ajames79

Fav. all time food and drink in the UK

161 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Just wondering if I can do some food shopping in the next few weeks, stuff I can take with me that will keep for a while, having ideas of just turning up with two suitcases full of food.

All the curry ingredients I can carry, a ton of Twix bars to freeze and eat while still frozen, Fair Trade tea bags, Green and Blacks chocolate, wheaten bread from my favourite bakery in Belfast, Heinz baked beans, HP chilli sauce.....

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if I can do some food shopping in the next few weeks, stuff I can take with me that will keep for a while, having ideas of just turning up with two suitcases full of food.

All the curry ingredients I can carry, a ton of Twix bars to freeze and eat while still frozen, Fair Trade tea bags, Green and Blacks chocolate, wheaten bread from my favourite bakery in Belfast, Heinz baked beans, HP chilli sauce.....

Howzabout another approach.

Take your trip THROUGH Canada, with a couple-days delay between landing in Canada and going to US.

Then you can get some of the above (the HP sauce and Heinz beans) in Canada and bring them across.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I haven't read the whole thread - but if anyone out there lives in San Francisco or near SF or will travel through SF - here's a good story.

When I met my fiance, I was living in SF, he was living in Lake Tahoe - about 200 miles away, up in the mountains. As part of his travels, he had found some specialty shops along the Cali coast, tucked away, usually in resort towns, that sold $5 packs of 9 McVitties plain choc biscuits, etc. When he came to SF, we googled for places, but to not much luck. So after months of dating - we happened to run up to the corner market that was LITERALLY at the end of the street for milk or whatever. I'd been there before plenty of times. Just a nice neighborhood market, not quite a supermarket, but bigger than a liquor store by far, with a good deli, etc.

Well, lo and behold, there on the wall as you enter: a shrine to imported British food. PILES of digestive biscuits, cadbury bars, crisps, HP Sauce, you name it. All at the end of the street. Of course I'd passed those items before, but didn't recognize their importance, until he was with me.

So, if you're in or around San Francisco, and you need a fix, head to the Inner Sunset neighborhood to Roxie Market on the Corner of 9th Avenue (that's Avenue, NOT street) and Kirkham Street.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Timeline

Take your trip THROUGH Canada, with a couple-days delay between landing in Canada and going to US.

Then you can get some of the above (the HP sauce and Heinz beans) in Canada and bring them across.

I'm going to be flying direct to Philly but I'm already wondering about begging a friend who lives in Buffalo to do a little cross border shopping for me before he comes down to Philly for our wedding.

Great thing about where I'm going to be living is a Gujerati grocery store right across the street so lots of goodies there for me too. They have great samosas and the widest selection of fresh veggies I've seen anywhere I've been in the US.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I'm going to be flying direct to Philly but I'm already wondering about begging a friend who lives in Buffalo to do a little cross border shopping for me before he comes down to Philly for our wedding.

Great thing about where I'm going to be living is a Gujerati grocery store right across the street so lots of goodies there for me too. They have great samosas and the widest selection of fresh veggies I've seen anywhere I've been in the US.

Hey! I live in Buffalo and there are a few grocery stores (Wegmans and Tops) that carry a limited selection of British delights - I've gotten HP sauce, Heinz Baked Beans, Heinz Salad Cream, PG Tips tea bags, Heinz Spotted ####### and Treacle, Birds Custard powder and a variety of tea and digestive biscuits to name a few. Of course, I've had to take out a second mortgage on the house to afford them, BUT worth it to have such good stuff! Now if only we could find a good pork pie (and Branston Pickle) my fiance would be really happy!

Some Brit goods (Ribena, brit candies; you can also get Kissan squashes) will be available at the Gujarati store.

My suggestion of going through Canada was made after I looked at CanadianFavourites--which lets you know you can also order some of the items online (though it will price-clobber you somewhat, it is somewhat convenient).

Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

Some Brit goods (Ribena, brit candies; you can also get Kissan squashes) will be available at the Gujarati store.

My suggestion of going through Canada was made after I looked at CanadianFavourites--which lets you know you can also order some of the items online (though it will price-clobber you somewhat, it is somewhat convenient).

Ribena...my mother thought that was good for me, used to let me drink it neat till the dentist put her right.

I had 6 milk teeth taken out thanks to that stuff.

Still remember the taste with a smile though. :)

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for the Branston pickle explanation..sooooooonot what I thought....will ask Craig if he likes it in a min...forgot to beforenow! I haven't heard him talk about it before though, so must not be a biggie for him!

Ya know...anyone who lives in a bigger city here...or just near a store that sells Brit foods.....would be SO much cheaper to try to make a deal with them to send a package (and send them the money and shipping,etc of course!) than to order anything online at any of these sites, wouldn't it? I mean they import it and then charge you for shipping/handling at WAY marked up prices. I realize theprices are totally jacked in the store too, but wouldn't be *as* bad anyway! MaryLou, I will def. take you up on YOUR offer at some point...since Craig is going back in 3 weeks though, I won't need to do it now...will send you a PM anyway!!! But ...think I will try the buddy system from now on...have to have a person nice enough to be willing to do it for you...but saves some dosh anyway. I could try to return a favor of some sort....I have 2 garbage bags of printed golf tees downstairs *somewhere* yet....if anyone golfs!!! :lol: *have no idea exactly where, but they're there!* M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Thanks for the Branston pickle explanation..sooooooonot what I thought....will ask Craig if he likes it in a min...forgot to beforenow! I haven't heard him talk about it before though, so must not be a biggie for him!

Ya know...anyone who lives in a bigger city here...or just near a store that sells Brit foods.....would be SO much cheaper to try to make a deal with them to send a package (and send them the money and shipping,etc of course!) than to order anything online at any of these sites, wouldn't it? I mean they import it and then charge you for shipping/handling at WAY marked up prices. I realize theprices are totally jacked in the store too, but wouldn't be *as* bad anyway! MaryLou, I will def. take you up on YOUR offer at some point...since Craig is going back in 3 weeks though, I won't need to do it now...will send you a PM anyway!!! But ...think I will try the buddy system from now on...have to have a person nice enough to be willing to do it for you...but saves some dosh anyway. I could try to return a favor of some sort....I have 2 garbage bags of printed golf tees downstairs *somewhere* yet....if anyone golfs!!! :lol: *have no idea exactly where, but they're there!* M.

Hi Michelle,

Im sure you will be sending a list with Craig for goodies to bring back from his trip lol But when you are ready just let me know :) How i wish we could go back to N Ireland :cry: Gary's sister is due to have her baby Feb 15th. Would love to go over after she has the baby, but unfortunately we cant.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline
Craig's going back again?

Yep. and no offense intended, but I don't care to elaborate any more than that. Just mentioned in passing to get to my point about the goodies. Not meaning *you* here all, just a general statement, but I have learned... and I no longer care or want to know what *anyone* thinks about anything that goes on with us....we do what we need to do for us. (Now that you got more of an answer than you asked for, I'm out... ;) M.

disclaimer: unless I specifically ask what anyone thinks. :lol: (which I doubt will ever happen.) :)

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.