ivan.escalona

SSN & Entering the US for the first time since Visa approval

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hello fellow Visajourneyers!! Wife and I got our visas on April 8th 2014 and we are all set to go to the US. I'm from Venezuela and I came to Mexico with her since she is Mexican and has her job here. I will be entering the US first and she will come in September. We got our Visas through DV Lottery 2014, she is DV02 and Im DV01

1) Our Visas expire on October 2014, does this mean we can get to the US the first time before this date and everything will be in order? I have heard from people that you have to enter before Medical Exams expire or something like that, but we had our medical exams for February which means we would have to enter the US before certain date of August, is this true? or false? Mind you the whole reason we had our interview rescheduled from february to April in the first place was because the information of the www.dvselectee.gov site was one and the information from the people in the embassy was different so... Any experience from anyone on this particular one?

2) The important one on SSN (Social Security Number): I checked the box of "I want the government to make arrangements for me to get a Social Security Number", can this be changed a Port of Entry (like the Address for the Greencard to be sent)?

3) If I can change this and can in fact go and get my SNN by myself by going to the office with the passport and the Seal in the Immigrant Visa, can this be done as soon as I get in the US? Like... arriving on the 3rd and going on June 4th? Or do I still have to wait for some time to be able to apply for SSN?

Thanks in advance people! You rock! :)

PS: Already pay the 165$ immigration fee for both of us!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

1. yup - entry only governed by VISA expiration date - nothing more.

2. assume nothing - chase the SSN application at a SSA office 3.5 to 4 weeks after POE date

3. must wait for your arrival record and stuff to get updated in the SAVE database - is currently between 3.5 to 4 weeks from POE date. Might change later...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Hello fellow Visajourneyers!! Wife and I got our visas on April 8th 2014 and we are all set to go to the US. I'm from Venezuela and I came to Mexico with her since she is Mexican and has her job here. I will be entering the US first and she will come in September. We got our Visas through DV Lottery 2014, she is DV02 and Im DV01

1) Our Visas expire on October 2014, does this mean we can get to the US the first time before this date and everything will be in order? I have heard from people that you have to enter before Medical Exams expire or something like that, but we had our medical exams for February which means we would have to enter the US before certain date of August, is this true? or false? Mind you the whole reason we had our interview rescheduled from february to April in the first place was because the information of the www.dvselectee.gov site was one and the information from the people in the embassy was different so... Any experience from anyone on this particular one?

2) The important one on SSN (Social Security Number): I checked the box of "I want the government to make arrangements for me to get a Social Security Number", can this be changed a Port of Entry (like the Address for the Greencard to be sent)?

3) If I can change this and can in fact go and get my SNN by myself by going to the office with the passport and the Seal in the Immigrant Visa, can this be done as soon as I get in the US? Like... arriving on the 3rd and going on June 4th? Or do I still have to wait for some time to be able to apply for SSN?

Thanks in advance people! You rock! :)

PS: Already pay the 165$ immigration fee for both of us!

Re 1. I had heard this too and specifically asked our consular official. He said: if there is a problem with the medical expiry we will shorten the visa expiry date. The date on the visa is the date you worry about.

2. You can, but I'm not sure why you would want to. Most SSN cards arrive 1-2 weeks after entry. You are still able to go to the office and get the actual number even having checked the box. I doubt you'd get the physical card any sooner by doing it all yourself.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

So your answers for number 2 and 3 are basically: "don't ask for the box to be unchecked cause you will still have to wait some time to get your SSN even if you do that?

Thanks for the reply!

Timeline

Thanks as usual Susie for your quick and accurate response...

I know what you are saying, but I have been told by several people they were having troubles when they checked the box, since they have told them "It will arrive to your email on 21 days" then nothing happens and when they call they tell them they dont have records of their application and that they should go to a local office to file the application again, and this application is quick and they get it in no time.

Of course we all want the SSN as fast as we can since without it we are basically tourists and with it we can start all the necessary government errands to be able to apply for jobs, driver's license, open bank accounts, etc. So thats why I was asking. If I can uncheck the box and go to the office to apply for the SSN, say, the next day upon my arrival (June 4th arriving on June 3rd), can I go to the office and will they accept my application? Or do I still have to wait for some more time before I can go to apply?

I don't think the physical card would be important for job applications and all other things, so that can wait, but I do want to know if its better to have it done by myself or if its the same as letting them do it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

no - what governs your SSN application process at the local SSA office

is

your existence in the SAVE database.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Thanks as usual Susie for your quick and accurate response...

I know what you are saying, but I have been told by several people they were having troubles when they checked the box, since they have told them "It will arrive to your email on 21 days" then nothing happens and when they call they tell them they dont have records of their application and that they should go to a local office to file the application again, and this application is quick and they get it in no time.

Of course we all want the SSN as fast as we can since without it we are basically tourists and with it we can start all the necessary government errands to be able to apply for jobs, driver's license, open bank accounts, etc. So thats why I was asking. If I can uncheck the box and go to the office to apply for the SSN, say, the next day upon my arrival (June 4th arriving on June 3rd), can I go to the office and will they accept my application? Or do I still have to wait for some more time before I can go to apply?

I don't think the physical card would be important for job applications and all other things, so that can wait, but I do want to know if its better to have it done by myself or if its the same as letting them do it.

Don't uncheck the box. Leave it checked, and then after you arrive pop into a SS office and check that it's in the system and ask for the number. If it isn't in the system get the ball rolling. I don't see how doing it yourself can speed up the process if you do it this way. At best it's the same amount of time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.