49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

The doctors at Knightsbridge tell you the worst case scenario. They scared me too in April about my results coming back negative and that I would not travel to the US but somehow it all worked out for the better and now I'm going

That's awesome, congratulations!

2014-05-08 Sent I-129f
2014-05-12 I-129f received
2014-05-15 Received NOA1 email
2014-05-19 Received NOA1 hardcopy
2014-09-10 NOA2 Approved
2014-09-30 Package Left from NVC
2014-10-06 Received by Embassy
2014-10-31 Interview, Approved.
2014-11-03 Picked up visa.
2014-12-25 POE Ft. Lauderdale

2015-01-02 Wedding

---AOS---

2015-01-09 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

2015-01-12 AOS package received

2015-01-14 Email received: Case accepted and routed

2015-01-15 Check cashed

2015-01-20 Received NOAs in the mail

2015-02-07 Received Biometrics letter in the mail

2015-02-19 Biometrics Appt in Raleigh office.

2015-03-13 EAD and AP approved

2015-03-19 EAD and AP sent

2015-03-21 Received EAD/AP combo card

2015-03-26 Received 2nd Biometrics appointment for Charlotte office

2015-04-08 2nd Biometrics

2015-06-15 Received NPIW dated 06-11

2015-08-01 Green Card Approved

2015-08-03 Welcome Letter Mailed

2015-08-07 Welcome Letter Received

2015-08-22 Card Mailed

2015-08-26 Card Received

2015-11-20 Enlisted in the USMC

2016-02-16 Shipping date to bootcamp

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Remember this is not even up to the doctors to let you slide for past drug use. They have marching orders from the State Department as to what is acceptable and what is not. The technical orders specify that drug use is a Class A illness, except that it says that one single experimental use of marijuana is not. That is where this is coming from, not from these doctors.

The federal government here is hell on drug use, even marijuana. Most states will hit you with a fine at most if they catch you smoking pot. Some states have even legalized it. But the Feds are hell. If a Federal Ranger catches you smoking pot in a National Park, your butt will get locked up and you will get hit with Federal drug charges. I know some Rangers personally so believe me I am not making this up.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Got my email that my interview is scheduled for the two weeks from now, still waiting for confirmation in the post....I'm rather nervous when I start thinking about it :huh:

I spoke to the Dr. at Knights-bridge yesterday, they were a little vague on what is going to happen. It wasn't actually the Dr, maybe a receptionist assistant of some sort. She mentioned something about me undertaking some further drug screening on my paperwork, when I probed her about how long?, she said its best if you wait for the interview and the consular will give more information.

I asked her if my notes say anything about a 1 year ban. She said no. It looks like 6 months is what has been advised, but that is the panel of doctors advice to the Embassy. She said the consular has a right to follow this advice or they can choose the length of the ban.

To put into perspective I think the minimum ban is 6 months for me. The maximum (judging on this forum) could be a year. This is relevant to my case, I know everyone's case is different, and the panel of physicians look at each case subjectively.

From what it seems, its ultimately the discretion of the consular. Hopefully the consular does not override the doctors advice and lengthen the ban to a year. I asked for clarity all they said was the length of the ban starts from your last medical date. So its either November 2014 or May 2015 before I get my approval on the medical side..

Urine, X ray and Blood all came back fine by the way. No abnormalities was the phrase they used.

My girlfriend is actually in town for a few weeks (Teachers have the best summer holidays), so she is there for support. I scheduled her in the interview as well, and the Embassy sent me a confirmation email to say that it is OK. Anyone have any history of bring there fiancée to the interview or seen any posts with that topic. Seems like there's nothing on Google.

Fingers crossed for a smooth interview.

Thanks for everyone input. You guys are keeping me sane.

Timeline

You may consider voluntarily going to a reputable drug counselor of your choosing and bringing a report to the CO which says the counselor found no signs of any drug dependency or recent drug abuse.

This is not just to show that you don't do drugs anymore, it is also to be proactive and anxious to show the CO that you now have a clean life and have had one for quite some time.

Timeline

AI422, I had the same idea, but was talked out of this.

I was speaking to my girlfriend and personal doctor about this also.

She said the panel have already made up there mind (the 6 month ban I hope)...and is adament I should just bear with it, and peform the random drug sampling until I get the all clear on the medical front.

She seems to think that if I do too much, in terms of character references and letter from a drug counselor then it seems like I might be trying to hard to hide something and be manufacturing my own profile. (maybe overthinking the scenerio too much)(but a respectable arguement none the less)(because I can see what she means)

To my shock my personal doctor (for 20 years) also agreed. I asked for a similar letter, he said if the embassy do not request anything then why show them a letter? One again, saying they may well possibly judge you even more and think you are trying to hide something.

