deadbird

About to start K-1 process

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ok...so my fiance and I met when he was in the US and attending my high school from 1999-2001. We began dating in Jan. 2001, and he returned to Egypt in August 2001 and I haven't seen him since. We called our relationship off while we were in college, and now we're back together...

I will be going to Egypt to visit him again this March 22, but do I have to wait until after I return to file the i129F and so I can prove we've met?

I know because he was in the US for an extended period of time this complicates things a bit, and he was not an exchange student. I should know what visa he had when he was here but at the moment I don't because I never really needed to know until now.

Divorced. To hell with him.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It's required that you have met within 2 years when you file your petition and you have to have 'proof' of that meeting. Wait till your trip in March (I'd bring everything with you so he can sign everything then), come back and then file.

Best of luck!

Id wait till after you return from your visit in March so you can submit proof ( plane tickets, boarding passes, passport stamps, recent photos, etc... ) of having met in the two years prior to filing the petition.

Edited by roymcn3rd

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You will need to sow proof that you have met within the past two years. I would think that since you don't having anything showing you were together in the past two years, you may want to wait until you return from your trip. At that point you will have pics, your passport stamps, boarding passes and things of that nature.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sounds like you're lucky;

1) You know each other well and want to marry. You don't have to wait to see how you are together.

2) You are here and know what to do to save time and mailing for when you go there.

March is a month and a half away. Almost enough time to get everything together to file and even interview. Except for the things that need to be recently done before the interview ie; passport style pics, medical & police report.

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

I hope he didn't overstay his visa in 2001...................Ken

04/19/2006 - met for the first time

01/12/2007 - sent I-129f to Nebraska

01/22/2007 - NOA1

04/20/2007 - NOA2

07/20/2007- Interview in Moscow

09/19/2007- Married

01/25/2008- AOS package mailed

08/27/2008-Interview-approved

09/10/2008-GC received

08/21/2010-10yr green card received

love is where you find it, even if it is a half a world away

Wait till you get back. For the K-1, you need to have met in person in the previous two years.

When you fill out the I-129F, you'll notice it's possible to get this requirement waived if there's 'extreme hardship' or religious reasons. The likelihood of this being approved is so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so small (especially with a planned trip to go there), so just ignore that.

Honestly, if you decided to apply this very second it would probably take you a couple weeks to get all the info together anyway. So you're not losing all that much time.

So. What to do? Here's what I'd do. In the meantime, browse around and learn as much about the process that you can. Collect the information and evidence you'll need for the forms (check on the guidelines). Order a copy of your birth certificate. Check out the Middle East and North Africa forum; there's lots of lovely ladies there with Egyptian fiancés who can give you advice.

While you're there, take photographs of the two of you together. Keep receipts, boarding passes, hotel receipts, passport stamps: anything 'third-party' that can place you in Egypt. Get everything that needs his input filled out and signed. (Again, the guides are super helpful.)

Good luck!

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you so much for the replies & advice! I will wait till I return, just being on the board and seeing all the other people who are waiting is soooo comforting :). He's going to start getting all his records in order and he did not over stay his visa in 2001 (fantastic!) We're so excited!!

Divorced. To hell with him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.