ajames79

Fav. all time food and drink in the UK

161 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Surprisingly (for a desi) Vegetable Stroganoff (a lot of restaurants in UK actually have it on the menu--in the US, the word "Stroganoff" is ALMOST ALWAYS associated with "beef").

Wow, interesting. I used to love beef strognoff when I was a kid. Now that I am veg(and practicing Hindu), no way. I'll bet it would be good with paneer, actually. I might try that.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Robinson's No Added Sugar Apple and Blackcurrant. In fact, I miss ALL squash/cordial. You just can't get it here. All the equivalent drinks are pre mixed and FULL of sugar. I have managed to find one that isn't, but it IS a rarity.

The classic bacon sandwich, Im told Irish bacon in America is similar

Scottish or English fry up breakfast, easily made at home

Fish and Chips, still on the look out for a good one in our part of Virginia

Sunday roast dinner, including yorkshire puddings, also easily made at home

Indian Food, I've seen indian resturants in the US, just not so many

Fray Bentos pies, I hope to find some of those over there soon

Drinks wise, I like jack and coke anyway :lol:

So do you make any of those things at home!? Besides the Jack and Coke?? :)

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Robinson's No Added Sugar Apple and Blackcurrant. In fact, I miss ALL squash/cordial. You just can't get it here. All the equivalent drinks are pre mixed and FULL of sugar. I have managed to find one that isn't, but it IS a rarity.

never was a soda girl myself.

But when I am over in Feb I am going to look for the no sugar apple and blackcurrent. Sounds yummy!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Actually on second thought, the bevvy I miss the most is the Jersey & Guernsey milk from Tescos. You know the one where you open the bottle and there's a teensey bit of cream on the top? ommmmmmmmmmmmmG

Lisa that is so so sickly, :wacko: how can you drink it???? Now give me a good blue vodka and red bull and I am happy, as for food, chips and pudding with some lovely thick gravy and definitely not forgetting the mushy peas followed by a beautiful jam roly poly and custard :thumbs:

Not forgetting a good sized bowl of "Scouse" with red cabbage, lovely

Edited by munchkins

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

A hot chip butty made with white bread and lurpak butter so that the butter starts to melt, fantastic

thick white bread, toasted and with lurpak butter, love that butter but it is soooo bad for you :whistle:

Custard tarts

and Vanilla slices

home made mince pies with fresh cream and don't forget the scones with jam and cream, unforgettable :thumbs:

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

I have to stop coming back to this thread...it is making me hungry!

Would love a think slice of bread right now with some butter!! Yum

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Filed: Timeline
Actually on second thought, the bevvy I miss the most is the Jersey & Guernsey milk from Tescos. You know the one where you open the bottle and there's a teensey bit of cream on the top? ommmmmmmmmmmmmG

Lisa that is so so sickly, :wacko: how can you drink it???? Now give me a good blue vodka and red bull and I am happy, as for food, chips and pudding with some lovely thick gravy and definitely not forgetting the mushy peas followed by a beautiful jam roly poly and custard :thumbs:

Not forgetting a good sized bowl of "Scouse" with red cabbage, lovely

Val, I dunno...I was never ever a milk drinker until I drank that....I mean I never ate the cream on top, lol...but the milk underneath it was something I've never tasted before!

And the nutritional value on the one I used to get was not that fattening...v little fat grams, which always confused me cos it's so good!

A hot chip butty made with white bread and lurpak butter so that the butter starts to melt, fantastic

thick white bread, toasted and with lurpak butter, love that butter but it is soooo bad for you :whistle:

Custard tarts

and Vanilla slices

home made mince pies with fresh cream and don't forget the scones with jam and cream, unforgettable :thumbs:

I'm with you here for everything cept the custard tarts and vanilla slices...omG Val you have just made me sooooo effing hungry!

D's fave 'cheat' is scones with jam and cream...and he's sooo not a sweet eater, but you couldn't tell when it came to scones!

Choccie Choux buns from Asda :crying: mmm my fave!!!

humm gonna think on it..But I didn't want Lisa to get lonely making all these threads!! ;)

Well, in a truly British manner it HAS to be Fish & Chips, simply because they are VERY scarce here in the USA. I also miss a good curry though. Can't beat it: vegetable or prawn dhansak, pilau rice and a peshwari naan. Also a BIG fan of butter chicken. *drools*

We should have a drooly emoticon! :thumbs:

Drink wise? I rarely drink alcohol, when I do it tends to be wine which I can get over here. Otherwise it is soft drinks which are plentiful over here!

mags....I have re-created fish and chips..it is pretty darn close. We even had a big fish and chips night last time Chris was here! To be honest...as many times as I've gone over to England in the past 3 years I've not had a curry..Had a thai curry but and plenty of naan bread. But no indian. Not since I was 13. I will....in Feb. I promise

I love a good pint at the pub. I don't miss any drinks really. I like my drinks super cold, Chris family always keeps my Lemonade in the fridge for me...not typical for them!

