!

08/22/2013 - NOA2!

AOS Journey:

Timeline

apple21 i'm kapamilya eh LOL. Filipinas i know here always ask me if i've watched the recent episode of The Legal Wife :)) i'm embarrassed sometimes since i don't watch it so i try to keep up by watching the shows off the internet :D

I watch Showtime too. :lol:

I totally hear you on trying to be not too idle and staying pre-occupied. What with our routines, busy lifestyles and gym memberships in Manila... all gone!
Have you tried checking online courses yet? There are some free ones like Coursera. I have also been volunteering in our little community here. And haven't had my DL yet, so I have to bike myself around, and yeah, no buses and trains (and jeeps :D ). Can't go too far though.

Oooohhh yes, done on Breaking Bad and How I met your mother. Still keeping up with Game of Thrones. Gained a lot of weight already being a couch potato for at least 4 hours day! :lol:

Congrats on getting your EAD! I am anticipating for mine as well .. Soon, I hope. Happy job hunting to us!

Edited by sweet cakes

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Timeline

I already have my CA driver's license but not my own car yet so I still take the bus and train. Lucky here in L.A. commuting is easy.

In June I will take a one day class on Bookkeeping. Its a pre-requisite on the program QuickBooks that I really want to learn but the QB classes I and II will start on July pa. They are both one day classes as well.

I found those courses on the Los Angeles City College Community Services periodical (like a mini-magazine). Tuition is $115/class only.

Buti na rin mag-aral ulit. I need to brush-up on my basic Accounting since I graduated years ago na (lola levels). :D

Edited by apple21

Whoah. The Legal Wife! No comment din ako whenever they post on FB. Hahaha.

I watch Showtime too. :lol:

Nakaka-miss din pala kahit mga corny na jokes sa noontime shows, Apple! It's the type of humor that we're so used to.

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

N-400

I already have my CA driver's license but not my own car yet so I still take the bus and train. Lucky here in L.A. commuting is easy.

In June I will take a one day class on Bookkeeping. Its a pre-requisite on the program QuickBooks that I really want to learn but the QB classes I and II will start on July pa. They are both one day classes as well.

I found those courses on the Los Angeles City College Community Services periodical (like a mini-magazine). Tuition is $115/class only.

Buti na rin mag-aral ulit. I need to brush-up on my basic Accounting since I graduated years ago na (lola levels). :D

Wow! I hope to get my DL within 2 months too. Can't really go around here in a suburb without a car (parang sa probinsya B-) ). I heard madaming Filipino communities in LA and San Diego. Sometimes, I wish we're also at the west coast. Hahaha.

Great to hear of your plans, Apple. So nice that the husband is supportive too. I have started building a network in Linkedin, etc. I still feel insecure sometimes, being a newbie and all. I just have to remind myself every now and then that I'm not the only immigrant around here who needs to start from scratch.

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Three months of sitting on the couch is doing me no good .

Some days I just get lost in my previous life, the life where I could go anywhere and anytime I want without worrying about not having a car or a bus pass, or seeing my bank account depleted because hey, it gets replenished every 15th and 30th of the month anyway.

I know that, right now, I'm luckier than most. I have a husband who has a job that earns more than enough for the two of us, an apartment, and a little bit of money to spend on clothes and food. I'm within walking distance of filipino/asian groceries, my dentist and doctor, and Jollibee. I have Netflix! (totally worth the $7.99/month) Last week, my EAD card just arrived, which means I can now start sending out the hundreds of resumes I can probably expect to send out before finding a job.

Sometimes , though, I just wonder what's in store for me here. I hope you don't think I'm being too negative! I look forward to getting a job, driving our car, and especially building our little family. I can''t wait to start! I miss being busy, having very little time to wonder what happens next, and just plowing through the minutes and hours just accomplishing the next task that needs to be done. I miss being at work, doing overtime (yes! you read that right) and barely having enough time to eat lunch. This new life of not knowing what to expect next is exciting, scary and discouraging, all in one.

Do I do the laundry today? Do I take the bus to the mall and, do what exactly? Do I finally have enough courage to do some volunteering on my own? Should I maybe visit the library and try being productive there? What's on Netflix? Should I maybe cook dinner now, even though it's only 11am? Why am I so lazy???

The first few weeks I really tried being productive. I hated just sitting in front of the tv, and one night my husband said to me, "do you really have to clean the stove every single day?". Oops.

