ajames79

Fav. all time food and drink in the UK

161 posts in this topic

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ICE, if you like sweet, just buy kettle corn over here...that's sweet instead of salty... probably not exactly the same, but it's an option if you didn't already know about it... :)M.

Hi Michelle :)

Gary and i both love kettle corn. He had never had it before he came here. It's best when you get it at the local fairs :thumbs:

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

mmmm...I get to have fish and chips in...11 days!!

mmmm you are so lucky ....though we were in Chicago this month and found a very authentic English pub - the Elephant & Caste and the fish & chips were spot on!

Anyway, enjoy your trip and more importantly, the cuisine!!!

:) Thanks. I will. Gonna go for an indian too!! Mmmmm Naan bread!

b!tch

:P

I nearly spit my water all over the computer screen. Hee he!

I'll bring some back for you...can't promise it will be any good...but I will!!

Plus Lisa...it will be on the coast of the North Sea at Whitby...best damn fish and chips there are!! SOO fresh! mmmmmm

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: Timeline

mmmm you are so lucky ....though we were in Chicago this month and found a very authentic English pub - the Elephant & Caste and the fish & chips were spot on!

b!tch

Plus Lisa...it will be on the coast of the North Sea at Whitby...best damn fish and chips there are!! SOO fresh! mmmmmm

went for the jugular with that one!!!!

I'll say it again: biznatch! :devil:

b!tch

went for the jugular with that one!!!!

I'll say it again: biznatch! :devil:

as I said I will take pictures for you.

:devil:

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

UPDATE ON WHOLE FOODS STORE !!!!

They are now doing Kerrygold, Lurpak and St Ivel butters !!!! I was in there today and spotted it in the "international cuisine" section. The Kerrygold was $3.00 but it tasted like heaven when I spread it on some Italian Semolina bread (also from Whole Foods - I have to say its the only bread that actually tastes like bread and that can make a decent sandwich - give it a go - really Ive tried them all and this is the best so far).

I also bought a jar of Branston Pickle, a jar of pickled onions, a tube of mcvities choccie digestives, olde english marmalade, and a tin of Batchelor Chip Shop Mushy Peas. Ive been chatting to a UK guy that works at this particular store and he said that he has been influencing the orders for more British food stock and it sells really well. When hula hoops are finally on the shelves, then I will truly have settled here.

Also, in case anyone doesnt know, Target has a Boots aisle. It sells No 7 mainly and Boots own brands, but great for all those little things that you were used to in the UK and didnt think you could get here. Also not too expensive either.

Oh and if anyone lives near Alexandria VA, there is a curry house called Taj Palace which does a very decent curry and very very good nan bread.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

you can also get Kerrygold at Trader Joes.

If you have a World Market near you, they usually have all kinds of stuff you will love.

If you are ever in so-cal there are some places that have spot on bangers and mash, and other specialty items

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

ICE, if you like sweet, just buy kettle corn over here...that's sweet instead of salty... probably not exactly the same, but it's an option if you didn't already know about it... :)M.

I didn't know about it but will definately give it a try! Thanks!

K1

I-129F Sent : 19th October 2005

Interview Date 10th October 2006 10am

Interview Approved 7th November 2006

Visa delivered 9th November 2006

Finally where I belong S.C with my man 19th November 2006 WOOO HOOO!!!

Got Married 14th January 2007

AOS

Sent AOS docs 31st January 2007

USPS confirm delivered to USCIS 06th February 2007

I-797C Notice of Action dtd 9th Feb recvd 12th February 2007 (both my son and myself)

Biometrics Appointment 1st March 2007

Transfered to CSC 11th April 2007

GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 9th July 2007 All done till 2009!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I didn't know about it but will definately give it a try! Thanks!

:thumbs: Hope you like it...and just noticed..congrats on your pregnancy! :) M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Simon hates everything all tucked in, he's happy with only a duvet flopped on top of him and that's it. I have to have everything military tight and neat, and it makes him crazy.

We have a down duvet and I have two gorgeous covers for it. In the summer we just use a light weight cotton coverlet for the bed.

But always a top sheet!! Gotta have a top sheet!! :)

~Liza

Where did ya get your pretty duvet covers??

So sorry, I've been away! :blush:

One set (includes pillow shams) is from Eddie Bauer, and the other set is from Shabby Chic at Target. I've not used that set yet (it was a wedding gift), I'm saving it for when the weather warms up and I can get a light weight duvet because it's just a light weight cotton cover. The Eddie Bauer one is a nice heavy thing and I fill it with a down duvet that is just yummy.

~Liza

10 Year Green Card Holder Since July 2009 --- Thank you Visa Journey!!! :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
UPDATE ON WHOLE FOODS STORE !!!!

They are now doing Kerrygold, Lurpak and St Ivel butters !!!! I was in there today and spotted it in the "international cuisine" section. The Kerrygold was $3.00 but it tasted like heaven when I spread it on some Italian Semolina bread (also from Whole Foods - I have to say its the only bread that actually tastes like bread and that can make a decent sandwich - give it a go - really Ive tried them all and this is the best so far).

I also bought a jar of Branston Pickle, a jar of pickled onions, a tube of mcvities choccie digestives, olde english marmalade, and a tin of Batchelor Chip Shop Mushy Peas. Ive been chatting to a UK guy that works at this particular store and he said that he has been influencing the orders for more British food stock and it sells really well. When hula hoops are finally on the shelves, then I will truly have settled here.

Also, in case anyone doesnt know, Target has a Boots aisle. It sells No 7 mainly and Boots own brands, but great for all those little things that you were used to in the UK and didnt think you could get here. Also not too expensive either.

Oh and if anyone lives near Alexandria VA, there is a curry house called Taj Palace which does a very decent curry and very very good nan bread.

Wow!! I'm going to have to drag Simon to check this out, but we don't shop well together, so it should be interesting. :whistle:

He has been going on and on about getting a proper hot oil fryer to make fish and chips in, I think I'll get him one for his birthday.

I have fallen in love with Branston Pickle!! I'll make a quick snack out of slices of sharp cheddar cheese with some pickle on it - YUMMMMM!!!

So glad to hear about the bread too - he's done nothing but complain about the bread since he got here, it's all to sweet for him. He does bake his own bread, and to me it's all too bland. So now we have two loaves of bread in the house all the time!! :blink:

Thanks for the tip on Whole Foods, I'll have to give it a try!

~Liza

10 Year Green Card Holder Since July 2009 --- Thank you Visa Journey!!! :-)

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I've never tried Branston Pickle but I've heard about it for ages...will have to ask Craig what the big difference is..is it just....cut up pickle??? (he's gone up to bed and can't ask him now, but it's buggin me..will have to Google it or summin. :) hehehe M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I've never tried Branston Pickle but I've heard about it for ages...will have to ask Craig what the big difference is..is it just....cut up pickle??? (he's gone up to bed and can't ask him now, but it's buggin me..will have to Google it or summin. :) hehehe M.

Branston is not actually chopped up pickles - its various veg and I think some apple and its in a tangy brown sauce. I never thought I'd like it, but it comes in large chunk and small chunk and I love the flavor, but prefer the small chunk variety. Cheese and crackers is no longer the same without it!

Michelle - try it, you'll like it!!!!!! :thumbs:

Branston is not actually chopped up pickles - its various veg and I think some apple and its in a tangy brown sauce. I never thought I'd like it, but it comes in large chunk and small chunk and I love the flavor, but prefer the small chunk variety. Cheese and crackers is no longer the same without it!

Michelle - try it, you'll like it!!!!!! :thumbs:

I've never had it either! But I will try it next week!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.