You will HAVE to tell us all how to make your british chips which taste like chip shop chips! Looks like everyone on this post misses chips the most, me included. I swear when I go back I will have chips for dinner every night! lol Seriously though, how do you make them to taste like that? What kind of potatoes and what kind of oil do you make them in?

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

humm gonna think on it..But I didn't want Lisa to get lonely making all these threads!! ;)

Well, in a truly British manner it HAS to be Fish & Chips, simply because they are VERY scarce here in the USA. I also miss a good curry though. Can't beat it: vegetable or prawn dhansak, pilau rice and a peshwari naan. Also a BIG fan of butter chicken. *drools*

We should have a drooly emoticon! :thumbs:

Drink wise? I rarely drink alcohol, when I do it tends to be wine which I can get over here. Otherwise it is soft drinks which are plentiful over here!

mags....I have re-created fish and chips..it is pretty darn close. We even had a big fish and chips night last time Chris was here! To be honest...as many times as I've gone over to England in the past 3 years I've not had a curry..Had a thai curry but and plenty of naan bread. But no indian. Not since I was 13. I will....in Feb. I promise

I love a good pint at the pub. I don't miss any drinks really. I like my drinks super cold, Chris family always keeps my Lemonade in the fridge for me...not typical for them!

You will HAVE to tell us all how to make your british chips which taste like chip shop chips! Looks like everyone on this post misses chips the most, me included. I swear when I go back I will have chips for dinner every night! lol Seriously though, how do you make them to taste like that? What kind of potatoes and what kind of oil do you make them in?

Well to be honest I guess I have to admit that I did use frozen steak fries. But I found that if you cook them first..in oil. til they are almost done...then you cook the fish up...then slide the chips back in...it gives it the chippy flavour. Always let your fish rest on top of the chips as well...get the full grease affect! *smile*

I've done them a few times and honestly being that nothing is as good as a chippy...they are still pretty good.

It is a bit of a process for the cook. Much more fun to do it in small batches for you and your S/O.

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

living in Westside Los Angeles there are very few British foodstuffs that you can't get -- the British pubs do decent enough fish and chips, shepherd's pies, sunday roast and what have you. And the Indian food is proper Indian as opposed to "British Indian" (though you can get that too) so it's better than yer average curry house in the UK.

Never been a fan of the English breakfast - I miss American breakfasts in the UK

What I miss most is CHEESE. THe sharp cheddars, the stiltons, the creamy lancashires, red leicesters, sage derbys, windsor reds, etc etc

Nothing would make me happier than a trip to Neil's Yard cheese shop in London.

90day.jpg

living in Westside Los Angeles there are very few British foodstuffs that you can't get -- the British pubs do decent enough fish and chips, shepherd's pies, sunday roast and what have you. And the Indian food is proper Indian as opposed to "British Indian" (though you can get that too) so it's better than yer average curry house in the UK.

Never been a fan of the English breakfast - I miss American breakfasts in the UK

What I miss most is CHEESE. THe sharp cheddars, the stiltons, the creamy lancashires, red leicesters, sage derbys, windsor reds, etc etc

Nothing would make me happier than a trip to Neil's Yard cheese shop in London.

I miss cheese too. For our wedding I am having Stiltons, a Red Leichester, a Cottswold (which I am unfamilar with) and a few other cheeses.

Never was a fan of english breakfasts mainly because I don't really eat american ones either...

I do miss having a fantastic strawberry tart from Tesco for pudding!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

never was a soda girl myself.

But when I am over in Feb I am going to look for the no sugar apple and blackcurrent. Sounds yummy!

It isn't a soda. It is a highly concentrated fruit juice that you add one part of to eight parts water. The UK has cordial/squash everywhere. It is the second most popular drink after soda, for kids.

It is just nice because it isn't full of the additives ####### that you get over here in the USA.

Our local shop has Ribena and Robinsons there, until Gary showed me what it was i never knew what he was talking about when he asked for cordial.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.