sam416

Comparable education

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello everyone,

Is there a reliable US government website which lists comparable high school/secondary school education of other countries that are approved by the US government as equivalent to a US high school?

Also, in the DS-260 form, it seems to ask only for education you have completed at a secondary level. Does that mean we skip primary education and do not mention it on the form? If that's the case, how would they know that the applicant has completed a 12-year course of primary and secondary education and therefore meets the minimum education requirements?

I would appreciate your input guys especially the senior members who have been helping out everyone.

Thanks,

Sam

No there is no list of comparable education - but you can get that from your local consulate.

I didn't fill in my primary school and got my visa so...no. Remember the guideline is that it has to be equivalent to US 12 years not exactly 12 years of education (so for example in the UK system you need A-levels and 12 years is not sufficient as that only takes you it AS levels) the criterion is basically that it has to be enough it get you into university/college. So things like vocational school do not meet the requirements even if you have spent 12 years at school.

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks a lot for your input SusieQQQ. I really appreciate it.

I'm currently doing a PhD and have a graduate diploma and a master degree in addition to my secondary school certificate which is recognized in many countries (including many American universities) as sufficient to get me into university. However, I couldn't find a US legit source to confirm that. The reason I'm digging into this is that I'm currently in Malaysia which is not my home country. My secondary school certificate is from my home country and I got a letter from my embassy here in Malaysia confirming that I successfully graduated from secondary school which was a 12-year course of study comprised of 9 primary and 3 secondary years of education.

I know for a fact that my secondary school is recognized as equivalent to a US high school because my close friend won the DV2014 and all he had was the secondary school from back home and the US embassy back home approved his visa. However, given that I will be interviewed in Malaysia where I'm assuming ( I could be wrong) they won't have a solid idea about what a secondary school certificate from another country is equivalent to (unlike the US embassy back home who are well versed with documents of that country).

Frankly, this whole month (ever since I learned that I was selected) has been very exhausting, both emotionally and mentally and I'm kinda putting too much hope into this that I don't wanna lose!

I'm just trying to be as well prepared as I could be. Am I just thinking it too much when I shouldn't be?

There are some picky COs who insist on seeing a high school diploma even if you have university degrees. Some want to see highest qualification only. Mine wanted to see my high school diploma and my masters degree (but not the bachelors inbetween!)

...anyway...so your university stuff might be fine, if the CO needs to check your high school they can check it with your country embassy if necessary. I wouldn't stress about this at all ;) ...save your energy for the other stressful stuff :D

The thing with this is... It's all SOOOOOOOO stressful... You stress about every little thing...and then one day you are past POE and entering the US as a permanent resident and ...you look back and it was all so darn easy, apart from the interminable waits, and you can't figure out why on earth you stressed so much about everything :D

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

The thing with this is... It's all SOOOOOOOO stressful... You stress about every little thing...and then one day you are past POE and entering the US as a permanent resident and ...you look back and it was all so darn easy, apart from the interminable waits, and you can't figure out why on earth you stressed so much about everything :D

I must admit. I struggle with the stress of this all.

Every day, I fret about something new. Did we do the photos right in the initial registration. Did we get any dates wrong on the initial registration?

I know we will get the DS260 right because we're taking our time and thinking about each question and making sure our dates are spot on (even to the point where I have obtained certificates of service from each of my former employers verifying dates of employment and we're making sure our vaccinations are up to date) and our lawyer is very helpful.

But still, many of my days are spent like this: :unsure: :unsure:

Timeline

I must admit. I struggle with the stress of this all.

Every day, I fret about something new. Did we do the photos right in the initial registration. Did we get any dates wrong on the initial registration?

I know we will get the DS260 right because we're taking our time and thinking about each question and making sure our dates are spot on (even to the point where I have obtained certificates of service from each of my former employers verifying dates of employment and we're making sure our vaccinations are up to date) and our lawyer is very helpful.

But still, many of my days are spent like this: :unsure: :unsure:

I wish I'd taken a screenshot before submitting my entry. I was super-careful but I always have this nagging feeling I mis-typed something and it would be great to double - check.

Timeline

I'm with you guestgulkan.

I know we were super careful (aside from us missing a second middle name but that is fixable I believe) but, without a reference point (like a screen shot), I worry.

Then I read the forms and see missteps others have made and a niggling voice in my head says 'Are you sure you did that part right'.

As Suzie said, the long periods of waiting have been / are / will continue to feel like long prison stretches! It's almost like cabin fever in that doubt becomes a self-perpetuating cycle. Without something useful to do, I sit and think of everything that can go wrong!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.