I guess its really 'in the air' on which way I should go about it. So this is what I have done.

I have circled yes on the ds160 to abusing drugs/being a drug addict.

My medical report shows I circled yes.

The panel of physicions have evaluated my case and this has been put forward to the embassy. No idea what they have wrote but I hope nothing to bad.

I am pretty sure I will get asked from the consular about this, so I will just provide the same explanation that I gave the Dr. at the medical.

And then hope for the best possible outcome.

Since you have brought up the topic, I think I may get the letters and go against what advice I was given previously. Because its 2-2 now. Into extra time we go.....

Timeline

It is not like you are showing them idle praise. That was why I recommended a reputable drug counseling program, one they know does real medical evaluations and doesn't just heap idle praise on their patients to impress somebody.

Good luck to you either way.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks everyone again for your input...I just wanted to keep everyone updated on my interview.

So it went a lot better then expected. The consular had no idea about my medical though which was a little worrying.
So for everyones attention who may be going through a similar process, I wasnt denied a visa, but just told to submit the medical paperwork as soon as I get it.

I guess the doctors havent forwarded a complete medical file to the embassy, so when I was asked to provide the usual paperwork she said everything is fine, but because they couldnt find the medical I couldnt get the visa. She did say she would have loved to give me one, and said I was pretty sure to get one when my six month random drug testing is done.

My only worries now are to see if I have to do the interview again, or just give my passport via the courier and then wait for the visa stamp.

Just have to wait to hear back from the Dr. at Knightsbridge for their protocal. Six months until I get to see my fiance again.....Not tooo bad.

I hope any forum members or passers by find this information useful.

Timeline

Having to report for another interview should be the least of your worries. For now just do as the doctor wants. No doubt you will pass all drug tests and have no further problems. If you have to interview again, just do it. This is the fastest path to your visa.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just a bump on this.any updates? I noticed that the medical came first before the application of ds160?

In the philippines is the other way around. Ds160 first before the medical. In my case, i answered no in the ds160 when asked if i have ever been a drug abuser/addict which is the truth. But when asked by the doctor if I have ever tried marijuana in my entire life I said yes because it is the truth having puffed marijuana once in my entire life. Is this tantamount to inconsistency in the eyes of the CO?

Timeline

just stay strong

April 15, 2014 : I-129F Package Sent

April 19, 2014 : I-129F Package Delivery Confirmation via USPS

April 24, 2014 - NOA1 received via email/text

April 25, 2014 - Alien Registration Number changed

April 28, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail.

May 23, 2014 - RFE received in mail.

June 5, 2014 - Response to RFE Sent

June 11, 2014 - NOA2 Approval via website!!!

June 14, 2014 - NOA2 received in mail.

June 24, 2014 - NVC Case # via phone!

June 25, 2014 - NVC forwarded case to Embassy

June 26, 2014 - Embassy received case.

June 26, 2014 - NVC letter in mail.

August 4-5, 2014 - Medical

August 6, 2014 - CFO Seminar

August 13, 2014 - VIsa Interview (Expedited)

August 19, 2014 - VISA ready for pick up!

August 20, 2014 - Packet 3 Arrived

August 26, 2014 - POE!

August 26, 2014 - Notice to schedule an Interview...

October 23, 2014 - AOS/EAD Package Sent

October 30, 2014 - NOA1 via website

November 1, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail

November 6, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled in mail

November 19, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment

Timeline

Just a bump on this.any updates? I noticed that the medical came first before the application of ds160?

In the philippines is the other way around. Ds160 first before the medical. In my case, i answered no in the ds160 when asked if i have ever been a drug abuser/addict which is the truth. But when asked by the doctor if I have ever tried marijuana in my entire life I said yes because it is the truth having puffed marijuana once in my entire life. Is this tantamount to inconsistency in the eyes of the CO?

One single use more than 5 years ago? The doctor can (but does not have to) call that experimentation, not use. Experimentation is forgivable.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just want to clarify something. As long as you are no longer a drug abuser or addict, and can prove that without a doubt, you should be fine to get a visa.

There's no rule saying "if they tried anything more than marijuana one time they can never have a visa."

The key is being honest, and being able to prove that you don't use anymore.

In my medical I admitted to using more than marijuana and more than one time, but for me it all worked out in the end. If anyone wants to read about my story, you can check it out here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/466188-past-mental-health-and-drug-use-problems/ or message me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.