After a few weeks, I was running out of things to do around the house. I filled my days with doctors appointments, dentists appointments, furniture hunting on craigslist, and practicing my coding (programming) skills. When I got my learner's permit, I immediately called a driving instructor and got myself driving lessons. I even resorted to knitting. The unfinished scarf is still sitting on the shelf.

I realize, however, that I couldn't let all of this make me depressed. I'm really very thankful that everything in our immigration journey has gone smoothly so far. I also could not overlook the blessing of my husband's job (he's in the US navy) and that we can afford many of life's simple joys. And even though I miss my family and friends back at home, they're just a skype call away! So even though I get sad or worried about getting a job and adjusting to life in the US, know that this is just a phase and it, too, shall pass.

How about you, how are you adjusting to life here? What coping mechanisms did you find useful? How's the job search going? What shows do you watch on netfix? :P I hope you enjoyed reading about my little progress report! Hope to hear yours :)

I live in San Diego (National City) and would be happy to meet anyone near our area! But, I don't have a job yet, so no expensive lunch or dinner meetups, ok? :))

My fiance is also in the US Navy! :) Maybe one day we'll be stationed in the same city/state. Once I get the visa, we'll be in Virginia for a year, then who knows maybe San Diego!

I am also worried about finding a job... even though I know my fiance can provide for both of us, I like keeping busy. Staying at home all day is not my cup of tea. Are you Filipino? :) Im French-Filipino and fiance is Filipino.

Edited by sweetgal8

*** I am the beneficiary ***

laB4m4.png

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2014-02-10

NOA1 : 2014-02-18

NOA2 USCIS Notification - Hardcopy : 2014-08-11 (174 days)

Case received by NVC: 2014-08-15

Case number assigned: 2014-08-27

Case left NVC to consulate: 2014-08-28

Received by consulate: 2014-09-08

Received Packet 3: 2014-09-12

Sent Packet 3: 2014-12-05

Received Packet 4: 2014-12-11

Medical: 2015-01-19

Interview Date: 2015-02-06 (APPROVED)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

oh and I don't drive... it's really easy to take the subway and bus here in Canada (Montreal).. it's actually quicker than driving. I don't have a driver's license.. which worries me because I will need to one when I move to the U.S. :(

*** I am the beneficiary ***

laB4m4.png

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2014-02-10

NOA1 : 2014-02-18

NOA2 USCIS Notification - Hardcopy : 2014-08-11 (174 days)

Case received by NVC: 2014-08-15

Case number assigned: 2014-08-27

Case left NVC to consulate: 2014-08-28

Received by consulate: 2014-09-08

Received Packet 3: 2014-09-12

Sent Packet 3: 2014-12-05

Received Packet 4: 2014-12-11

Medical: 2015-01-19

Interview Date: 2015-02-06 (APPROVED)

Timeline

I totally hear you on trying to be not too idle and staying pre-occupied. What with our routines, busy lifestyles and gym memberships in Manila... all gone!

Have you tried checking online courses yet? There are some free ones like Coursera. I have also been volunteering in our little community here. And haven't had my DL yet, so I have to bike myself around, and yeah, no buses and trains (and jeeps :D ). Can't go too far though.

Oooohhh yes, done on Breaking Bad and How I met your mother. Still keeping up with Game of Thrones. Gained a lot of weight already being a couch potato for at least 4 hours day! :lol:

Congrats on getting your EAD! I am anticipating for mine as well .. Soon, I hope. Happy job hunting to us!

Hi sweet cakes! Biking sounds nice! I do try taking the bus whenever i can, and jog/walk in the early mornings since it's the only chance I can get some exercise. I do volunteering too, since my husband sometimes has to volunteer on the weekends. I want to do more meaningful volunteer projects since the ones we go to are usually just marathons and family events where the only hard parts are picking up chairs and tables :P

I haven't tried coursera yet, thanks for suggesting! I'll try that tomorrow :) yeah, being a couch potato is no fun and it's getting harder to fit into my old clothes as the days go by haha. Definitely need to have a regular exercise regimen! Soon we'll be going to interviews and looking like a bum is not going to impress the potential employers :))

Good luck to us!

05/24/2103 - NOA1 (CSC)

RFE - none!

08/22/2013 - NOA2!

AOS Journey:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.